Seems I have started a boutique vinyl label.

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
edited November 2021 in Other Music
So with Pearl Jam not touring and me not caring about the new generation of videogames I have a small bit of money saved. And I know of some relatively well known Swedish artists who are stuck with albums never been released on vinyl (mid to late 90s and early 00s) and today do not have the funds or a label believing it to be worthwhile endeavour for a pressing.

So been thinking for a while as a "project" to persuade one of these artists to have me go in with the finances for a small print run. With me not really taking any profits, but hopefully being able top recoup my investment (financial, not for the time invested). But also be ready to loose the money and be stuck with boxes of unsold vinyl... 

I would invest enough for the pressing (high quality in a Jurrasic Park "we spared no expense"-way), a vinyl master of the album (that the artist will oversee and be responsible for) and will take responsibility for the distribution. 

Sweden is a small country and there aren't that many different places people buy vinyl from (with Amazon and such I would imagine it being the same in other countries too) so I'm thinking the distribution part wouldn't be that difficult to straighten out. I mean, people do not "stumble upon an album" in a store and pick it up by chance anymore, people who would want to buy an 180 gram audiophile album actively look for it. I have some ideas on how to try to benefit independent record stores and such over the Amazon-esque places. Also thinking a bit about doing it like Pearl Jam and some artists going through kickstarter - printsize depending on amount of preorders.

Anyone in here have a label, or have pressed vinyl or just have some tips and pointers and stuff to think about etc?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• So with Pearl Jam not touring and me not caring about the new generation of videogames I have a small bit of money saved. And I know of some relatively well known Swedish artists who are stuck with albums never been released on vinyl (mid to late 90s and early 00s) and today do not have the funds or a label believing it to be worthwhile endeavour for a pressing.

So been thinking for a while as a "project" to persuade one of these artists to have me go in with the finances for a small print run. With me not really taking any profits, but hopefully being able top recoup my investment (financial, not for the time invested). But also be ready to loose the money and be stuck with boxes of unsold vinyl... 

I would invest enough for the pressing (high quality in a Jurrasic Park "we spared no expense"-way), a vinyl master of the album (that the artist will oversee and be responsible for) and will take responsibility for the distribution. 

Sweden is a small country and there aren't that many different places people buy vinyl from (with Amazon and such I would imagine it being the same in other countries too) so I'm thinking the distribution part wouldn't be that difficult to straighten out. I mean, people do not "stumble upon an album" in a store and pick it up by chance anymore, people who would want to buy an 180 gram audiophile album actively look for it. I have some ideas on how to try to benefit independent record stores and such over the Amazon-esque places. Also thinking a bit about doing it like Pearl Jam and some artists going through kickstarter - printsize depending on amount of preorders.

Anyone in here have a label, or have pressed vinyl or just have some tips and pointers and stuff to think about etc?
    I have seen this done through Kickstarter with a few bands.  One of the recent ones was King Gizzard.  Maybe look up that website and see if you could do it through there or there is a huge pressing plant in Czech republic you could look up too.

The thing I would be worried about is the handling of any master tapes.  Lose those and it's donesville.

Good luck in this.
  • So with Pearl Jam not touring and me not caring about the new generation of videogames I have a small bit of money saved. And I know of some relatively well known Swedish artists who are stuck with albums never been released on vinyl (mid to late 90s and early 00s) and today do not have the funds or a label believing it to be worthwhile endeavour for a pressing.

I have seen this done through Kickstarter with a few bands.  One of the recent ones was King Gizzard.  Maybe look up that website and see if you could do it through there or there is a huge pressing plant in Czech republic you could look up too.

The thing I would be worried about is the handling of any master tapes.  Lose those and it's donesville.

Good luck in this.
    I would print it in Sweden. In part because it is easier, and the people I have talked to hear that does press albums say since our Krona is so weak now it is not really worth it economically to print in Europe instead of here. There is a pressing plant (I think the only one here) close by me, so could pick it all up by car instead of getting it all shipped. It is quite expensive though - every extra thing heavier vinyl, a sticker, a thicker paper stock for the cover etc adds up.

My idea was to not handle the master tapes. Have the artist(s) take responsibility for getting a proper vinyl master done they are happy with.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited May 2021
    Made a "handshake" type of deal for a release... time to dig into how to make this a reality... and start a business I guess...

Might be a one-off type of thing though. Something new to put into a Tinder profile or have something to bring up at parties "Do you know, that I one summer ran a vinyl label and released one record?"
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,602
    Inspiring and cool. Good luck!
  • Working on the cover art and trying to get a handle on all details for my first, and I would imagine only, vinyl release on my label.  
  • Good luck with this and please keep us updated with how you get on.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    when do  pre orders start?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111 said:
    when do  pre orders start?
    Looking into shipping costs/alternatives right now. Need to have all the info-ducks in a row before going live.
  • Artwork sent to artist for approval.