Options

Concert Ticket Prices are Going Way up!

2»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    KICK7071 said:
    I can see my days of large venue shows coming to an end, especially when I can see a band like Black Pistol Fire in a 900 occupant capacity for $40 a ticket.  And with reasonably priced drinks!    Small venues will be the way to go!

Agreed! 
    And sometimes those smaller venue shows are the best anyway.  Just off the top of my head, these were some of the favorite smaller venue shows I've been to:
    -Paul Westerberg
    -Violent Femmes (early says)
    -The Bongos (twice)
    -Harvey Mandel (twice)
    -The Sons of Champlin
    -Young Doctors (three times)
    -Larry Coryell
    -Cecil Taylor
    -Herb Ellis

All great shows (and others I'm not remembering).  Also, more likely to get to meet and greet!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,346
    With taxes and fees the Canadian shows are about $150 per ticket. I still have mine for a couple of the dates. Not sure I'll be going yet as it depends on the Covid situation in September. 

I recognize that many people had their incomes hurt by Covid, which is very unfortunate. 

It'd be super if corporations paid taxes at a comparable rate to public residential taxes, which would help out our social spending everywhere. 

I think I am being priced out of the concert experience as well. I haven't attended a sporting event in approximately five years as I think the at home experience is better once cost is factored in. 

On another topic, I respect the skilled trades careers a lot. The rise in the quotes we've received year over year is pure gouging. We were told putting down paver stones for a patio has seen a "little price increase".... it was going to cost us $3k to 6k more between this summer compared to quotes from the same companies last year. The price of these stones hasn't increased that much! We've decided to do the job ourselves. There's a lot of people who've had the luxury of still working from home, so I guess many contractors, and the entertainment industries figure these individuals will be able to absorb the inflated costs everywhere these days.

Imbecile politicians, greedy capitalists, and hate is leading to so many problems in North America and the world.....let's hope things improve everyone.

Enjoy the shows if you're attending. 
  • Options
    AW124797AW124797 Posts: 646
    edited May 2022
    For those in Brooklyn area - 6/11 The Kills at Brooklyn Steel $40+ and Puscifer 6/25 at Kings Theater $45+. Definitely getting your money's worth. Great venues, both on Saturday. 
  • Options
    BF89905 said:
    With taxes and fees the Canadian shows are about $150 per ticket. I still have mine for a couple of the dates. Not sure I'll be going yet as it depends on the Covid situation in September. 

I recognize that many people had their incomes hurt by Covid, which is very unfortunate. 

It'd be super if corporations paid taxes at a comparable rate to public residential taxes, which would help out our social spending everywhere. 

I think I am being priced out of the concert experience as well. I haven't attended a sporting event in approximately five years as I think the at home experience is better once cost is factored in. 

On another topic, I respect the skilled trades careers a lot. The rise in the quotes we've received year over year is pure gouging. We were told putting down paver stones for a patio has seen a "little price increase".... it was going to cost us $3k to 6k more between this summer compared to quotes from the same companies last year. The price of these stones hasn't increased that much! We've decided to do the job ourselves. There's a lot of people who've had the luxury of still working from home, so I guess many contractors, and the entertainment industries figure these individuals will be able to absorb the inflated costs everywhere these days.

Imbecile politicians, greedy capitalists, and hate is leading to so many problems in North America and the world.....let's hope things improve everyone.

I can confirm the price of stone doubled or tripled in NY area within last 18 months. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,877
    Stone's charging more now to play in N.Y. Area? That's messed up.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Haha. I don't know, but Eddie was $250+ last winter if I'm not mistaken. 
  • Options
    AW124797 said:
    Loujoe said:

Seriously?  Does that include wining and dining with Ed at Le Bernardin?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    Loujoe said:

I think so. Can't find my TM order to verify. No Bernardin nor reheated hot dogs with 2 tickets worth $500.
  • Options
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    Loujoe said:

I think so. Can't find my TM order to verify. No Bernardin nor reheated hot dogs with 2 tickets worth $500.

Yeow!

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,520
    AW124797 said:
    Loujoe said:
    I didn’t go, but IIRC the higher tier tickets were $240, and there was at least one lower priced option.
  • Options
    AW124797 said:
    Loujoe said:
    I didn’t go, but IIRC the higher tier tickets were $240, and there was at least one lower priced option.
    Yes. Found my transaction - $475.85 for 2 tickets to NJ. Other option was lower by $22.84 each. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,112
    I was stoked to see Porcupine Tree back on tour but prices are nuts. Need to sit in the upper level to get in under $100 and that is barely. 

