Options

After Dublin gig

BlackieBlackie Posts: 30
edited August 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Hey

coming down from Norn Iron for the concert and haven't done the rock thing in Dublin for years, anyone know anywhere decent to go out afterwards?

Is Bruxelles any good?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    dunno chief

we will probably retire to the hotel bar where we're staying

[jurys inn :D ]

though i saw somewhere else on here that theres a pub just up a bit on the quays having a pearl jam night

i know theres a crowd meeting in the temple bar (pub in temple bar) before the gig...

cheers
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Blackie wrote:
    Hey

coming down from Norn Iron for the concert and haven't done the rock thing in Dublin for years, anyone know anywhere decent to go out afterwards?

Is Bruxelles any good?
    Bruxelles is decent enough, and the metal bar has recently been done up too.
    Of course if you hit up Temple Bar you can't go wrong.
    Pravda is a good spot. It's right beside the Ha'penny Bridge on the North side. That has become one of my favourites recently.
    Crawdaddy is good, but a little bit out of the way. Same goes for the Isaac Butt.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    Oooh this is all very interesting!
    Was wondering where we should all head to before and after the gig myself.
    We're actually staying out in one of the airport hotels cos we're flying to london for the reading gig on the sunday the following day :P but rather than sit in a residents bar I'd prefer a bit of an atmosphere - dya not think so Belfast1?

So whats the general recommendation so?
    I think if we all knew where to go - there'd be some buzz before and after never mind at the concert :D

Whats this about a pearl jam night somewhere up the quays? Theres a few bleedin quays in dublin like!

We should have a huge meet up ! I must get me PJ teeshirt organised :D ha ha !!
    "Underneath this smile lies everything
    All my hopes and anger, pride and shame
    Make myself a pact not to shut doors on the past
    Just for today I am free"

Dublin 23/08/2006 ~~~Reading 27/08/2006

Wembley June '07 !!
  • Options
    Cheers guys.

Stayin in temple bar, though if I end up going out there I will cry, will be total waste if a night! Not 15 anymore!!!

Apparently there is a pj night on in the White Horse Inn? Never heard of it myself
  • Options
    nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    ok why is the temple bar pre gig gonna happen??? its fricken expensive
    in there!!!!!
    the foggy dew is a class rock orientated pubs.....however the gig is on
    a wed nite so perhaps whelans on wexford street is the option!! its a
    small place but feckin class let me tell ya....and it'll be student nite for
    all those single people lookin for drunken irish girls.....or boys...!!!

however i do have tix for radiohead/beck the next day so i cant get that
    fucked up!!!!

BUT I STILL NEED TO GET A TICKET FIRST!!!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    The price of drink is expensive in Dublin, no matter where the hell ye go. The price of a pint ranges from about €4.50 to €6 in some places. Whether in Temple Bar or anywhere else, it will cost a few squid! Also, Jury's Inn beside the Point on the Quays, are very strict about who gets in after a concert... no room key- no entrance!

Rock-ish places in Dublin...

-> Whelans/ The Village on Wexford St.- very out of the way for afters... bear in mind closing time is 11.30, and its a helluva walk there

-> Eamonn Dorans in Temple Bar- A bit more central for everyone, but it can be quite dead in there sometimes, if there is a good crowd, it'll be a great atmosphere

-> Foggy Dew in Temple Bar- Great for a few pints and some sitting and listening

-> Bruxelles, beside Phil Lynott on Grafton St. - Different levels. Ground level is grand for a pint, then below that is the 'indie' bar, if you will. Should be a good place to chill after rockin' out! The basement is a metal bar, which has recently been renovated. Haven't been there since, but it can be a little dead in there sometimes, the locals keep to themselves

-> The Flowing Tide, Abbey St- Upstairs is your bog-standard pub, but downstairs there is a jukebox and a general rockin' vibe.

-> Fibber Magees, Parnell St.- Smells a bit funky, but a great place to go get fuckin' wasted and sing till your hearts content.

The choice is yours!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    yes but if u get into the pub part of whelans before its too late u get
    into the indie/rock club after it for free!!!!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • Options
    I dunno, I hear Whelans and think of feckin' Republic of Loose and shite like that! Fuck it, I think there's a few parties happening after anyway!
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    I dunno, I hear Whelans and think of feckin' Republic of Loose and shite like that! Fuck it, I think there's a few parties happening after anyway!

AH A PARTY.......OR 2....!!!!!!

REP OF LOOSE ARNT THAT BAD.....GREAT LIVE....NO SO GUD N RECORD!!!

WHERE BOUTS U FROM...IF NAY DUBLIN??!!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • Options
    Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay so we're no closer to finding out anything then.

Wembley June '07 !!
  • Options
    Cheers Jennytree, you've sold Bruxelles to me!
  • Options
    I think thats where we're gonna end up heading to as well.
    Was out last night. got the dj to play PJ (he played Jeremy (after SOAD hellooooooo - even though I was like play animal it'll fit a LITTLE bit better than jeremy but anyway i wasnt complaining!) and I went nuts :D so excited. Only two weeks or thereabouts to go!!!

