Best North American '06 Boot!?!?!

ucsbledbetterucsbledbetter Posts: 173
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Ok, what is it!??!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Boston 2. Without a shadow of doubt.

Great setlist, energy, crowd, sound, length and puts the other boots to shame!
  • Options
    papalonpapalon Posts: 5
    i would have to say either san diego or gorge 1.

went to san diego and it was the most energy from the band and the crowd i've ever seen.

the first encore of gorge 1 says it all basically. throw wash in as the opener and that's a damn good show.
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Grand Rapids is good but really overrated. San Diego is amazing. Not heard any SF or Gorge yet but Diego rocks.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    I asked a few people during the SF pre-show parties the same question and the top two mentioned were San Diego and Boston 2. I was at all three SF shows and liked all three boots, but I'm biased. Mike's guitar solos were stronger during SF3 than the previous two nights (agreed upon by a couple other people I spoke with after the concert).
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    soozewsoozew Posts: 11
    mole1985 wrote:
    Grand Rapids is good but really overrated. San Diego is amazing. Not heard any SF or Gorge yet but Diego rocks.

i think the reason that everyone loves grand rapids is because of the band's energy and the response from the crowd. it was an unbelieveable night.
    Noblesville '00
    East Troy '00
    Chicago '00
    Champaign '03
    Chicago '03
    East Troy '03
    Noblesville '03
    Grand Rapids '06 (2nd row--CENTER! and a tambourine)
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    everyone would want to choose a show that they were at. for me chicago II was amazing.

but by looking at the setlist. Gorge II can not be beat.
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Boston 2. Without a shadow of doubt.

Great setlist, energy, crowd, sound, length and puts the other boots to shame!

Agreed. Awesome boot. Even though the setlist was not the best (still good) Boston I was also awesome. The crowd is INSANE.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    pjinlovepjinlove Posts: 17
    Ok, what is it!??!

For me its Boston 2, I know part of it is b/c I was there-but it really really rocked the house. RITFW at the end was INSANE, the crowd was nuts!

And I know a lot has been said about Leash, but it was just unbelievable when the dropped it on us, no intro, nothing.

I just downloaded SF 3 and haven't gotten to listen to that or San Diego.
    Va Beach, 2000; Jones Beach Night 3 2000; Saratoga Springs 2000; Albany 2003; Reading (VFC) 2004; Albany 2006; Boston 2 2006 (one of the best nights of my life); East Rutherford 2 2006
  • Options
    Until I hear some of the Left Coast shows....I'd pick either Cleveland or Pittsburgh after hearing almost all of the 06 boots thru Cincy.

I'm sure most won't agree but....
  • Options
    This show was DVD worthy. So many great moments...
    "A compliment for us, is a compliment for you."
    Vancouver '05, Denver I/II '06, Gorge I/II '06, MSG I/II '08, VH1 Rock Honors '08, Seattle I/II '09, Vancouver '11
    EV: Portland '11, Seattle Benaroya I/II '11
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    mole1985 wrote:

And the inevitable GR back-lash...Something as tremedous and popular as the GR boot is bound to have some detractors-that detract because detracting is the cool thing to do.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    And the inevitable GR back-lash...Something as tremedous and popular as the GR boot is bound to have some detractors-that detract because detracting is the cool thing to do.

There is a huge east coast bias on here, and to some degree a west coast. The midwest cannot have good, loud crowds. That's impossible. Why would I buy a boot because the crowd is loud? Guess what, Leash was played like 12 times this tour and I heard it 6 times. Boston II, I couldn't give a fuck that it was played there.
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Has anyone gotten Santa Barbara? It might be a good boot to buy with the acoustic set and all.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    everyone would want to choose a show that they were at. for me chicago II was amazing.

Chicago 2 is a great show, but just a friendly warning - beware the Whistling Dickhead.
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    Best 2006 boots (not in order):

Boston 2
    Chicago 1
    Grand Rapids
    San Diego
    Portland
    Gorge 1
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    There is a huge east coast bias on here, and to some degree a west coast. The midwest cannot have good, loud crowds. That's impossible. Why would I buy a boot because the crowd is loud? Guess what, Leash was played like 12 times this tour and I heard it 6 times. Boston II, I couldn't give a fuck that it was played there.

