Eddie Vedder & The Earthlings
Benaroya Hall
Seattle, WA
February 22, 2022
Show 2
Set list

Band Onstage: 9:15
Band Offstage: 11:19
Walk on music: On My Way-(from the album Earthling)

Earthlings
Eddie Vedder: Vocals, Guitars, Keys
Chris Chaney: Bass
Glen Hansard: Guitars, Keys, bg vocals
Josh Klinghoffer: Guitars, Keys, bg vocals
Chad Smith: Drums
Andrew Watt: Guitars, bg vocals

Opening: Glen Hansard
Olivia Vedder sings Falling Slowly with Glen.

The Earthlings

01. Drive-(Buck, Berry, Mills, Stipe)
02. Here Comes The Sun-(Harrison)
{Ed speaks passionately about the passing of Mark Lanegan}
03. Tender Mercies-(Vedder, Hansen)-(from the film sound track Flag Day) {Ed and Glen Duet}
04. In The Dark-(from the album Earthling)
05. Invincible-(from the album Earthling)
06. Long Way-(from the album Earthling) w/ Harper Vedder bg vocals
07. The Haves--(from the album Earthling)
08. Brother The Cloud-(from the album Earthling)
09. Fallout Today-(from the album Earthling)
{“This is for my friend, just a little of it”)
10. In My Tree-(Ed plays about 1:30 of In My Tree. Starts off by himself on electric guitar.  Chad and others slowly come in but it never becomes a full blown version of the song)
11. Wishlist
12. My Father’s Daughter(Vedder, Hansard)-(from the film sound track Flag Day) Olivia Vedder lead vocal
13.  Try-(from the album Earthling) Olivia counts the song in.
14.  Chad-O
(Rose is timed to start at 22:22  on 02/22/22 measured by 24 hour clock)
15. Rose Of Jericho-(from the album Earthling)
16. I Got ID/Cinnamon Girl-(Young) Cinnamon Girl is the chorus only.  (Lasts 38 seconds)
17. Lukin
{Ed talks about doing good works and the homeless problem and not giving up}
18. Give Blood-(Townshend)
19. Porch

Encore Break

20. Better Man/People Have The Power-(Smith, Smith) (People/Power tag 1:38)
21. Isn’t It A Pity-(Harrison)
22. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young) w/ Olivia and Harper Vedder (At one point in the song Chad plays guitar and Josh K plays drums)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Ed talking about Lanegan was a real tear jerker for me. The solo songs like Jericho rock way harder live.

I GOT ID into Cinnamon Girl! Didn’t see that one coming. 

BTW Andrew Watt wails on the guitar. 
  • Options
    I was up towards the front right across the aisle from Mrs. Vedder, Olivia, Harper and their friends.  It was fun to see all the interaction of family and friends together.  I saw Mrs. Vedder pull out the set list and hand it to Harper about 3 songs into the show.  I made sure not to look at it as I didn't want any spoilers.  Also caught Harper playing Wordle at one point which I thought was adorable.  Some guy proposed to his girlfriend and with the help of Mrs. Vedder, they were able to get Ed's attention and he came down and sung to them from the front of the stage, that was cool.  Saw a lady right behind us get hit in the face with one of Chad Smith's drum sticks, blood everywhere.  Good times!
    Gorge
  • Options
    heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 352
    edited February 2022
    In the night one thread, I saw someone wonder whether the threads have been quiet because the shows are "underwhelming," and I can only speak to my own experience but I certainly did not find this show underwhelming in any way. Even with the weight of grief over Lanegan's death occupying the room, this was as joyful a show as I've seen in quite some time.

Without projecting or presuming too much, Ed seems really energized by these songs and this band, and the experience of making the record and playing this handful of shows. That really comes through in the performance. This is not to say that Pearl Jam shows can't be/haven't been joyful, communal experiences but the band has been together 30 years, they're playing stadiums and, as much as they try to personalize each show, each experience, there has been, at times, a workmanlike quality about the performances. I think that's a pretty natural result of being a massively successful band for three decades. 

