Options

Best version of "Long Road"?

covincovin Posts: 42
edited August 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Anyone want to share their opinion? I love the studio version, but it strikes me as a song that would be much better live. Preferably I'd like to find it from the '00, '03, or '06 tour so I can burn it to my hard drive.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    San Diego 2006. The little story leading up to it is great. It was played as the first song in the first encore.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    ronyrony Posts: 212
    without doubt the san diego version from this year, it has a deadly intro to it were ed explains how the song was made ( i won't ruin it for you buts its really really cool)

i wasn't a big fan of this song until i heard this version
  • Options
    In my opinion, all versions of this song are excellent, such a great tune. Its the one opener I really need to see before I die...

Anyway, some standouts:

Phoenix 2000
    San Diego 2006
    Borgota 1 2005
    9/21/01 A Tribute to Heroes Benefit (just Ed, Mike, and Neil Young)
  • Options
    I agree, San Diego '06 is a great one. A couple more of my favorites are:

Kitchener '05
    Denver '06
    Phoenix '00 (had to edit to include this one after ejny's post)
  • Options
    FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    one more vote to San Diego 2006...one of the best live moments ever....

the one aforementioned with neil young and mike and the one with Nusrath Fateh Ali Khan are too amazing as rarities
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    san diego has the story but he messes up the words a bit in the song ... my favourite version is the Kitchener 2005 version ... he changes it up at the end to give it that added emotion ...

i'm just thankful i got to hear this song live and to open a show ... my favourite opener ...
  • Options
    Some great ones:
    Porto Alegre 2005
    West Palm Beach 2003
    Phoenix 2000

and:
    A Tribute To Heroes (acoustic, just Ed, Mike, Neil Young)
    Groundwork 2001 (extended, with Rahat Fateh Ali Khan chanting, this version gives me goosebumps)

ps)An intro doesn't make a version of a song great, no matter how moving it is. You can crossfade the intro to any version you'd like and it'd still have a big impact..)
    MSG 1&2 2003
    Boston 3 2003
    Milan 2006
    Athens 2006
  • Options
    BCbteBCbte Posts: 61
    The one from Touring Band 2000 gives me the chills. Amazing. Must find that San Diego version. Is there anyone who could email it to me?!
    Put the garbage in the garbage can... I can't stress that enough.
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Will do.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    To make it easy and for anyone else who cares to have it, here's the link for San Diego:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=764CA268471E0C88
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    FoGFoG Posts: 34
    Johhny Yen wrote:
    ps)An intro doesn't make a version of a song great, no matter how moving it is. You can crossfade the intro to any version you'd like and it'd still have a big impact..)

You couldn't crossfade the San Diego intro into another version...it literally woudn't be possible.

The spoken song intro and the musical intro are intertwined...thus making it the best "Long Road" there is.
    Of course I value your opinion. It's what makes you wrong and me right.
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    boston 3 03
  • Options
    IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    boston 3 03

yes or Hartford 96
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    The version from Borgata 1 is my personal favorite. It was a flawless version with the crowd singing "We all walk the long road" for a couple of minutes at the end. I've never heard that before.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    sebaarg88sebaarg88 Posts: 1,277
    Phoenix 2000, San Diego '06 is very moving with the story behind it, but Ed fucked up the lyrics a little, so, Phoenix 2000
    only love can break your heart
    but only love can brake your fall
  • Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    dharma69 wrote:
    To make it easy and for anyone else who cares to have it, here's the link for San Diego:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=764CA268471E0C88
    ;)
  • Options
    crowbarcrowbar Posts: 2
    I saw them do the Long Road in Denver this year. It was the first time I'd seen them play it out of 6-7 awesome shows I've seen over the years. I really like this song. When they played it, they came out and the lights were really low and they sort of pulsated with the low beginnings of the music. I had chills and the hair stood up on my neck and didn't stop the entire song. My girlfriend had tears in her eyes and I just about did. I'm not exaggerating and I've seen a shit load of live music. It was one of the high points of all my PJ experiences. All music is subjective but I can guarantee it probably sounds killer on the bootleg. Anyway, I haven't heard the bootlegs yet because I'm still on dialup. Nor have I heard any of those other versions of the song but I can guarantee none will ever be better than that one to me- unless at a show.
  • Options
    bacchanalbacchanal Posts: 149
    get the san diego show from this yr.....best version i have ever heard!!
  • Options
    NHidingNHiding Posts: 1,899
    I've seen plenty of them, including the Not In Our Name concert with Nusrat Fatah Ali Kahn, but the San Diego one from this year tops them all, lyrical screw up and all. You cannot top the emotional impact of this version. Every time I hear it I'm taken directly back to that moment.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213