Options

Home appliances

Moved in to the house 11 years ago, and had all brand new kitchen appliances. Very nice stainless steel. About 2 years ago the fridge was the 1st to go. I tell the wife, "lets just get a package deal, and get all new" . She replies, "fuck that, the stove and dishwasher are fine". Well, about 6 months later the microwave hanging over the stove went dead, 2 months after that it was the stove that died, 3 months ago it was the washer and dryer, and 2 weeks ago it was the dishwasher. 
Um, yeah, I have spent a little bit of money on appliances the last 2 years. FUCK! 

But the new washer/dryer combo unit amazes me. Its just one unit (not a stack unit). Its one unit that both washes and dries. So you put the clothes in and 2.5 hours later you go downstairs and they are dried. Technology is pretty cool! Plus its a steamed dry, not gas or 220v electric. The dryer runs off a110v. 

Next week the new dishwasher arrives and I am hoping not to have to buy any kitchen appliances until I am 65 years old! 

As you can see, I am bored this morning, and feel like talking. Hahahaha

Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Comments

• Options
    Moved into my house in 2005. The one and only thing that remains is our central a/c…..and I’m worried about every time it turns on. We have replaced…washer/dryer, water heater, furnace, stove, dishwasher, refrigerator, various bathroom exhaust fans….and a sump pump.  Home ownership may be overrated.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Just stay away from Samsung appliances.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I won't share what we've spent on appliances that broke in the last 5 years or so.
    Because of the way the kitchen and laundry areas are we had very little choice as far as options and had to stay with the crazy types of shit the previous owner paid for.
    I'll just say that the total is vulgar and upsetting.
    My brother and sister both yelled (not hyperbole) at me when they learned how much the fridge was.  :lol:.    When the microwave broke I didn't want to fix it.  My wife insisted and I wanted to buy a $200 microwave and put it inside of our broken microwave.  :lol:.   No gom

Washer
    Dryer
    Oven
    Microwave
    Fridge

We waited about a year for the fridge, given how specific the thing was and Covid messing with the supply chain 

I'm guessing none of the replacements last ten years.
    F appliances 
    The stovetop and ventilation system, as well as the dishwasher, have some issues.
    :(

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    4 years ago we bought what is now a 95 yr old house.
    We have literally redone everything from the roof to the basement and beyond.
    We didn't do it all at once but all of the appliances have been replaced. Including bringing in a "european" style fridge, that cost thousands of dollars, in order to better utilize our very small kitchen footprint. This fridge is still too small so we have a 2nd in the basement. We are 2 avg. sized people with avg size appetites. UGH
  • Options
    Funny a couple of you mention size and space limitations. When we bought our house the previous owner had done some nice renovations right before selling. New walls, doors, trim, beautiful bathroom with lovely tile etc. etc. He also built a new stairway leading from kitchen(back door) to basement. Five stairs to ground level, make a turn, four stairs to basement. 

Well, its very nice and all, but he only left 24in. between new staircase and wall. Meaning I cant get a FULL SIZE gas dryer in my basement! I searched and searched and its just not happening. I delivered and installed appliances in a previous life, and I knew we were in trouble. We can get a compact dryer that is made for a small apartment of rv. But that wasn't happening. I could bust out the wall, but that wasn't happening. So 11 years ago we settled on a stack unit. I wasn't to happy about being a home owner and having to settle for a stack unit. but since we do not have children, and it was just the 2 of us, it really wasn't a problem. We just got used to smaller loads of laundry. But when that stack unit killed itself I wanted something different. 

And different is exactly what I got. When I first told people I have a unit that both washes and dries, without having to move clothes to a separate unit, some folks told me they didn't realize such a thing even existed. It works well, the only issue is with towels and heavier loads such as jeans you have to add a little dry time, but other than that it works just fine. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    I won't share what we've spent on appliances that broke in the last 5 years or so.
    Because of the way the kitchen and laundry areas are we had very little choice as far as options and had to stay with the crazy types of shit the previous owner paid for.
    My brother and sister both yelled (not hyperbole) at me when they learned how much the fridge was.  :lol:.    When the microwave broke I didn't want to fix it.  My wife insisted and I wanted to buy a $200 microwave and put it inside of our broken microwave.  :lol:.   No gom

Washer
    Dryer
    Oven
    Microwave
    Fridge

We waited about a year for the fridge, given how specific the thing was and Covid messing with the supply chain 

F appliances 
    The stovetop and ventilation system, as well as the dishwasher, have some issues.

no problem for a one percenter.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,767
    Wobbie said:

Washer
    Dryer
    Oven
    Microwave
    Fridge

F appliances 

#truth
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Funny a couple of you mention size and space limitations. When we bought our house the previous owner had done some nice renovations right before selling. New walls, doors, trim, beautiful bathroom with lovely tile etc. etc. He also built a new stairway leading from kitchen(back door) to basement. Five stairs to ground level, make a turn, four stairs to basement. 