The dynamic among the Earthlings is different because the band and circumstances are different, it's that simple. I don't know how many, if any, folks have attended these shows hoping to see a bunch of Pearl Jam songs played by a different band with the same singer but, if that has been someone's expectation, I imagine that person came away surprised or disappointed. This is a wholly different experience. The band is loose, and Watt and Klinghoffer are very clearly enormous PJ/EV fans, and seeing that cocktail of awe and adrenaline work its way through them over the course of the show is pretty damn fun. The new songs sound great — band is tight but not robotic — and the few older numbers or covers they tossed in fit perfectly into place. The record and the live dynamic remind me a bit of Springsteen's Human Touch era, and that's meant as a compliment. Again, if someone came into the shows hoping for or expecting the same sort of transportive, transcendent experience as a Pearl Jam show, with that same sort of emotional gravity, they may have come away disappointed but that's not what I was looking for. I came to see maybe the best rock n roll singer of the last 30 years front a very good band, and that's what Ed and the Earthlings delivered.

The Lanegan stuff was heavy, and it hung in the room for most of the night (as it should have, and should continue to do, given Lanegan's impact on the city and the scene) but there was no competition between that grief and the joy of the band, of Ed being home amongst family and friends. There was space for both. Seeing Olivia and Harper on stage was moving, although also a reminder of how much time has passed, as I've been following this band since I was Harper's age.

The band is great but busy, and by that I mean Chad plays hard and plays a LOT; Watt's solos are more often than not ALOTTANOTESREALFAST, which is fine but some musicality and melody get lost, for me, when everyone's playing that much, at the same time. Klinghoffer is a perfect utility player for this band and I imagine he'll be so in Pearl Jam, as well. Hansard, too, fills a really perfect space alongside Ed's voice and the band's noise, with a bit more subtlety than Watt or Chad. 

I dunno. I dunno what to tell folks other than if you go in expecting an experience similar to Pearl Jam or Ed's solo acoustic stuff, you may come away without having that expectation met; if, however, you go in open to simply sharing in a communal release of several years' worth of pent-up energy and anxiety, I can't imagine you'd be underwhelmed in any way. 

I do hope some of the merch becomes available online at some point, as I drove up from Portland and, with a 15-month-old daughter at home, needed to get back right after the gig and get back to being a parent, and prior to the sets spent time catching up with friends I hadn't seen since I lived in Seattle, so missed out on the shirts, posters, etc etc etc. It all looked cool though. Hope to find it here or elsewhere online at some point soon.

Hope this was helpful to folks who won't be able to make a show this run. I'm less interested in a blow-by-blow, song-by-song recap (though there was a proposal during "The Haves," which was very sweet, and someone passed Ed a note that said "Weed for Whipping" which prompted a couple of quips about Ed needing coke, more than weed, to keep up with Chad) than I am trying to give folks a sense of how these shows are different. 
    Post edited by heartofadog on
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (5/30), Seattle, WA (10/22), 
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (2/22), New York, NY (9/10), New York, NY (9/11), Camden, NJ (9/14), Denver, CO (9/22)
    2023: St. Paul, MN (8/31), St. Paul, MN (9/02)
  • Options
    DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 926
    In the night one thread, I saw someone wonder whether the threads have been quiet because the shows are "underwhelming," and I can only speak to my own experience but I certainly did not find this show underwhelming in any way. Even with the weight of grief over Lanegan's death occupying the room, this was as joyful a show as I've seen in quite some time.

Without projecting or presuming too much, Ed seems really energized by these songs and this band, and the experience of making the record and playing these handful of shows. That really comes through in the performance. This is not to say that Pearl Jam shows can't be/haven't been joyful, communal experiences but the band has been together 30 years, they're playing stadiums and, as much as they try to personalize each show, each experience, there has been, at times, a workmanlike quality about the performances. I think that's a pretty natural result of being a massively successful band for three decades. 

