Whoopi Goldberg suspended from "The View"

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
edited February 2022 in A Moving Train
Haven't seen Ghost in ages. The "bad guy" trying to get with Demi Moore in that film has a small role in the beginning of Friday the 12th part 6: Jason Lives. I f you remember the American Express-gag in that film.

Anyways.

Whoopi Goldberg Apologizes and Seemingly Doubles Down on Holocaust Comments

"I don't want to fake apologize. ... You can't call this racism," Goldberg said on 'The Late Show With Stephen Colbert.' "I think of race as being something that I can see. How can you say it's about race when you're fighting each other?"

Whoopi Goldberg Says Holocaust Not About Race – The Hollywood Reporter

Is this just semantics? Or is the distinction fundamental? Discuss away Jamz and Faithz. 
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    The world is going mad.   I think Whoopi was debating a point and right or wrong I don’t think she had any ill will against Jews.  Can we stop trying to shut down everyone that says something we don’t like?
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    The world is going mad.   I think Whoopi was debating a point and right or wrong I don’t think she had any ill will against Jews.  Can we stop trying to shut down everyone that says something we don’t like?
    No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
  • The world is going mad.   I think Whoopi was debating a point and right or wrong I don’t think she had any ill will against Jews.  Can we stop trying to shut down everyone that says something we don’t like?
    Umm, her last name is "Goldberg"...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    It was an ignorant point but I get it...she wasn't denying the holocaust or downplaying it. She was just saying it was about hate and not race since Jewish people are white.

Big fucking deal
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    It’s funny what people get mad about and even funnier what they don’t get mad about. And im
    speaking in general, not directed at any posters here. 
  • It was an ignorant point but I get it...she wasn't denying the holocaust or downplaying it. She was just saying it was about hate and not race since Jewish people are white.

Big fucking deal
    Yeah but wasn't Hitlers whole deal to make white Arian super babies?  He hated blacks and any other race that wasn't Arian. 

When you talk about the holocaust you have to tread lightly as it is the one thing that you will get cut down quickly for.

I don't see what she said as egregious, wrong sure.  I see where she was going with it. 
    Not her real name. Wonder why she chose it. 
    It was an ignorant point but I get it...she wasn't denying the holocaust or downplaying it. She was just saying it was about hate and not race since Jewish people are white.

Big fucking deal
    Yeah but wasn't Hitlers whole deal to make white Arian super babies?  He hated blacks and any other race that wasn't Arian. 

When you talk about the holocaust you have to tread lightly as it is the one thing that you will get cut down quickly for.

I don't see what she said as egregious, wrong sure.  I see where she was going with it. 
    yeah it was ignorant for sure...but totally blown out of proportion. Everyone is acting like she's a denier.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2022
    A piece of trivia: In Sweden we do not even come close to ever use the word "race" when it comes to human beings. We are all part of the same race. We use "ethnic groups" or "peoples". Because of the "view" - PUN INTENDED - of races being central to racism. Here, we are not discusses as being different races.

We do use "races" for animals, like different races of dogs and cats (dograce / catrace), which in English is "breeds" instead.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited February 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    Not her real name. Wonder why she chose it. 
    Not a definitive answer, but some info:

About her stage surname, she claimed in 2011, "My mother did not name me Whoopi, but Goldberg is my name—it's part of my family, part of my heritage, just like being black", and "I just know I am Jewish. I practice nothing. I don't go to temple, but I do remember the holidays."[16] She has stated that "people would say 'Come on, are you Jewish?' And I always say 'Would you ask me that if I was white? I bet not.'"[16] One account recalls that her mother, Emma Johnson, thought the family's original surname was "not Jewish enough" for her daughter to become a star.[16] Researcher Henry Louis Gates Jr. found that all of Goldberg's traceable ancestors were African Americans, that she had no known German or Jewish ancestry, and that none of her ancestors were named Goldberg.[12] Results of a DNA test, revealed in the 2006 PBS documentary African American Lives, traced part of her ancestry to the Papel and Bayote people of modern-day Guinea-Bissau. Her admixture test indicates that she is of 92 percent sub-Saharan African origin and of 8 percent European origin.[17]
  • It was an ignorant point but I get it...she wasn't denying the holocaust or downplaying it. She was just saying it was about hate and not race since Jewish people are white.

