Sea.Hear.Now

Comments

• Did anyone get to view from the VIP area?…I’m curious to see if it was worth the premium price…
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    JF100402 said:
    Did anyone get to view from the VIP area?…I’m curious to see if it was worth the premium price…
    I was on the rail next to the VIP area. There was only a handful of people in the front of that area until I would say an hour before PJ’s set. Even during the set it was less crowded and easier to move around in. So basically paying not to have to camp out or be crowded and still have a good view. Lots of executive looking dads and families.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • JF100402 said:
    Did anyone get to view from the VIP area?…I’m curious to see if it was worth the premium price…
    My pics were from the VIP section. It was only really worth it if you got there early. It seemed to be easier to come and go. For me, the bathrooms and free seltzer were worth the upcharge. Those porta potties were deadly.
  • epbadgerepbadger The Bronx, NY Posts: 642
    GlowGirl said:
    lisalamb said:
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    on2legs said:
    I think we look pretty good!!

I'm not even in that picture by the time Pearl Jam hit the stage. I could barely make out the Video screens from where I was>LOL

Still, GLAD I was there.
    How far back did everyone stand?  We were about 100 yards behind those 2nd speakers. Could see screens a bit.  Wish they had screens mid way back.  Was a blast though. Couldn’t have imagined better weather. 
    I got there as soon as gates opened and was able to be at the rail. I have to say, it was a nice experience all around. I cried happy tears, I'm not ashamed to say. 

Awesome photos. My friends didn't want to deal with the crowd, so I left them to get up as close as I could. Made it to the soundboard area. My friends didn't even try to make it down on the beach. They said they couldn't even see the screen from where they were.

Since I was right next to the soundboard, after the show I asked one of the guys in there if there were any extra set lists floating around. He told me they were all on their phones now. He showed me a photo of it on his phone and said if I gave him my number he would text it to me. I politely declined. I don't really need a photo of a set list. I guess that is how it works these days. He said the only written set lists were on the stage.
    You should have given him mine....lol
    We will meet up next time! Glad we got to go it was awesome!!!
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,105
    JF100402 said:
    I was on the rail next to the VIP area. There was only a handful of people in the front of that area until I would say an hour before PJ’s set. Even during the set it was less crowded and easier to move around in. So basically paying not to have to camp out or be crowded and still have a good view. Lots of executive looking dads and families.
    I was a row behind the rail on Mike’s side so I was probably right behind you! Can’t beat that view of the stage!
    edited September 2021
    steven87 said:
    JF100402 said:
    I was a row behind the rail on Mike’s side so I was probably right behind you! Can’t beat that view of the stage!
    Oh I meant the VIP rail! Not that close to the actual rail. Overall I was happy with my spot considering the effort I put it (5:30 show up). Actually moved up a bit closer to Patagonia there.

Post edited by OceansJenny on
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • BB162610BB162610 Upstate NY Posts: 541
    Did anyone stay for Sunday?  Curious if it was dramatically less crowded? 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited September 2021
    BB162610 said:
    I stayed Sunday. It was less crowded. Billy Idol had a decent sized crowd. It got more crowded for the Smashing Pumpkins. I was able to get much closer and could see better since my eyeline was not blocked with such density. The Pumpkins were great. They pulled out all their big hits so the crowd was excited. James Iha was really impressive. But, yes much less crowded. I could easily get up the stairs from the beach to the boardwalk rather than having to climb over the railing as I did on Saturday.

• BB162610 said:
    It was, 23-26,000...sat was 37,500
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    md281342 said:
    BB162610 said:
    Did you read that in the newspaper?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    GlowGirl said:
    BB162610 said:
    I stayed Sunday. It was less crowded. Billy Idol had a decent sized crowd. It got more crowded for the Smashing Pumpkins. I was able to get much closer and could see better since my eyeline was not blocked with such density. The Pumpkins were great. They pulled out all their big hits so the crowd was excited. James Iha was really impressive. But, yes much less crowded. I could easily get up the stairs from the beach to the boardwalk rather than having to climb over the railing as I did on Saturday.

+1 We were tired but the weather was too nice to pass up going back.  On to Dave Matthews Band show at the arts center on Wednesday!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:

Looks more crowded than Trump’s inauguration photo :lol:
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,105
    on2legs said:
    GlowGirl said:
    BB162610 said:

+1 We were tired but the weather was too nice to pass up going back.  On to Dave Matthews Band show at the arts center on Wednesday!
    Would’ve liked to see SP but unfortunately couldn’t make it on Sunday. But I’m also going to DMB at PNC this Wednesday and then on to Ohana Encore the following weekend!
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 1,990
    GlowGirl said:
    on2legs said:

Yes it “looks” more “crowded” than the Trump inauguration “photos” that the lamestream media tried to show you…
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    tdawe said:
    GlowGirl said:
    on2legs said:

Yes it “looks” more “crowded” than the Trump inauguration “photos” that the lamestream media tried to show you…

Please post more.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    md281342 said:
    BB162610 said:
    Did you read that in the newspaper?
    No,I asked the woman at the gate on sunday evening
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    edited September 2021
    Adding to @on2legs, the photographer has several shots on his website. Wonder if he got any night pics. I defiantly saw the drone above during the beginning of PJ's set. 

https://www.johnentwistlephotography.com/

Post edited by lmckenney24 on
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    md281342 said:
    BB162610 said:
    I was there both days and I actually thought the other stages were more crowded on Sunday…my guess was that the PJ crowd was crowding the stage much earlier than for Pumpkins.  I’m a bit skeptical of that Sunday number.

