Options

Hiking Thread

Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
edited August 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone here go out this summer?

I just did Cadillac Mountain last week. No keys at the top, just great views of Acadia.
I love to turn you on
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i did the oxfam trailwalker 100 km hike a few weekends ago and then i lead a hiking trip in and around whistler bc for a week ...
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Here in SLC there are some great hikes up Milcreek, Big Cottonwood, and Little Cottonwood Canyons. Gotten some great hikes in this year. Last weekend my girlfriend and I hiked a trail and found the destination to be an awesome view of the entire Wasatch valley...from the east mountains to the west. It was one of those views that just makes you feel so insignificant.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Almost 13 year bump this thread. I’m an avid hiker… I’m at my happiest in the mountains and the forest. Wondering if any folks want to share some photos from treks they have taken. Here are a couple of pics from a morning near Okanagan Falls, BC, Canada.  Walked right past some white tails who didn’t even stand up when I was 5 feet from them. While that is slightly concerning, it was in a designated conservation area southwest of Skaha Lake. 

Looking forward to seeing your pictures or stories from a recent trek! 

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    Will be getting much more into this, especially camping too.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Put in about 20 miles last week. Not a whole lot, but considering I’m on my feet 12 hours a day for work, it’s all I could muster. Still early spring here, hoping things start greening up soon. Yesterday’s hike was nice. 6 miles in the dunes. A nice sunrise and a lots of deer frolicking to and fro.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:
    Put in about 20 miles last week. Not a whole lot, but considering I’m on my feet 12 hours a day for work, it’s all I could muster. Still early spring here, hoping things start greening up soon. Yesterday’s hike was nice. 6 miles in the dunes. A nice sunrise and a lots of deer frolicking to and fro.

Nice photos and 20 miles a week is good for anyone let alone someone who has a job that doesn’t chain them to a desk or steering wheel!
     A couple more pics from some treks this past week:

• Options
    Hi! said:

Nice photos and 20 miles a week is good for anyone let alone someone who has a job that doesn’t chain them to a desk or steering wheel!

Nice. Have you done any thru hikes, overnight hikes? My longest is Manistee River Loop. It’s about 23 miles long. I’ve done that a couple times, it’s a nice quick overnight hike. Lots of people do it in a day, but I like to camp overnight.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:

Nice. Have you done any thru hikes, overnight hikes? My longest is Manistee River Loop. It’s about 23 miles long. I’ve done that a couple times, it’s a nice quick overnight hike. Lots of people do it in a day, but I like to camp overnight.
    I have, but it has been a long time. The most memorable was a 2 night/3 day hike from the White Horse campground near Cadomin,
    Alberta over the Fiddle Pass and down to Miette Hot Springs in Jasper National Park. 

I’m not sure I could handle the weight of the pack for that distance anymore, but I guess you never know until you try right? 
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:

I have, but it has been a long time. The most memorable was a 2 night/3 day hike from the White Horse campground near Cadomin,
    Alberta over the Fiddle Pass and down to Miette Hot Springs in Jasper National Park. 

I’m not sure I could handle the weight of the pack for that distance anymore, but I guess you never know until you try right? 
    Right, pack weight is something I’ve been working on myself. It’s amazing the difference a few ounces can make when doing any sort of distance. I have some decent light weight hiking gear. Nemo tent, a Nemo sleep pad ect. Having a Lifestraw for water instead of packing water will definitely save you some weight. I’m starting to think maybe I should plan less concert getaways and start putting some of my gear to better use. I would honestly love to do some real long thru hikes Appalachian Trail ect. Right now, I use the AllTrails App to find different trails in my area or when traveling. All sorts of different trails to discover, from easy 1 mile hikes to long thru hikes. It’s amazing all the trails I’ve found in my own area that I didn’t even know existed.

• Options
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:

Right, pack weight is something I’ve been working on myself. It’s amazing the difference a few ounces can make when doing any sort of distance. I have some decent light weight hiking gear. Nemo tent, a Nemo sleep pad ect. Having a Lifestraw for water instead of packing water will definitely save you some weight. I’m starting to think maybe I should plan less concert getaways and start putting some of my gear to better use. I would honestly love to do some real long thru hikes Appalachian Trail ect. Right now, I use the AllTrails App to find different trails in my area or when traveling. All sorts of different trails to discover, from easy 1 mile hikes to long thru hikes. It’s amazing all the trails I’ve found in my own area that I didn’t even know existed.
    AllTrails is awesome! Great way to find new treks.