Wembley June '07 !!
  • Options
    If any of ye are interested, gimme a shout...

Pearl Jam tribute band (Pearl Jem) in Dublin:

Eamonn Dorans August 17th 2006

Voodoo Lounge August 31st 2006

http://www.pearljem.com/
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    If any of ye are interested, gimme a shout...

Pearl Jam tribute band (Pearl Jem) in Dublin:

Eamonn Dorans August 17th 2006

Voodoo Lounge August 31st 2006

http://www.pearljem.com/
    Ah Shite, I'll be in the middle of exams.
  • Options

ah, exams schexams!
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

wow.... you have exams at night ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    ah, exams schexams!
    Ah feck off :D
    The real Pearl Jam gig is also in the middle of my exams, but nothings gonna stop me going to that, and then I'll be seeing them in Croatia too so it doesn't bother me too much that I'm missing the tribute.
    Stil lI'd like to meet with yez at some point, so I'm missing out there I guess.
  • Options
    Ah feck off :D
    The real Pearl Jam gig is also in the middle of my exams, but nothings gonna stop me going to that, and then I'll be seeing them in Croatia too so it doesn't bother me too much that I'm missing the tribute.
    Stil lI'd like to meet with yez at some point, so I'm missing out there I guess.

By the looks of it I'll be the only one there... and I'm not all that exciting! :D A tribute just before the gig is a great way to get even more excited aboot it though!
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    By the looks of it I'll be the only one there... and I'm not all that exciting! :D A tribute just before the gig is a great way to get even more excited aboot it though!
    True, not so good the other way around though. Last summer I saw Weezer at Vicar St. Because it was such a small gig a tribute band played in Dorans afterwards for all the people who didn't get tickets. God knows why but I went along after seeing the real thing.
    Oh what a fool I was :D But at least it wasn't Fibbers.
  • Options
    Oh what a fool I was :D But at least it wasn't Fibbers.

haha... can't wait till Thurs!
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    haha... can't wait till Thurs!
    But it's €5 in now :( How do they expect to get away with that, smelling like it does.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Jennytree wrote:
    I dunno... for some reason next Thursday just seems really really far away and I haven't got a clue if I'm doing anything or not. More than likely not, so I might head in if you're going Jenny?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    I dunno... for some reason next Thursday just seems really really far away and I haven't got a clue if I'm doing anything or not. More than likely not, so I might head in if you're going Jenny?

Well, Helen it just may be a date so!!!
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    birdoorbirdoor Posts: 54
    hey-never been to ireland, and just booked a flight-longtime 10c girl from nyc, have no ticket, no place to stay and no idea where to go-it all works out in the end-but if any of the irish can give me a head's up on any of the above, it'd be really appreciated-then going to kick around the coast til sunday...anyone need an extra in a room? got an extra 10c tkt? know if i should rent a car or take busses?
    i'll return the favor when you hit nyc..
    thanks so much..
  • Options
    That's a hell of a lot of information for one sentence. ;)
  • Options
    i know! i'm just so excited. just saw a bunch of east /west coast us shows and literally couldn't help myself..and have been talking about going to ireland for a couple years--this now is the best of both worlds..
    any idea how to accomplish any of the above?
    and thanks.
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    Well, Helen it just may be a date so!!!

*blushes* :o better get something to wear then so :p

Lol, I'd say I will - my head's up my fucking arse these days :confused: . Met a friend last night and just kept going completely blank :eek: . I'm a bit young for alzheimers I think :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    skelbrd wrote:
    hey-never been to ireland, and just booked a flight-longtime 10c girl from nyc, have no ticket, no place to stay and no idea where to go-it all works out in the end-but if any of the irish can give me a head's up on any of the above, it'd be really appreciated-then going to kick around the coast til sunday...anyone need an extra in a room? got an extra 10c tkt? know if i should rent a car or take busses?
    i'll return the favor when you hit nyc..
    thanks so much..
    If renting a car is a possibility against getting buses - I'd go with the car, especially outside of Dublin. The bus will get you to Shannon for example, but then you're stuck in shannon - public transport in the country is pretty shite apart from between each big town but ya want to see a bit of the country too so definitely car :cool:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Thanks Helen for the heads up. I appreciate your time-I know you're busy-. Will you be knowing in the next couple days which pub you'll be at pre-show? I'm leaving to travel in two or three days and will most likely be sans computer to check in..
    take it easy..
  • Options
    skelbrd wrote:
    Thanks Helen for the heads up. I appreciate your time-I know you're busy-. Will you be knowing in the next couple days which pub you'll be at pre-show? I'm leaving to travel in two or three days and will most likely be sans computer to check in..
    take it easy..
    The first post on the 'Dublin schedules' thread has where we're meeting beforehand. It's also got details of when everyone's arriving, from where, where they're staying, when they're leaving, some of what they're doing when they're here and stuff like that. I'll bump it for ya if it's not on the first page... add your details to it and I'll update the first post again :)

No problem
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life