Shannon Hoon -- A Danny Clinch Documentary ! ! ! FUCK YES ! ! ! (Blind Melon)

124»

Comments

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    edited June 2020
    Post edited by darthvedder on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    i'm still confused how i can watch this. can i watch it at home?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mvwmvw Posts: 1,642
    Yes. I spoke with the venue in IL and they said they will have a link up on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram by the weekend to purchase and stream at home.
    mvw said:
    Yes. I spoke with the venue in IL and they said they will have a link up on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram by the weekend to purchase and stream at home.
    awesome. thanks!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    https://allicansay.vhx.tv/checkout/all-i-can-say-watch-early-with-virtual-cinema/purchase?c=EML_LN_LN2056727&camefrom=EMLN_LN2056727&et_rid=17948348&utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=lnemail&utm_term=EML_LN_LN2056727

Watch today via Virtual Cinema and in select movie theaters (yes, in the real world!) starting this Friday, June 26th. Visit allicansay.oscilloscope.net for theaters and more info.
    3 Day rental for $12.
    hihobibo said:
    https://allicansay.vhx.tv/checkout/all-i-can-say-watch-early-with-virtual-cinema/purchase?c=EML_LN_LN2056727&camefrom=EMLN_LN2056727&et_rid=17948348&utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=lnemail&utm_term=EML_LN_LN2056727

Watch today via Virtual Cinema and in select movie theaters (yes, in the real world!) starting this Friday, June 26th. Visit allicansay.oscilloscope.net for theaters and more info.
    3 Day rental for $12.
    i still don't get this. why do they have all these "virtual theatres" in different cities with specific locations named if it's just streaming? to me it looks like I have to go somewhere to watch it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    hihobibo said:

3 Day rental for $12.
    i still don't get this. why do they have all these "virtual theatres" in different cities with specific locations named if it's just streaming? to me it looks like I have to go somewhere to watch it. 

I think it's to help support a local venue if you have one near you.
    They are calling it a “Virtual Cinema”.  I think these theaters in each city get part of revenue from streaming it from then.  That’s why each city has a separate link. There are 4 or 5 cinemas where they are showing it at the actual theater and allowing an audience.
    I was wondering if that was the case, but then thought "why is the production giving up all the revenues if this cost so damn much to make?". but sounds good. can't wait to watch this. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I watched it tonight.  It was
    great...heartbreaking, but great.  Danny Clinch really did a nice job with this.  I miss Shannon. I miss Blind Melon.  They are not the same without him.
    There were a couple PJ references and a touching Mike McCready appearance.  Also loved the song Shannon was singing called “Fade Away”.  I’d love to hear more of that if it exists.

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Can you stream this from any smart TV using the link above?  Do you need to have a certain streaming service or app to get it?  I'm fine with paying $12 for the rental. 
  • bbiggs said:
    Can you stream this from any smart TV using the link above?  Do you need to have a certain streaming service or app to get it?  I'm fine with paying $12 for the rental. 
    Wondering the same thing. 
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    edited June 2020
    i watched it on my ps4 through the web browser, fwiw

anyway, it’s as heartbreaking as one might expect it to be. bless him, though, for giving us this movie. dude had a uniquely special soul about him.

there's a scene at the end where shannon and lisa are celebrating his 28th birthday, shannon at a table alone (lisa is filming) with a cake and candles on it, and lisa sings 'happy birthday', finishing with '...and many more'. shannon stares at the cake for a bit before half-heartedly blowing out the candles. less than a month later he's dead.

the last few months of his life he makes clear he is not in a good space and what is going on around him is not a good environment for him- he just wants to be home with nico and lisa and plant trees and be a dad. yet he pushes through, and it kills him.

i can't stop thinking about this:

I'm entering a frame bombarded by indecision
    Where a man like me can easily let the day get out of control
    Down this far in the quarter
    I'm pushed hard upon the border
    But, I'd rather be caught 'round now instead of oh, say, 'round the month of June
    But if I can leave with a little bit of explanation
    Then anywhere in the world I choose to go
    I'll have it made.

rip shannon. :/
    Post edited by AndySlash on
  • brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    do you all think Shannon called Mike back? if so, what do you think was said?

great video. if you watch this you must watch letters from a porcupine, they compliment each other very well
    i clearly need to watch this this weekend. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    i clearly need to watch this this weekend. 

