The most "ahead of it's time" albums you know of.

123457»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Can we say GG Alin and the Murder Junkies for Scat Rock or WTF music?  I think they were so groundbreaking that no one has tried to reproduce it or follow in the bands footsteps since!

Whoa!  G G Allin.  Yeah, that dude definitely raised the bar and self abuse and audience abuse.  How it is he didn't spend more time behind bars is head scratching.  And if you really want to get a taste of how sick and effed up this dude and his crowd were, you can go on line and do a search and find his funeral which was filmed.  I for one wish I hadn't done that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:
    Can we say GG Alin and the Murder Junkies for Scat Rock or WTF music?  I think they were so groundbreaking that no one has tried to reproduce it or follow in the bands footsteps since!

Whoa!  G G Allin.  Yeah, that dude definitely raised the bar and self abuse and audience abuse.  How it is he didn't spend more time behind bars is head scratching.  And if you really want to get a taste of how sick and effed up this dude and his crowd were, you can go on line and do a search and find his funeral which was filmed.  I for one wish I hadn't done that.
    Watch his Doc too.  There are two.  The funeral and an actual Doc.
    brianlux said:

Watch his Doc too.  There are two.  The funeral and an actual Doc.

Thanks but, ahhh....  NO!  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    edited November 2021
    Sepultura - Roots (1996)

The Daily News praised the album saying: Sepultura reinvented the wheel. By mixing metal with native instruments, the band resuscitates the tired genre, reminding of Led Zeppelin times. But while Zeppelin mixed English metal with African beats, it's still more moving to hear a band that uses elements of its own country. By extracting the sounds of the past, Sepultura determines the future direction of metal.

Specialized heavy metal critics also reviewed the album positively. Martin Popoff, author of the book The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal, ranked Roots as the 11th best metal record of all time. This is a spectacular metal and futurist hardcore LP, wrote Popoff, a masterpiece, accomplished by a band with an enormous heart and an even larger intellect. Kerrang! magazine awarded Roots second place in the list of '100 records that you have to hear before dying'. Rolling Stone contributor Jon Wiederhorn gave the album three stars out of five and said, Sepultura play a violent game of sonic overload... the band uses its catharsis as a creative force, funneling torrents of noise into a tunnel of hate and called the album a refreshing step forward in a genre full of bands that are creatively bankrupt. Looking back on the album 20 years later, PopMatters contributor Saby Reyes-Kulkarni described Roots as inarguably one of the most radical [stylistic] departures from convention in heavy metal history, an album that blew the doors open on our perceptions of metal and so-called 'world music', adding that we haven't heard anything quite like it since.

Since the release of Roots, there have been cases where other metal bands who are not of Western (i.e. European or American) origin have combined metal with music from their own native regions, though none of those bands have reached the same level of visibility or commercial success that Sepultura achieved with Roots.

As for the Xavantes, both their leader at the time of the band's visit (Cipassé) and Pappiani agree that Roots helped the tribe gain some visibility, to the point that people would actually identify them as Xavantes instead of just calling them 'indigenous people'. Pappiani noticed an increase in people's interest for information on the tribe and their music.

On March 25, 2021, French heavy metal band Gojira released the single Amazonia, a song about anti-deforestation of the Amazon and the protection of Brazilian indigenous peoples' rights. Shortly after its release on April 15, frontman Joe Duplantier in an interview with Blabbermouth.net was asked his thoughts about comparing Amazonia to Sepultura, to which he said: I go, 'Yup'. And it's a compliment, and there is no shame here. And we ripped them off, but we didn't do it on purpose. But we realized it right after. We were, like, 'Oh, that sounds like Sepultura. Ahhh, whatever'. It's a tribute to Sepultura — how about that? It's about Brazil. It's about the Amazon. It's tribal.

Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,342

• I will always love this version over the original...
    https://youtu.be/lARll8NrTpk
  • This thread needed to be shut down after someone compared Radiohead to Our Lady Peace. 
  • This thread needed to be shut down after someone compared Radiohead to Our Lady Peace. 
    Where was that?  I seem to have missed it, lol.
    Outrage culture.  :lol: 

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited November 2021
    This thread needed to be shut down after someone compared Radiohead to Our Lady Peace. 
    To be perfectly clear,  they reminded ME of a certain era of OLP when I heard a song off the Bends album. The context of my statement was that because I had not delved into the catalogue (as I should have) and the amount of OLP Canadians were subjected to (CANCON laws) in traditional media, which was still prevalent in the 90s, on a casual listen the resemblance existed. Therefore I would compare bands to OLP, not the other way around. 

With hindsight being 20/20 as it is, and having delved into five Radiohead albums (which I own), I can safely say that Radiohead and OLP are not comparable. As stated earlier, I do not like OLP outside of the first album Naveed, and really only side A. 

I’m a casual Radiohead listener, even after hearing all the perceived genius of these albums. Not every band is for everyone. 🤷‍♂️

To be perfectly clear,  they reminded ME of a certain era of OLP when I heard a song off the Bends album. The context of my statement was that because I had not delved into the catalogue (as I should have) and the amount of OLP Canadians were subjected to (CANCON laws) in traditional media, which was still prevalent in the 90s, on a casual listen the resemblance existed. Therefore I would compare bands to OLP, not the other way around. 

With hindsight being 20/20 as it is, and having delved into five Radiohead albums (which I own), I can safely say that Radiohead and OLP are not comparable. As stated earlier, I do not like OLP outside of the first album Naveed, and really only side A. 

I’m a casual Radiohead listener, even after hearing all the perceived genius of these albums. Not every band is for everyone. 🤷‍♂️

"I'll be waving my hand..."