Options

Look like it's time to hang up the dreadnoughts

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
Lately, most of the time I've been playing my Martin DX1 "Little Martin" because it is small and easy to play.  Last night, I pulled out one of my D-18s because they have been sitting idle too long.  After about 15 or 20 minutes, I started to get a sharp pain in my wrist and tingling and numbness in my fingers.  Drat!  Carpel tunnel again!  I had to wear my wrist brace all night and all morning today.  It's really tough having to face the thought that playing those D-18 with their full, rich sound may be a thing of the past.  I wish I had worked better at my playing posture and taken better care of my hands all those years earlier. 
Sorry if this sounds whiny.  It's just weird having to make the adjustment.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Sorry to hear this! Are there any exercises you can do to strengthen your wrists so you can keep playing them?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    probably just need to adjust your fretting technique. don't flex your wrist as much. there are physical therapists that specialize in musicians that play fretted instruments that can help prevent carpal tunnel syndrome. maybe someone like that can help?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    That really sucks.  My brother is in construction and doesn’t play as much guitar as something similar seems to happen.  
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    probably just need to adjust your fretting technique. don't flex your wrist as much. there are physical therapists that specialize in musicians that play fretted instruments that can help prevent carpal tunnel syndrome. maybe someone like that can help?
    This. There are ways around the pain with help. I had something similar when I was working with my hands on tedious electronics for 15 hours a day. Playing guitar was a lot more challenging and painful. 

For me, simply playing while standing corrected my fretting hand position enough that I could comfortably play for hours. Now, I either play standing up or I try to achieve a similar wrist geometry while sitting. 

Either way, I hope you can get better and keep on playing,  Brian. Having been there, I know how much it sucks. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    Thank you guys!  I really appreciate the suggestions and good thoughts.  You guys are great! 

Both of my dreadnoughts only have a strap button on the butt end of the body and I've never felt comfortable with tying the other end of the strap to the head- it always feels awkward.    I might look into having a strap button added to the body at the neck end though not sure if that's a good idea.  I had an acoustic like that many years ago but don't recall how well that worked with a strap. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Oh yeah, another thought, has any one tries this kind of strap?  I'm never seen anyone other than Willie use one, but it looks like a good possibility.
    When an acoustic guitar does not have a strap button on the heel of the  instrument is there any better way to attach them a shoulder strap to the  guitar than to

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,833
    That stinks Bri!  I would go to a pt and see if they can help. Good luck.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Bri, one of your D18s?!?! Do tell.  
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    mcgruff10 said:

Ah oh, major flub!  One D-18 I bought new in 1975.  The other dreadnought is a Martin DX1R, same size as the D-18 but a more affordable guitar.  It's the one lying on the floor here:
    IMG

(Old photo, I sold the Act One with the plaid pick guard 4 or 5 years ago as well as the little red amp to the left. 
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Thank you guys!  I really appreciate the suggestions and good thoughts.  You guys are great! 

Both of my dreadnoughts only have a strap button on the butt end of the body and I've never felt comfortable with tying the other end of the strap to the head- it always feels awkward.    I might look into having a strap button added to the body at the neck end though not sure if that's a good idea.  I had an acoustic like that many years ago but don't recall how well that worked with a strap. 
    i had a strap button added to the neck attachment of my gibson acoustic a few years ago. it cost me $5 and the guy did it in 2 minutes.

he put it on position 5 from the link below. works really well for me.

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/online-resources/hardware-installation/wheres-the-best-spot-for-your-strap-button-/
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    brianlux said:

i had a strap button added to the neck attachment of my gibson acoustic a few years ago. it cost me $5 and the guy did it in 2 minutes.

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/online-resources/hardware-installation/wheres-the-best-spot-for-your-strap-button-/

Will definitely consider that, thank bud!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

i was thinking it might get in my way, but my acoustic does not have a cutaway so i would not be playing that high up on the fretboard anyway. it also takes the stress off of your hand and having to support the weight of the neck on your hand. it feels like strapping an electric guitar on instead of having to support the neck with my hand.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

i was thinking it might get in my way, but my acoustic does not have a cutaway so i would not be playing that high up on the fretboard anyway. it also takes the stress off of your hand and having to support the weight of the neck on your hand. it feels like strapping an electric guitar on instead of having to support the neck with my hand.

That sounds doable!

• Options
    edited February 2022
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Ah oh, major flub!  One D-18 I bought new in 1975.  The other dreadnought is a Martin DX1R, same size as the D-18 but a more affordable guitar.  It's the one lying on the floor here:
    IMG

(Old photo, I sold the Act One with the plaid pick guard 4 or 5 years ago as well as the little red amp to the left. 
    Beautiful guitars! That d18 predates me by two years.  ;)
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:

IMG

Beautiful guitars! That d18 predates me by years.  ;)

Well played, young man:smiley: