Online Tutorials

Anyone use any online guitar tutorial or lessons?   

I just signed up for Tim Pierce’s masterclass.  Seems like it would be fun.  I think you need to know more theory before getting into it though but haven’t started yet.  

I need to get a basic understanding of theory though if I am going to get better than I am today.

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,139
    Keep us posted! I have always wanted to dig into theory and bought a book in college but sold it back with my textbooks that semester! Ha! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    Keep us posted! I have always wanted to dig into theory and bought a book in college but sold it back with my textbooks that semester! Ha! 
    I really need to follow through. I have plenty of books and videos.  Like with everything you need to put the work in to be really great at something.

Tim Pierce is such a positive dude. Hoping 5% of his talents rubs off on me with these tutorials.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Coursera is a collection of esteemed universities throughout the world that offer online courses in just about anything, including musical theory.  Most courses are free, but charge a fee if you want to get things graded and a completion certificate.  Some courses are for credits.

I took "Getting Started with Musical Theory" which was a 4 week course thru Michigan State.  Opted to pay $49 to take the quizzes and it was worth it ... made me focus on note taking during the video lectures ... also helped make sure I didn't just quit halfway thru which I may have if I didn't have anything invested.  The course covered:

* Tonality and harmonic function
    * Basics of notations
    * Musical notation
    * Diatonic Sets
    * Key signatures
    * Scales and intervals
    * Rhythm and Meter
    * Triads
    * Chords and Quality
    * Chord symbols

There was a LOT of information to digest, but it was very worthwhile.  I'm going to take another course soon after my brain has a chance to cool down ... this is how I felt while taking quizzes after decades away from college ...

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    Thanks for mentioning this!  I am definitely going to check this out.   
    This is a good video that has links to multiple resources ... it focuses on electronic music genre in the first part (which you can skip) but it has some good links for music theory at the 12:30 minute mark. 

I'm going to try Building Blocks 2 by Audible Genius.  It is a browser-based learning tool for music theory but uses a piano roll that you see in a DAW.    I'll let you know if it helps.

This is a good 30 minute video on music theory.  I've been repeatedly listening to it on walks and learning by osmosis ... it does work.