Well, its very nice and all, but he only left 24in. between new staircase and wall. Meaning I cant get a FULL SIZE gas dryer in my basement! I searched and searched and its just not happening. I delivered and installed appliances in a previous life, and I knew we were in trouble. We can get a compact dryer that is made for a small apartment of rv. But that wasn't happening. I could bust out the wall, but that wasn't happening. So 11 years ago we settled on a stack unit. I wasn't to happy about being a home owner and having to settle for a stack unit. but since we do not have children, and it was just the 2 of us, it really wasn't a problem. We just got used to smaller loads of laundry. But when that stack unit killed itself I wanted something different. 

And different is exactly what I got. When I first told people I have a unit that both washes and dries, without having to move clothes to a separate unit, some folks told me they didn't realize such a thing even existed. It works well, the only issue is with towels and heavier loads such as jeans you have to add a little dry time, but other than that it works just fine. 
    That is pretty cool that the one unit does both!
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Washer
    Dryer
    Oven
    Microwave
    Fridge

F appliances 

#truth
    That would be nice if it were true!  ;)

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    edited November 2021
    A couple months ago I spent $600 repairing a dryer that isn’t fancy and is about $450 new. Sounds dumb, right? Well, the door to the laundry room is 20” wide. I’ve never seen a dryer 20” wide. I have to knock down the wall into the water heater room, drag it out there and bring a new one in, and put the wall back up.
    it’s worth the extra $150 to just repair it.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Our dishwasher died a few months ago.  Wanna see what we have for a replacement?  Hear ya go:
    brianlux

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    So you’re a woman now :lol:
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Appliances nowadays are built to only last maybe 10 years. Planned obsolescence.
    When we bought our house (16 yrs ago), they had an old Maytag washer...had to have been at least 20 years old at the time...sucker is still going strong. Newer appliances we bought have had issues and needed repair or replacement.
    They don't make 'em like they used to....now get off my lawn.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yeah, our appliance guy basically told us to never get rid of our washer, dryer, or dishwasher. He said they'll run forever with proper use, care, and maintenance and that anything we buy on the current market will not perform as well.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Poncier said:
    Appliances nowadays are built to only last maybe 10 years. Planned obsolescence.
    When we bought our house (16 yrs ago), they had an old Maytag washer...had to have been at least 20 years old at the time...sucker is still going strong. Newer appliances we bought have had issues and needed repair or replacement.
    They don't make 'em like they used to....now get off my lawn.
    When we bought our house 4+ years ago the HVAC was then 35 yrs old. We re-did the master suite and added an additional HVAC. We replaced the old one last year and our cooling/heating costs have gone down.
    Hopefully the new ones will outlive us.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,296
    Long story short, don't listen to your wife. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    My childhood home, all Maytag via Sears. Those were probably the last of the built-to -lasts.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,296
    edited November 2021
    I think this goes for about everything these days....cars, tv's, lawn mowers, etc. Nothing is built to last anymore. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    Been at my house for 5+ years now.  Pretty sure I had all the appliance replaced in the first 1-2 months.  
    Washer and drier first, then the oven, fridge, stovetop then the dishwasher.

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Speedqueen makes a good top load washer.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Malroth said:
    Speedqueen  
    That's a girl I went to high school with.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Malroth said:
    Speedqueen  
    And one I found myself banging around with a handful of times per year throughout college.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,767
    hedonist said:
    So you’re a woman now :lol:
    Made me lol. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Poncier said:
    Malroth said:
    Speedqueen  
    And one I found myself banging around with a handful of times per year throughout college.

Poncier said:
    Malroth said:
    Speedqueen  

A top load?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    I think this goes for about everything these days....cars, tv's, lawn mowers, etc. Nothing is built to last anymore. 
    No they're not ... I need a new kettle, fridge/freezer and dishwasher. I might wait until black Friday! 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    maybe 20(?) years ago, we were convinced our kenmore fridge had bit the bullet….repair guy says “compressor is shot, can’t get one and wouldn’t be worth it if I could”…we rush out and buy a new fridge. the old “broken” one goes out to our hot ass Vegas garage. we plug it in and it gets cold again…20 years later, it’s still kicking as the beer fridge.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The old bastards could run forever
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,545
    ^That's what she said.

But seriously though folks, don't kick your machines, it's a pricey mistake!
  • Options
    tish said:
    ^That's what she said.

But seriously though folks, don't kick your machines, it's a pricey mistake!
    Yeah, not good for the environment. I'll try to use and fix what I have rather than getting replacements.  
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Had to get a new hot water heater over the weekend.  That was a fun, unexpected expense!  I miss living in an apartment.