Take your motion sickness pills! =)
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • RhinoJamRhinoJam Raleighwood Posts: 592
    All I can say was great, very well put together, so sad we did not get to hear more from Shannon... He seemed to know he wouldn't make it out of his 20s, so thankful for the music he left us... Letters from a porcupine is probably my favorite music doc ever!
    I'm still a big Melon head to this day and the band and sound has carried on well without Shannon, check out their new tunes if you're open to it, For My Friends is a great album and they've put a few new good tracks recently! 
    Charlotte 10/4/96 Raleigh 8/31/98 Charlotte 8/4/00 Raleigh 4/15/03 Asheville 10/6/04
    Bonnaroo 6/14/08 Spectrum 10/30/09 Spectrum 10/31/09 Atlanta 9/22/12 Wrigley 7/19/13
    Baltimore 10/27/13 Charlottesville 10/29/13 Charlotte 10/30/13 OKC 11/16/13
    St. Louis 10/03/14 Greenville 4/16/16 Hampton 4/18/16
    Columbia 4/21/16 Wrigley 8/18/18
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    demetrios said:
    Just going to post the same screenshot. Thanks, D!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Still can’t get myself to watch this despite my excitement over the years. I am not sure I can stomach watching Shannon’s demise play out over film. His death was hard for me, strange considering I have zero connection to him or his family other than loving Blind Melon intensely. I ruminated on it for a good long time as a 17 year old, visited his burial site, learned all the songs and sang them all the time. Weird I know. It’s kind of embarrassing to admit out in the open honestly, but I’m in good company here I think. I can’t relate to the addiction issues at all, I guess I probably held the guy in such high musical regard. His musicality (and the band’s) were played with such freedom, intensity & soul that I think what I connected with this most was that feeling of freedom from troubles I felt when I listened. I can still feel it, like every time I listen to “Time”, man, I can still see the band leaping around the stage at Woodstock 94’ playing their brains out and the roller coaster that song takes me through, whoooo. Man. In the end though, he was just a human and one who died from a disease that ultimately grabbed the steering wheel. I will see the film eventually and probably get to that last one on Kurt Cobain too, though I didn’t have as instense connection to Nirvana in their time (still LOVE their body of work though), Kurt’s death by suicide at 16 years old was confusing and hard to understand then. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    The pre-orders for the Blu-Ray and DVD are up now.
    The release date is November 24th 

https://store.oscilloscope.net/products/all-i-can-say?variant=31988225671266

Shannon Hoon, lead singer of the rock band Blind Melon, filmed himself religiously from 1990-1995 with a video camera, recording up until a few hours before his sudden death at the age of twenty-eight. His camera was a diary and his closest confidant. In the hundreds of hours of footage, Hoon meticulously documented his life—his family, his creative process, his television, his band’s rise to fame, and his struggle with addiction. He filmed his daughter’s birth, and archived the politics and culture of the 90s, an era right before the internet changed the world. Created solely with his own footage, voice, and music, this rare autobiography is a prescient exploration of experience and memory in the age of video. It is also Hoon’s last work, completed twenty-three years after his death.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

• Camera as Consciousness – Judd Apatow in conversation with filmmakers Danny Clinch, Taryn Gould, and Colleen Hennessy
    • A conversation with Nico Hoon, daughter of Shannon Hoon
    • Nico Hoon performs “In the End”, a song written by her band Garden Street
    • Theatrical Trailer

Region and Format Information:

The DVD is Region-0 and the Blu-ray is Region-free. Both discs are NTSC formatted. While these discs should play on most international players, you may experience playback errors on devices outside of North America. 

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    really wish the film makers would have been up front about all this from the outset. had i known it would get a physical release with extra features i wouldn't have bought it digitally. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    edited November 2020
    When will it be available from Amazon UK?
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    deadendp said:

Damn. It doesn’t feel like it’s been 26 years.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    goldrush said:
    deadendp said:

Damn. It doesn’t feel like it’s been 26 years.
    I know. I saw them play in 1994. I remember that show so well.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited October 2021
    I remember driving to the record store to buy Soup with a great friend of ours.   26 years later and my friend and Shannon have both been gone for a long time.  Weird.