Options

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of AMERICAN BANDS - (NORTH) ROUND 3

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
Ok, with the new 'WEAKEST LINK' I will be staying with music and bands. However this time we will debate the greatest American Band.

Now since there are so many that limiting it to 10 would only cause chaos and confusion. I have decided to spread this 'Weakest Link' out into 4 different Polls. These polls will be identified tournament style as East, South, West, and North. I have tried to keep some cohesion with the band and geographic poll they are placed in, but couldn't do it for all. These polls WILL be occurring at the same time, so you will need to place votes in all 4 polls for each round. I did this so it wouldn't take so long to complete.

Each of the 4 polls will be narrowed down to the final 2, then I will take the 2 from each poll and make a Championship poll with 8 bands.

Alright, so here go. Lets determine the GREATEST AMERICAN BAND. NORTH REGION

You are going to pick the band that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) bands with the most votes. We will then move on to Round 4.

Soundgarden
Nirvana
Foo Fighters - Eliminated Round 2
Alice in Chains
Pixies - Eliminated Round 1
Cheap Trick - Eliminated Round 2
Heart
The Smashing Pumpkins
Stone Temple Pilots
Chicago - Eliminated Round 1

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of AMERICAN BANDS - (NORTH) ROUND 3 59 votes

Soundgarden
0%
Nirvana
1%
HesCalledDyer 1 vote
Alice in Chains
1%
DukeSpirit 1 vote
Heart
45%
pjhawksmcgruff102-feign-reluctanceGibsongoldrushcutzLukinFantbergspledgeagrievanceDewieCoxTim Simmonsstatic111DC29940RP112579RS151862Abe FromanGern Blansteneeriepadavejeff2040tempo_n_groove 27 votes
The Smashing Pumpkins
23%
Ledbetterman10mr bunglemfc2006Yefajwhjr17mickeyratComeToTXKearn5yAW124797May 30thed243421brewdog123Johnny Abruzzohihobibo 14 votes
Stone Temple Pilots
27%
PoncierSpiritual_ChaosmadtowndaveerebusGlowGirlDW139059dankindAsterisk on the StreetBLACK35eddiecbrianluxF Me In The BrainHobbesOffSheGoes351ThoughtKnownrossstothers 16 votes

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    Heart
    surprised the foo fighters got knocked out in round 2
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Heart
    Heart with a close Smashing pumpkins. 
  • Options
    Going to be interesting to see which 2 come out of this poll
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Heart
    I really like Heart, but slightly less than STP and Pumpkins. 
  • Options
    Stone Temple Pilots
    I don’t mind STP, have three of their albums.  Like the other bands more. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    Stone Temple Pilots
    I threw a dart on this one.  Not a fan of any of these bands.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Stone Temple Pilots
    brianlux said:
    You aren’t a fan of any of these bands? Odd
  • Options
    Stone Temple Pilots
    brianlux said:

No, not at all. 
    I was a fairly big fan of Nirvana's Nevermind.  It has a lot of strengths, especially the memorable melodies and infectious power pop sound.  But it doesn't hold up well for me.  The lyrics are uninspiring and after so many listening, the  overall sound seems fairly generic to me. I haven't listened to that record in years and I'm not a fan of the others.  This is not a put-down, just an honest personal take on the band.
    The other bands?  I've heard them all and never cared for any of them.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Stone Temple Pilots
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

No, not at all. 
    I was a fairly big fan of Nirvana's Nevermind.  It has a lot of strengths, especially the memorable melodies and infectious power pop sound.  But it doesn't hold up well for me.  The lyrics are uninspiring and after so many listening, the  overall sound seems fairly generic to me. I haven't listened to that record in years and I'm not a fan of the others.  This is not a put-down, just an honest personal take on the band.
    It is odd on this forum. In this polling you seem to be inconsistent in your criteria. On one it is accomplished musicians and on this one you simply don’t like any of them. I wouldn’t point this out except you seem to be critiquing others choices with regularity. 
  • Options
    Stone Temple Pilots
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

No, not at all. 
    It is odd on this forum. In this polling you seem to be inconsistent in your criteria. On one it is accomplished musicians and on this one you simply don’t like any of them. I wouldn’t point this out except you seem to be critiquing others choices with regularity. 