The dynamic among the Earthlings is different because the band and circumstances are different, it's that simple. I don't know how many, if any, folks have attended these shows hoping to see a bunch of Pearl Jam songs played by a different band with the same singer but, if that has been someone's expectation, I imagine that person came away surprised or disappointed. This is a wholly different experience. The band is loose, and Watt and Klinghoffer are very clearly enormous PJ/EV fans, and seeing that cocktail of awe and adrenaline work its way through them over the course of the show is pretty damn fun. The new songs sound great — band is tight but not robotic — and the few older numbers or covers they tossed in fit perfectly into place. The record and the live dynamic remind me a bit of Springsteen's Human Touch era, and that's meant as a compliment. Again, if someone came into the shows hoping for or expecting the same sort of transportive, transcendent experience as a Pearl Jam show, with that same sort of emotional gravity, they may have come away disappointed but that's not what I was looking for. I came to see maybe the best rock n roll singer of the last 30 years front a very good band, and that's what Ed and the Earthlings delivered.

The Lanegan stuff was heavy, and it hung in the room for most of the night (as it should have, and should continue to do, given Lanegan's impact on the city and the scene) but there was no competition between that grief and the joy of the band, of Ed being home amongst family and friends. There was space for both. Seeing Olivia and Harper on stage was moving, although also a reminder of how much time has passed, as I've been following this band since I was Harper's age.

The band is great but busy, and by that I mean Chad plays hard and plays a LOT; Watt's solos are more often than not ALOTTANOTESREALFAST, which is fine but some musicality and melody get lost, for me, when everyone's playing that much, at the same time. Klinghoffer is a perfect utility player for this band and I imagine he'll be so in Pearl Jam, as well. Hansard, too, fills a really perfect space alongside Ed's voice and the band's noise, with a bit more subtlety than Watt or Chad. 

I dunno. I dunno what to tell folks other than if you go in expecting an experience similar to Pearl Jam or Ed's solo acoustic stuff, you may come away without having that expectation met; if, however, you go in open to simply sharing in a communal release of several years' worth of pent-up energy and anxiety, I can't imagine you'd be underwhelmed in any way. 

I do hope some of the merch becomes available online at some point, as I drove up from Portland and, with a 15-month-old daughter at home, needed to get back right after the gig and get back to being a parent, and prior to the sets spent time catching up with friends I hadn't seen since I lived in Seattle, so missed out on the shirts, posters, etc etc etc. It all looked cool though. Hope to find it here or elsewhere online at some point soon.

Hope this was helpful to folks who won't be able to make a show this run. I'm less interested in a blow-by-blow, song-by-song recap (though there was a proposal during "The Haves," which was very sweet, and someone passed Ed a note that said "Weed for Whipping" which prompted a couple of quips about Ed needing coke, more than weed, to keep up with Chad) than I am trying to give folks a sense of how these shows are different. 
    thank you! this helps with my expectations for Sunday night!
  • Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 713
    edited February 2022
    heartofadog - GREAT review and I couldn’t agree more concerning how you framed what the shows are really like/about.

LOVE the AW/JK effect. Completely agree w/you regarding their energy and impact.  

I saw the Newark show a few weeks back. Such a FUN show. Tons of energy.  

So glad I got to see them on this little run... I hope they go back out on the road at some point after PJ tours 🤞 
    Post edited by bigbiggzy on
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    ^Great review, and I would agree on most points.  I enjoyed these shows as much as some recently attended PJ shows (dare I say even more than some) and that is not at all a knock on Pearl Jam, but rather a testament to this group of musicians.  Go see them if you get the chance.
  • Options
    Amen to that! 
  • Options
    Herd BehaviorHerd Behavior Nashville Posts: 5

Without projecting or presuming too much, Ed seems really energized by these songs and this band, and the experience of making the record and playing these handful of shows. That really comes through in the performance. This is not to say that Pearl Jam shows can't be/haven't been joyful, communal experiences but the band has been together 30 years, they're playing stadiums and, as much as they try to personalize each show, each experience, there has been, at times, a workmanlike quality about the performances. I think that's a pretty natural result of being a massively successful band for three decades. 

