Options

1956 NOS or relic?

seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,213
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
which one is better? they sound the same, but the relic has that cool aged look. but then again its another $400 for it. is it worth it?
they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    To be honest i believe both strats are overpriced.

If you want the vintage sound, and a new instrument, there are cheaper ways to do it, and most likely just as good as buying a "Time Machine" Guitar. When it comes down to it these guitars are mass produced (in limited quantities mind you) and are just another guitar on the assembly line. They use "original spec" pickups and what not what not. Relic guitars are kind of pathetic because it doesnt take that long to rally a guitar, especially if you play live. To rust out metallic parts, dip them in bleach...they get the look. But besides that. If you buy an American Strat, in the colour and neck style of your choice, cut the old pickups out, upgrade the pots and 5 way switch (less than $50) then go buy find some repro pickups to throw in, your going to have a kick ass guitar. Fender Vintage 57/62's are PHENOMENAL pickups, really give the old school sound for under 200 bucks. The tiem machien series all have weird big necks too, and unless you have a chance to play them, it would be quite a suprise to get in the mail. I would suggest building the strat of your choice, because to be honest, in about 10 years the guitar market is going to be over for the most part.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    To be honest i believe both strats are overpriced.

If you want the vintage sound, and a new instrument, there are cheaper ways to do it, and most likely just as good as buying a "Time Machine" Guitar. When it comes down to it these guitars are mass produced (in limited quantities mind you) and are just another guitar on the assembly line. They use "original spec" pickups and what not what not. Relic guitars are kind of pathetic because it doesnt take that long to rally a guitar, especially if you play live. To rust out metallic parts, dip them in bleach...they get the look. But besides that. If you buy an American Strat, in the colour and neck style of your choice, cut the old pickups out, upgrade the pots and 5 way switch (less than $50) then go buy find some repro pickups to throw in, your going to have a kick ass guitar. Fender Vintage 57/62's are PHENOMENAL pickups, really give the old school sound for under 200 bucks. The tiem machien series all have weird big necks too, and unless you have a chance to play them, it would be quite a suprise to get in the mail. I would suggest building the strat of your choice, because to be honest, in about 10 years the guitar market is going to be over for the most part.

I agree with everything you said. Relic guitars are sorta cheating IMO.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    I agree with everything you said. Relic guitars are sorta cheating IMO.

you guys don't think im psycho for knowing everything about strats? i swear i don't work there! although...maybe i should apply? california looks nice

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Options
    you guys don't think im psycho for knowing everything about strats? i swear i don't work there! although...maybe i should apply? california looks nice

If I EVER have a strat question, you will be the guy I go to:p.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638

i did apply after university. :D
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:
    i did apply after university. :D

haha. im not hispanic though, thats probably a major downfall! (ps: im not racist, its just a fender joke!)

• Options
    seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,213
    , because to be honest, in about 10 years the guitar market is going to be over for the most part.
    what do you mean by that?
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Options
    seanw1010 wrote:
    what do you mean by that?

good question,

The Vintage guitar market makes the slope of an Enron stock report look like the bunny hill on the Ski Resorts of Business.

There is one HUGE word that can explain the entire vintage guitar market and it is Authenticity. Because of how easy it is to produce a fake vintage looking guitar, peopel are becoming weary of the purchases. Also companies such as fender and gibson re-releasing factory spec replicas is also pushing the market downhill as peopel woudl rather buy better quality instruments from today then get sketchy ones from yesteryear. Most of all online auctions have killed the market as fakes and repro's, and even modded originals are ruining the life of the authentic originals. Anyone can pass off a half ass looking guitar on Ebay and get someone to buy it, when the next guy with an original is gettign the same price, even though his is real. Within the next ten years, the discrepency between real and fake will be thin, and everyoen but hardcore collectors will most likely be fooled, thus the spite begins. No one will even want old ones because they aren't actually old. It is beginning to catch up to people, but as long as people are counterfitting money, they will be counterfitting guitars, and ruining the vintage market.

• Options
    If you want the old school warn paint finish better off going with a reissue like a '57 etc. Those have the Nitrocellulose lacquer finish and that will wear much cooler then the american standard Polyurethane finish. Polyurethane has a tendancy to just chip. Just ain't the same if you ask me. But other than that I agree the relics aren't worth it.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    If you want the old school warn paint finish better off going with a reissue like a '57 etc. Those have the Nitrocellulose lacquer finish and that will wear much cooler then the american standard Polyurethane finish. Polyurethane has a tendancy to just chip. Just ain't the same if you ask me. But other than that I agree the relics aren't worth it.

yeah i was goign to suggest finding a cheaper reissue that still uses nitro rather than poly, they are out there, the poly really compounds itself to the paint and tears it all off, you can actually wear through the nitro, and its more transparent, so yoru guitar will fade MUCH quicker

• Options
    yeah i was goign to suggest finding a cheaper reissue that still uses nitro rather than poly, they are out there, the poly really compounds itself to the paint and tears it all off, you can actually wear through the nitro, and its more transparent, so yoru guitar will fade MUCH quicker

Nitro is the way, if you want those vintage looking paint wearing out. I have a '62 reissue Jazz bass, with a Nitro finish. It's not my favorite bass, but the now and then I'm playing out, or even during jam sessions, its the one I play. Just because I want to wear the thing out some.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Always buy a relic!
    Why?
    Because no matter how beat up it gets it will always be a relic and no one will be able to tell you which scratch was from the Custom Shop and which one was from you. Buy it beat up and play it!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Options
    JofZ wrote:
    Always buy a relic!
    Why?
    Because no matter how beat up it gets it will always be a relic and no one will be able to tell you which scratch was from the Custom Shop and which one was from you. Buy it beat up and play it!

HAHAHA! Or buy it and beat it up! Although, Strats are the only guitars I like beat up.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Old thread, but I was watching a video on a factory tour of Novo Guitars and they got to the relic part ... I'm not sure what I was expecting (maybe some gnomes that time-aged the guitar with elf magic), but it was just a dopey guy with a fist sized rock and a rail road tie that whacks on it for a while.  Then they stick the body in a meat freezer, like you have in your garage, for a few days to checker the nitro paint. 

:#

I actually like some of the journeyman relic and even the heavy relic is admittedly cool.  Paying premium to have this done is harder for the logical part of my brain now that I know that gnomes are not involved in the process.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    I believe Fender still uses gnomes.   I really like some of the relic jobs that are done.  People say to buy a regular guitar and relic it yourself.  Well, not everyone gigs with guitars.   The cost that Fender or Gibson add is a lot, though.  
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I'm just happy that we live in a world where I can treat my guitar like a maniac and its value will actually increase.  What a country!
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    i love relics. to me, at my age, there is nothing better than buying a broken-in guitar. i do not think i would ever want to invest the time in aging a new guitar naturally at this point. maybe if i was 18 years old i would, but in my mid 40s a brand new guitar is a no go for me.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    edited March 2022
    Go for an 80's AVRI - those strats are bitchin'! I have an 84/'57 and an 84/'62 love them equally
    Post edited by PSUS2H on
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021