R.I.P Ronnie Spector

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
Terribly sad news.  Ronnie Spector, leader of the Ronnettes and singer of "Be My Baby", has died at age 78.
R.I.P. Ronnie.  Thanks for the great music.
Ronnie Spector 3960s icon who sang 39Be My Baby39 dies at 78

Ronnie Spector Dead Iconic Be My Baby Singer Who FrontedThe Ronettes Was  78  Deadline
https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-music-arts-and-entertainment-phil-spector-ronnie-spector-84c905db02a01ffa43a6052c3ce66920

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Sad news indeed. A true legend in pop music.

RIP
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Ronnie did many great songs but i love All I Want. It was on her 2006 record, it was a cover but even in her 60s she was great, it was like that song was made for her. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    Have one or two of her well loved 45s. Will dig them out soon. 
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I was today year's old when I found out the Rolling Stones OPENED for Ronnie Spector on one of their earliest tours.. How did that factoid miss me all these years?

She seems to have been quite the survivor and hopefully felt she thrived in her later years despite so much hardship and the way Phil Spector treated her.  I heard today on a story about her that his abuse was so twisted, he used to keep an actual coffin for in the basement of their home to remind her what would happen if she ever left him. 

She did win a lawsuit for her & the Ronnettes share of royalties for their songs with Spector, so that must've felt like a victory on many levels.  Too bad the legal fight took 15 years to win.

She was a fire cracker and that voice... that voice!  I hope she's resting in so much peace now.  I know there are many who preceeded her in going to the Great Beyond who are ecstatic to have her voice there now <3
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    JH6056 said:
    I was today year's old when I found out the Rolling Stones OPENED for Ronnie Spector on one of their earliest tours.. How did that factoid miss me all these years?

She seems to have been quite the survivor and hopefully felt she thrived in her later years despite so much hardship and the way Phil Spector treated her.  I heard today on a story about her that his abuse was so twisted, he used to keep an actual coffin for in the basement of their home to remind her what would happen if she ever left him. 

She did win a lawsuit for her & the Ronnettes share of royalties for their songs with Spector, so that must've felt like a victory on many levels.  Too bad the legal fight took 15 years to win.

She was a fire cracker and that voice... that voice!  I hope she's resting in so much peace now.  I know there are many who preceeded her in going to the Great Beyond who are ecstatic to have her voice there now <3
    A fine post. JH (and now I can say "I was today year's old when I learned what 'today year's old' means, lol!)
    Ronnie must have been an incredibly strong and courageous woman to have gone through all that abuse and still come through as well and together and amazing as she did.  A true gift to the world of music.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.