What the fuck are you talking about?? Chicago was Loud as hell both nights. I hope it is sarcasm!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    What the fuck are you talking about?? Chicago was Loud as hell both nights. I hope it is sarcasm!

It's sarcasm. Hence my comment about the east coast bias.
  • Options
    tombatomba Posts: 9
    nukeboot wrote:
    Chicago 2 is a great show, but just a friendly warning - beware the Whistling Dickhead.

LOL at the whistling dickhead !
    chicago night 2 is the best boot of the 12 that I have purchased so far.
  • Options
    InThinAirInThinAir Posts: 81
    Seriosuly SF II is amazing, the only date on the tour that got In My Tree. Granted I am biased because I was there but Eddie messing up Sometimes is classic. Then you got Army Reserve (with a nice speech about the troops) going into an amzing Insignifigcance, and I return to In My Tree incredible. The crowd was great, the band was on fire, it's just a great boot all around.
    the sun has set, the sun will rise another day....
  • Options
    SF 3 looks very good.

Hail Hail, MFC, Red Mosquito, Sad, Down, Present Tense, Why Go, Man Of The Hour, Last Exit, State Of Love And Trust, All Along The Watchtower, etc.

Any reviews of the boot?
  • Options
    Nakedeye66Nakedeye66 Posts: 94
    Until I hear some of the Left Coast shows....I'd pick either Cleveland or Pittsburgh after hearing almost all of the 06 boots thru Cincy. I'm sure most won't agree but....

Glad to see Cleveland get some love. Best shows of first leg were Cleveland, Camden 2, Detroit, and Albany. Grand Rapids is overrated. the first encore of Grand Rapids (all slow songs) very well may be the highlight of the leg, but the entire show does not live up to that segment, to the shows listed above, or to Chicago 1 ... the most underrated of the leg.

As for the second leg, the short pre-Petty shows slowed the band down a bit. They are all good, but not up to typical PJ full-show standards. the good news was that they came out of that stretch ON FIRE. Las Vegas, San Diego, Santa Barbara, SF3 are superb.

I'm still trying to get multiple listens on the recent shows, but here are my early rankings after hearing all shows except the last 2 (Gorge).

1. San Francisco 3
    2. Las Vegas
    3. Cleveland
    4. Camden 2
    5. Detroit
    6. San Diego
    7. Albany
    8. Chicago 1
    9. Grand Rapids
    10. Santa Barbara

Sometime before Europe starts I'll have commentary on every show to justify these choices.
  • Options
    Nakedeye66Nakedeye66 Posts: 94

GR is overrated, for many of the same reasons State College '03 is a bit overrated. Both shows get props for being so long, and having some unexpected setlist treats. Both of these absolutely are good reasons to highly rate a show. GR I believe is the longest of the tour and it is a VERY GOOD SHOW. I just don't agree it is among the very best. By pure setlist alone, I was drooling to buy this boot, and wonder if many of the people touting it are doing so based simply on the setlist and not listening.

The Grand Rapids FIRST ENCORE maybe IS the best part of the whole tour. But insofar as rating the entire show ... there are a handful of better ones.
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    Nakedeye66 wrote:
    Glad to see Cleveland get some love. Best shows of first leg were Cleveland, Camden 2, Detroit, and Albany. Grand Rapids is overrated. the first encore of Grand Rapids (all slow songs) very well may be the highlight of the leg, but the entire show does not live up to that segment, to the shows listed above, or to Chicago 1 ... the most underrated of the leg.

As for the second leg, the short pre-Petty shows slowed the band down a bit. They are all good, but not up to typical PJ full-show standards. the good news was that they came out of that stretch ON FIRE. Las Vegas, San Diego, Santa Barbara, SF3 are superb.

I'm still trying to get multiple listens on the recent shows, but here are my early rankings after hearing all shows except the last 2 (Gorge).