Big fucking deal

yeah it was ignorant for sure...but totally blown out of proportion. Everyone is acting like she's a denier.
    Because when you go at the Holocaust in any disparaging way it doesn't end well.

remember when Marjorie said about the vaccine and wearing the stars thing?  She got lit up pretty good for that.
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    I don’t know anything but my guess it’s a matter of everyone being treated equally(?).  Say something questionable and get suspended, etc. no matter your race, religion, and so on.  I knew what she meant but unfortunately it may have just been bad word choices. 

Big fucking deal

Because when you go at the Holocaust in any disparaging way it doesn't end well.

remember when Marjorie said about the vaccine and wearing the stars thing?  She got lit up pretty good for that.
    Yes I remember that comment...not sure who Marjorie is though. But that type of comment downplays the HC...comparing death and hatred to trying to save people's lives.  Whoopi's comment was just ignorance (i.e. Jewish people are white so it was about hate not race)

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    nicknyr15 said:
    It’s funny what people get mad about and even funnier what they don’t get mad about. And im
    speaking in general, not directed at any posters here. 
    Hahaha I assumed you were talking more about politicians.  
    edited February 2022
    Gern Blansten said:

.not sure who Marjorie is though.

Twitter suspended Ms. Greene’s account after she tweeted on Saturday, falsely, about “extremely high amounts of Covid vaccine deaths.” She included a misleading chart that pulled information from a government database of unverified raw data called the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, or VAERS, a decades-old system that relies on self-reported cases from patients and health care providers.

Twitter said that Ms. Greene had a fifth “strike,” which meant that her account will not be restored. The company had issued her a fourth strike in August after she falsely posted that the vaccines were “failing.” Ms. Greene was given a third strike less than a month before that when she had tweeted that Covid-19 was not dangerous and that vaccines should not be mandated.

Greene tweeted that "there was MASS voter fraud on a scale that should terrify every American regardless of political party."

Greene repeatedly called the presidential election "stolen." She repeatedly referred to some of President-elect Joe Biden's electoral votes as "fraudulent." And she explicitly claimed that Biden "lost" the election and Trump "won."

Greene criticized Gabriel Sterling, a senior official in the office of Georgia's top elections official, Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger. She tweeted, "You ran a Nov 3rd election that was stolen bc you idiots at the SOS mailed out millions of absentee ballots to any one and everyone while GA was an open state."

Greene tweeted: "... Georgia state leaders refused to listen to Georgia tax payers. They refused to change anything after allowing @realDonaldTrump's election to be stolen. And they refused to #StopTheSteaI with our two senate seats."

The day after Twitter banned Trump's @realDonaldTrump account, Greene tweeted, "Yesterday they crushed the First Amendment. You can see what's coming next. I vow to do everything I can to protect American's Second Amendment rights."

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    Gern Blansten said:

Twitter on Sunday permanently suspended the personal account of Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a Republican of Georgia, after the company said she had violated its Covid-19 misinformation policies.

Twitter suspended Ms. Greene’s account after she tweeted on Saturday, falsely, about “extremely high amounts of Covid vaccine deaths.” She included a misleading chart that pulled information from a government database of unverified raw data called the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, or VAERS, a decades-old system that relies on self-reported cases from patients and health care providers.

Twitter said that Ms. Greene had a fifth “strike,” which meant that her account will not be restored. The company had issued her a fourth strike in August after she falsely posted that the vaccines were “failing.” Ms. Greene was given a third strike less than a month before that when she had tweeted that Covid-19 was not dangerous and that vaccines should not be mandated.

oh yes that idiot....figures

• Gern Blansten said:

Twitter on Sunday permanently suspended the personal account of Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a Republican of Georgia, after the company said she had violated its Covid-19 misinformation policies.

She also mentioned the "Jewish death star" too so, yes.  She is indeed an idiot.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    to be fair though, the holocaust targeted more than just jewish people. it was cleansing on a massive scale. the disabled were euthanized or sterilized. while the jews were the primary targeted group, the nazis also targeted gypsies and other european ethnic groups. they also targeted liberals and some educators and scientists.

the holocaust was not just ghettos, trains, and death camps. it was also nazi ss death squads (einsatzgruppen) going from village to village all over europe and committing mass shootings of jews and other ethnic groups. the camps came later because the nazis were concerned about the high volumes of bullets being used, each victim was to be shot 3 times, and the commanders were concerned about the psychological toll the executions were taking on the einsatzgruppen units.

the holocaust was much bigger than what we usually think about.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited February 2022
    Gern Blansten said:

She also mentioned the "Jewish death star" too so, yes.  She is indeed an idiot.