Tons of tickets available and they're charging 4x over what I paid in the past at a venue 2.5x larger than I've ever seen them. I don't get the math. Hopefully Stubhub comes through closer to the show.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,112
    Like others have said, club shows are where it's at. If most of what you want to see is in arenas or larger, you're screwed right now. 
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    My daughter was hired as Chef Intern at concert venue for the summer. (Go, K!) When they interviewed her, they said the job paid $15/hr. When her formal job offer was sent to her to sign, they offered $16/hr. I believe this is because they said she is the only high school senior to apply for the chef intern job who is ServSafe certified by the State of Ohio to cook in a kitchen. I am thankful it seems a better wage is being passed on to those hired.

This is not a tiny venue. It's not a mom and pop lil place. 

We bought one set of $25 all in tickets for a show there. We bought a set to see Sunny Day at HoBlues Cleveland. GA were $39.50 + $10 in fees. I don't think SDRE pricing was bad. 

Prior to the pandemic, by the time fees kicked in, it was $60/ticket to see pretty much anyone at Kent Stage. They had remodeled (it was a dive) but damn. Their capacity is 642.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,082
    AW124797 said:
    BF89905 said:

I can confirm the price of stone doubled or tripled in NY area within last 18 months. 
    Gas hasn't gone up that much to warrant that... Dear lord...
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,316
    It's not just the cost of things going up, wages are going up too, to address the inflation. 

One of the big reasons we probably have inflation is quantitative easing.  Where central banks created money that they used to buy bonds to inject cash into the economy.   They'd either buy them directly from the government, funding the giant deficits, or from places like Financial Instututions where it would it would give banks more room to do more lending...

This generally creates problems, because economics 101 is that capitalism is the goal of allocating a FINITE supply of resources.    If the quantity of goods stays the same, but the amount of cash circulating increases by 40%,  it's going to drive up prices.  Even worse right now because money supply went up and goods supply went down. 

I think it's going to be tough for a bit while we look for a new equilibrium.     People tend to think the supply of goods is infinite, so if everyone had more money in their pocket they would have more goods.  It doesn't quite work like that.  Hence the, they're way more cash circulating now, but now everything costs more....
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,082
    Zod said:
    It's not just the cost of things going up, wages are going up too, to address the inflation. 

One of the big reasons we probably have inflation is quantitative easing.  Where central banks created money that they used to buy bonds to inject cash into the economy.   They'd either buy them directly from the government, funding the giant deficits, or from places like Financial Instututions where it would it would give banks more room to do more lending...

This generally creates problems, because economics 101 is that capitalism is the goal of allocating a FINITE supply of resources.    If the quantity of goods stays the same, but the amount of cash circulating increases by 40%,  it's going to drive up prices.  Even worse right now because money supply went up and goods supply went down. 

I think it's going to be tough for a bit while we look for a new equilibrium.     People tend to think the supply of goods is infinite, so if everyone had more money in their pocket they would have more goods.  It doesn't quite work like that.  Hence the, they're way more cash circulating now, but now everything costs more....
    I'll lean on supply and demand and greed in this case to be the cause.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    THE ONLY band I'd pay over $200 to see would be RUSH. Since they're no more I won't be going to too many concerts going forward. I've paid $175 for each ticket back in 2007 for The Who's last show on the American Tour here in Hollywood FL. Great show considering Roger Daltry had just recovered from a throat infection that cancelled several shows prior to coming here.

One reason ticket prices have risen in the last ten years is due to the fact that this is where most bands make their money. It's not anymore from record sales,  it's completely from touring/merchandising .I will see Joe Satriani come this November in Fort Lauderdale at a 10k venue. Smaller club/venues are the places to see bands for today's concert going fans. 

✌️ 
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,316
    edited May 2022
    I'm definitely more selective.   I've always had to travel for bigger shows (nhl/nba or stadium level bands).  So ticket prices is part of the equation but we've always had to tack on missing days of work, a hotel for a night, ferry/transportation costs, so more often than not, the ticket wasn't the most expensive part about the trip.

Now it's how much are tickets, is it midweek or a weekend (do I need to use vacation days), is it a summer or winter show (so much cheaper to get hotels in the winter) etc... A $300 show for me in November is probably cheaper than $100 show in August.  All that stuff.

We just paid 192.70 for 4th row pumpkins tickets, but it's in november on a stat holiday.  Hotels are inexpensive, don't need vacation days, so even though that's not a cheap ticket, the other associated costs with going to Vancouver are reasonable.

I paid $250usd for pit tickets for GNR in 2016, and $450USD for pretty close Rolling Stones tickets in 2019.   There's some bands that I want to see at least once, so will pony up in case I don't have that option in the future.

Definitely need some of my favourite bar bands to fill in the gaps.  Could really go for a Headstones show :)

The other thing that occurs to me is the amount of bands still active that I would bother to going to an arena/stadium to see, keep dwindling.  At some point there won't be concerts to go to.. :(  Need at least see a handful every year until I can't :)
    Post edited by Zod on