1. San Francisco 3
    2. Las Vegas
    3. Cleveland
    4. Camden 2
    5. Detroit
    6. San Diego
    7. Albany
    8. Chicago 1
    9. Grand Rapids
    10. Santa Barbara

Sometime before Europe starts I'll have commentary on every show to justify these choices.

thank you.

people like myself don't want to know about a person's best live experience and how that influences their opinions. i mean we *do*, just not in this context, the context of evaluating the boots to figure out which to buy when you only went to a few shows.

we'd rather know what the best performances were, the best set lists, the and best sound. Another thing that might be worth knowing but isn't rateable is vedder's banter. between 2 equal shows it might be the decision breaker.

we need a sort of a consumer reports type evaluation. shows can be evaluated on all three criteria. LOL

i really don't give a pooh about the crowd in the recordings oustide of how they affect the band's performance.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Nakedeye66 wrote:
    1. San Francisco 3
    2. Las Vegas
    3. Cleveland
    4. Camden 2
    5. Detroit
    6. San Diego
    7. Albany
    8. Chicago 1
    9. Grand Rapids
    10. Santa Barbara

I'll be interested to hear your commentary. I was at both Camden shows, D.C., and all three SF shows. Honestly, I would put all three SF shows above Camden 2. People looking for the best boots from this tour can't go wrong with any of the SF shows, not just night 3. Take a look at the fanviews. There are many people who thought night 2 was just as good if not better than 3.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    nukeboot wrote:

Sort of like Albany, with the yelling chick at every single quiet moment, or whenever Ed is talking?
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    boroff89 wrote:
    I'll be interested to hear your commentary. I was at both Camden shows, D.C., and all three SF shows. Honestly, I would put all three SF shows above Camden 2. People looking for the best boots from this tour can't go wrong with any of the SF shows, not just night 3. Take a look at the fanviews. There are many people who thought night 2 was just as good if not better than 3.

Fanviews relate to the experience of the person writing and this is Pearl Jam. 80% of people are going to rank the shows they attended as the best ever. They can't help it because it's TRUE. But listening to a CD is a different experience. You aren't there. I want to know about the CD listening experience.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i have most of the boots i'd say my favorites are Albany, Boston 2 and i like all 3 SF shows.. just listening to the Gorge 1 now.. this is a long one!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Alessiana wrote:
    Fanviews relate to the experience of the person writing and this is Pearl Jam. 80% of people are going to rank the shows they attended as the best ever. They can't help it because it's TRUE. But listening to a CD is a different experience. You aren't there. I want to know about the CD listening experience.

Yes, I understand this, but the fanviews can often reveal the magnitude of a show. When you see people saying they have been to 30+ Pearl Jam shows and SF3 ranks in the top 2-3, that says something. I have seen Pearl Jam 13 times. I freely admit the Shoreline show here in 2003, which I attended, was not very good. Same for the Fresno show in 2000. I wouldn't recommend those boots to others (aside from Crazy Mary at Shoreline). I rank all three of the recent SF shows above the other boots I have heard from this tour(including the boots from the other three shows I attended) because the crowd energy, band energy, and band performance were all at levels I have never otherwise heard/witnessed. The boots do a great job of capturing those things. Because it was such an intimate venue, the crowd noise is really captured well on these boots. I felt that all of the songs (particularly Inside Job and Marker in the Sand) were much tighter in San Fran than earlier on in the tour. I could go on about particular songs that sound especially good on these boots if needed.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    boroff89 wrote:
    Yes, I understand this, but the fanviews can often reveal the magnitude of a show. When you see people saying they have been to 30+ Pearl Jam shows and SF3 ranks in the top 2-3, that says something. I have seen Pearl Jam 13 times. I freely admit the Shoreline show here in 2003, which I attended, was not very good. Same for the Fresno show in 2000. I wouldn't recommend those boots to others (aside from Crazy Mary at Shoreline). I rank all three of the recent SF shows above the other boots I have heard from this tour(including the boots from the other three shows I attended) because the crowd energy, band energy, and band performance were all at levels I have never otherwise heard/witnessed. The boots do a great job of capturing those things. Because it was such an intimate venue, the crowd noise is really captured well on these boots. I felt that all of the songs (particularly Inside Job and Marker in the Sand) were much tighter in San Fran than earlier on in the tour. I could go on about particular songs that sound especially good on these boots if needed.

I'm sure SF qualifies. I was speaking rhetorically.

I've heard people say a show wasn't special (Cleveland) but the boot has ended up outstanding because the performance as recorded was great. Conversely, you can have a great show and it not be a good boot.

I've seen the band over 30 times which barely touches some people's list but I've experienced this phenomenon.

Aless

Tell them.
  • Options
    ibustiosibustios Posts: 132
    Grand Rapids is awsome, the crowd is insane and you can feel it in the boot. Another ones: Albany, Boston 2, San Diego. I Haven´t listened Gore yet.