Options

Perfect Combination (Book - Music)

PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,263
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I always try to find the perfect soundtrack for a book. I mean, an album which - according to my musical tastes and the theme of the book - fits perfectly to listen to while reading it. Especially, when the book has already been cinematized, I prefer finding some other music than the original motion picture soundtrack (e.g. Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer - Into The Wild by Eddie Vedder).

One of my recent discoveries: The Green Mile by Stephen King - American IV: The Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash.

Does anyone else share the same interest with me and if so what are your discoveries?
Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pap wrote:
    I always try to find the perfect soundtrack for a book. I mean, an album which - accordingly to my musical tastes - fits perfectly to listen to while I read a book. Especially, when the book has already been cinematized, I prefer finding some other music than the original motion picture soundtrack (e.g. Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer - Into The Wild by Eddie Vedder).

One of my recently discoveries: The Green Mile by Stephen King - American IV: The Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash.

Does anyone else share the same interest with me and if so what are your discoveries?

I can't listen to music while reading, unless it is some sort of ethereal, ambient, or soundscape type of background music. I find it distracting if there are lyrics in English.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    I know what you're talking about. I have already gotten used to it. But yeah, instrumental music can create a very nice and relaxing atmosphere while reading. I recently listened to a band called Explosions In The Sky. They primarily play post-rock instrumental music, but I believe their sound is a little bit too heavy for a background music. Of course, there are always good old classic instrumental jazz songs that are less distracting.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    JzPJzP Posts: 931
    Check out Steve Earle's "I'll never get out of this world alive" The album and book are under the same name. A little dark but they work beautifully together.
    ~JzP
  • Options
    Thank you JzP. I just read the description of the book: Doc Ebersole lives with the ghost of Hank Williams - not just in the figurative sense, not just because Doc was one of the last people to see him alive, and not just because Doc is rumoured to have given Hank the final morphine dose that killed him. In 1963, ten years after Hank's death, Doc is himself wracked by addiction. Having lost his licence to practise medicine, his morphine habit isn't as easy to support as it used to be. So he lives in a rented room in the red-light district on the south side of San Antonio, performing abortions and patching up the odd knife or gunshot wound. But when Graciela, a young Mexican immigrant, appears in the neighbourhood in search of Doc's services, miraculous things begin to happen. Graciela sustains a wound on her wrist that never heals, yet she heals others with the touch of her hand. Everyone she meets is transformed for the better, except, maybe, for Hank's angry ghost - who isn't at all pleased to see Doc doing well.A brilliant excavation of an obscure piece of music history and a marvellous novel in its own right, Steve Earle's "I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive" is a ballad of regret and redemption, and of the ways in which we remake ourselves and our world through the smallest of miracles.
    I like its theme. :thumbup:
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Pap wrote:
    I always try to find the perfect soundtrack for a book. I mean, an album which - accordingly to my musical tastes - fits perfectly to listen to while I read a book. Especially, when the book has already been cinematized, I prefer finding some other music than the original motion picture soundtrack (e.g. Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer - Into The Wild by Eddie Vedder).

One of my recently discoveries: The Green Mile by Stephen King - American IV: The Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash.

I can't listen to music while reading, unless it is some sort of ethereal, ambient, or soundscape type of background music. I find it distracting if there are lyrics in English.

I'm the same,while reading is the only time music becomes background for me,so I choose,instrumental, meditation,soundscape,lots of ambience
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I like reading and listening to music at the same time, but I never thought of finding a common theme between them. Guess I'll have to try! :)
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Cafe del mar volumen 5 - La Pell Freda (Cold Skin) - Albert Sanchez Pinol
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:
    I like reading and listening to music at the same time, but I never thought of finding a common theme between them. Guess I'll have to try! :)
    You're going to love it.
  • Options
    JzP wrote:
    Check out Steve Earle's "I'll never get out of this world alive" The album and book are under the same name. A little dark but they work beautifully together.

Oh!... Did I mention that I bought that book last year and I liked it?... Easy reading. There were some points that kept me interested but nonetheless I can't say that it is something new theme-wise. I didn't purchase the homonymous album though, so I can't see the big picture. :)
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Master and Commander soundtrack with all 20 books the movie's based on.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I once read a book by Laura Esquivel, The Law of Love, which actually came with a CD. At some points in the book, it said "now play song xx", and the music was to accompany the following chapter. I thought that was quite a unique idea. If I remember right, it fit.

Usually, I'm with the poster who said that listening to music while reading is too distracting, especially if someone is singing. Sometimes I thought it was nice to spin some piano stuff when reading, but that almost goes along with everything...

When I read Love is a Mixtape, I stopped reading every now and then to listen to some of the music that the book was talking about. That was awesome, but in general, I do not really care if there is music or not when I'm reading. I am just too much into the book to pay attention to anything else.
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Book : The Road by Cormac McCarthy
    Music : Lhasa de Sela - The Living Road particularly Anywhere on this Road
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Longueuil wrote:

Lhasa de Sela is almost good with anything :thumbup: She died much much much too young. I would have loved to see her live one day. May she rest in peace.
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Longueuil wrote:

Lhasa de Sela is almost good with anything :thumbup: She died much much much too young. I would have loved to see her live one day. May she rest in peace.

That's is so true. She was unique and died too soon.
  • Options
    1984 by George Orwell - Renegades by Rage Against The Machine
  • Options
    The Ghost Dance: Ethnohistory and Revitalization by Alice Beck Kehoe - Easter by Patti Smith
  • Options
    Piedra de Sol (Sunstone) & Other Poems by Octavio Paz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0SDJuUDpl8
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863

Pap wrote:

I'm kinda the same way...if music I like is playing while I'm reading I'm more apt to listen to the music and want to jam along and sing than pay attention to what I'm reading and then I'll end up reading the same page 10 times...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
  • Options
    Pap said:
    JzP wrote:

Oh!... Did I mention that I bought that book last year and I liked it?... Easy reading. There were some points that kept me interested but nonetheless I can't say that it is something new theme-wise. I didn't purchase the homonymous album though, so I can't see the big picture. :)
    Finally bought the CD! :smile:  Glad I did so!
  • Options
    Waiting for Barrett Martin's The Singing Earth bundle to arrive!
  • Options
    Book: 33 1/3 by Clint Brownlee
    Music: Vs. by Pearl Jam
  • Options
    Book: The Old Patagonian Express by Paul Theroux

Music: Brawlers by Tom Waits