Please note, I did say that being an accomplished musician is but one criteria of several.  True, I did only mention not caring for the bands remaining on this list.  I know this crowd well enough to let it go at that.  Few here would want to hear what I think beyond that.  In other words, I don't come here with the intent to insult what others like, but rather to talk about what I personally like and appreciate.  You won't hear me say things like, "That band sucks."  And though I might find it odd that others don't like certain bands, I definitely will not criticize anyone for what they like.  No way.  If anything I said seems that way, I apologize.   That is never my intent.

• Options
    Stone Temple Pilots
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

No, not at all. 

Please note, I did say that being an accomplished musician is but one criteria of several.  True, I did only mention not caring for the bands remaining on this list.  I know this crowd well enough to let it go at that.  Few here would want to hear what I think beyond that.  In other words, I don't come here with the intent to insult what others like, but rather to talk about what I personally like and appreciate.  You won't hear me say things like, "That band sucks."  And though I might find it odd that others don't like certain bands, I definitely will not criticize anyone for what they like.  No way.  If anything I said seems that way, I apologize.   That is never my intent.

I don’t mean to come across any other way but inquisitively b! I also ask questions to ensure I understand individual’s line of thinking. There is no right or wrong answer in a poll like this. It is all in good fun! 
    I’ve just never, ever, heard anyone say Soundgarden was bland and generic. A lot of people like SG way more than I do, but they have some great albums. AIC is probably favourite on this list, and again, they don’t seem generic to me. 

But the beauty of it is, you are not wrong. Just because you like PJ (assuming because you are on their fan club forum lol) doesn’t mean you have to like every Seattle band, famous or otherwise 😎
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Heart
    Love every one of these bands. Only just like Heart. Going to be tough next round. Looks like Smashing Pumpkins may be on the way out. They are my favorite band that most folks I know dislike! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Stone Temple Pilots
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

No, not at all. 

I don’t mean to come across any other way but inquisitively b! I also ask questions to ensure I understand individual’s line of thinking. There is no right or wrong answer in a poll like this. It is all in good fun! 
    I’ve just never, ever, heard anyone say Soundgarden was bland and generic. A lot of people like SG way more than I do, but they have some great albums. AIC is probably favourite on this list, and again, they don’t seem generic to me. 

But the beauty of it is, you are not wrong. Just because you like PJ (assuming because you are on their fan club forum lol) doesn’t mean you have to like every Seattle band, famous or otherwise 😎

No problemo, 1T!
    I guess I kind of am the odd man out when it comes to Seattle bands.  I love Pearl Jam's middle period- Yeild, No Code, Riot Act, "Avocado".  For a long time I figured there HAD to be more in that scene that would thrill me and I gave several of these band a very serious go, but none ever made it for me.  Not a put down of course, it's just the way my ears and brain work.  But no lack of respect.  Like when Chris Cornell died, even though I never cared much for his bands, I always thought he was one very cool dude and his fans are all great, so when I got the news, I was in tears and not just for a minute- I mean like several times.  That was a heavy cultural blow to a lot of people I care a lot for. 

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    Heart
    Of those that are left, I feel like Nirvana has the most limited catalog, but there are 2 huge albums in there along with some legendary live performances (Reading & Unplugged) so they automatically stay ahead of most. IMHO, only STP and Soundgarden have anything worth listening to post 1999. It's also hard not to automatically give SG more credit because Cornell was so dominant no matter what he was doing. They're my #1 on this list.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    Heart
    Heart was an easy choice this time. The next rounds will be tougher.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Heart with 27 votes and Stone Temple Pilots with 16 votes have been eliminated in Round 3.
This discussion has been closed.