One of the best reviews I have seen on here!  Well crafted.
  • Options
    thunderrd34thunderrd34 Brooklyn, N.Y. Posts: 20
    edited February 2022
    I have been lucky enough to see all 7 shows thus far and Seattle 2 I thought was by far the best, after I thought Seattle 1 may have been my least favorite. The more time together they have had, the more songs they have practiced, leading to the holy s—t unexpected moments like I Got ID last night, and the more comfortable in general they are playing together. Benaroya 2 was a very “loose” show in a great way. Andrew Watt is sensational in every way onstage (besides his stupid outfits lol). The chemistry onstage between EV and Glen is similarly amazing and continues to grow even after many performances together over many years. I expect 2 more great shows to wrap this up.
    Post edited by thunderrd34 on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Ed talking about Lanegan was a real tear jerker for me. The solo songs like Jericho rock way harder live.

I GOT ID into Cinnamon Girl! Didn’t see that one coming. 

BTW Andrew Watt wails on the guitar. 
    Similar chords, Ed mentioned in past tour the song was inspired by that song. Also, Neil plays lead on Id. Connections!! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Imagine being at Ohana night one and you are expecting an Ed solo set, mandolin, uke, and the white strat etc.  Wait a minute, drums, bass and guitar stacks? This band walks out and just blows everyone away with a killer rock show.  Just when I start to think Ed was getting a bit soft, he brings this band with great covers and new music.  I was also able to catch NYC 1 and NJPAC.  So good.  The record is good and the band rocks. Josh, Andrew and Chad bring SO MUCH ENERGY!  Ed is completely inspired by them.  Kinda reminds me of when Ed played with Betchadupa and covered the Split Enz songs. Totally agree with heartofadog, not PJ, not ED, something brand new and really good!
  • Options
    Oh my gosh @ PTPJ, I can believe you saw that. That was my girl that got clocked in the face with Chad's drum stick...It came outta no where after I had just picked up the first stick. Poor girl couldn't stop bleeding. No joke about blood everywhere. It was copious amounts. Totally crazy! Even crazier that there wasn't a medic in sight?? What's up with that? She's alright and no broken nose, just some bruising and a black eye surfacing. Stellar show tho.....The band, Eddie....Felt amazing to see live music again and dance it all out. 
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,193
    Twirlgirl said:
    Oh my gosh @ PTPJ, I can believe you saw that. That was my girl that got clocked in the face with Chad's drum stick...It came outta no where after I had just picked up the first stick. Poor girl couldn't stop bleeding. No joke about blood everywhere. It was copious amounts. Totally crazy! Even crazier that there wasn't a medic in sight?? What's up with that? She's alright and no broken nose, just some bruising and a black eye surfacing. Stellar show tho.....The band, Eddie....Felt amazing to see live music again and dance it all out. 
    Oh man that brutal! But what a story! Hope your lady is healing up all right. 👍🏻
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    rjbinneyrjbinney Posts: 18
    Of course there's always one big guy who runs from the back to the front every time there's a pick, drumstick, tambourine being thrown out, so he can push people out of the way - even after he gets swag...

Hey - I usually don't listen to shows that I've been to (few exceptions), I like to let the show speak for itself. But "Give Blood" is a fave and I was psyched to hear it. Does anyone know if 10C will be selling CDs of the shows? Or do Chad's, Josh's, et al's contracts screw all that up?

Alternately - any good sites for boots? Dime hasn't had them.

Thanks!