I enjoyed the experience.  I’m not sitting in front of the stage all day so I accept not getting a good view of PJ.  It’s not the best way to see them (for me, anyway) but we saw eight acts that we generally enjoyed.  Only got close once (Ani DiFranco; my wife’s favorite artist) but everything sounded great.  It’s kinda fun checking out acts like Lord Huron or Grouplove and not stressing about setlists or proximity. Enjoyed seeing some legacy acts (Billy Idol and Patti Smith) that I would never think of seeing on their own.

I want a PJ show but this was a nice return and a cool event.

Fun fact: went to lunch near the site on Monday and saw a tall guy with a female companion and two small kids.  I thought it kinda looked like Corgan but he was wearing a “Zero” hat and I really doubt he’d wear that.  Later checked out his Twitter and yeah, it was him.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • I know that saturdays lines for drinks were atleast 20-30 min after 6pm...Sunday was never more than 7 or 8 min..was much easier to walk around and was far more room for pumpkins than pj...great overall few days with perfect weather 
    Any clue when they usually announce dates for next year?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Is white T-shirt guy flipping them off?

I would say yes lol

I would say he's holding up a phone and taking a picture
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    mcgruff10 said:
    Tuesday’s 
    OnWis97 said:
    md281342 said:
    BB162610 said:
    I was there both days and I actually thought the other stages were more crowded on Sunday…my guess was that the PJ crowd was crowding the stage much earlier than for Pumpkins.  I’m a bit skeptical of that Sunday number.

I enjoyed the experience.  I’m not sitting in front of the stage all day so I accept not getting a good view of PJ.  It’s not the best way to see them (for me, anyway) but we saw eight acts that we generally enjoyed.  Only got close once (Ani DiFranco; my wife’s favorite artist) but everything sounded great.  It’s kinda fun checking out acts like Lord Huron or Grouplove and not stressing about setlists or proximity. Enjoyed seeing some legacy acts (Billy Idol and Patti Smith) that I would never think of seeing on their own.

I want a PJ show but this was a nice return and a cool event.

Fun fact: went to lunch near the site on Monday and saw a tall guy with a female companion and two small kids.  I thought it kinda looked like Corgan but he was wearing a “Zero” hat and I really doubt he’d wear that.  Later checked out his Twitter and yeah, it was him.
    I agree about the other stages. Grouplove had a bigger crowd at that smaller stage in the grass than some of the Saturday bands that were there. It was also much easier getting food on Sunday. Saturday food lines were horrible. I just picked the shortest one rather than picking one where I wanted the food.
    lisalamb said:
    JF100402 said:
    My pics were from the VIP section. It was only really worth it if you got there early. It seemed to be easier to come and go. For me, the bathrooms and free seltzer were worth the upcharge. Those porta potties were deadly.
    I am sure the VIP section was nicer. But I disagree about the GA bathrooms. They were not bad at all. I have been to festivals where they just have the normal porta potties that don't flush and they are so nasty, and have long lines. These were not like that. These flushed, had plenty of toilet paper, and they had stall doors that were open at the top - so air circulated. I used them several times, and they were fine. I didn't have to hold my breath at all. There were also so many that there was never a wait. In and out - easy peasy.

GlowGirl said:
    lisalamb said:
    JF100402 said:
    I am sure the VIP section was nicer. But I disagree about the GA bathrooms. They were not bad at all. I have been to festivals where they just have the normal porta potties that don't flush and they are so nasty, and have long lines. These were not like that. These flushed, had plenty of toilet paper, and they had stall doors that were open at the top - so air circulated. I used them several times, and they were fine. I didn't have to hold my breath at all. There were also so many that there was never a wait. In and out - easy peasy.

This my experience as well.  There was also a bathroom attendant who was running around like a madwoman with disinfectant and paper towels trying to clean as many stalls as she could before someone ducked inside. 

nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Tuesday’s 
    Now we are fighting.  
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited September 2021
    Never been to the Jersey Shore above like LBI. Very nice setup up there, gotta say I liked it! The beach was nice; surprisingly big waves. Had a blast at the shore house we rented.

The whole food scene was a shitshow and ended up fucking up most of the night for us, other than for PJ. Might as well put out a trough like we were pigs. I just picked a line. Luckily it had meat, it was a poutine line. Buddy and me got poutine, while also seeing some woman jump the pizza line next to us. She then got called out for it by another woman. The other woman then got punched square in the face for saying something to the line jumper. Wild to watch a little blip in her nose just blow open and the fountains of her nose explode with blood. While we were getting our food my wife didn't want the slop we were eating so she got in the line next to us for crab cake sandwiches. Then when she got to the front to order there there was then another line to get in to wait for your order after paying. By the time my buddy and me sat down to eat my wife didn't show up until we were done and the sun had gone down lol. So then we hung out more at the table, swallowed some crab cake sandwiches, then had to go through the circus of taking a piss (which I'll say the bathroom setup was actually not that bad!). Then had to get in line for enough drinks (2 each person) so that we didn't have to come back anytime soon for drinks. By this time I'm getting nervous on time for the show, it's like 8pm-ish.

All in all, by the time we got in the turnstiles of the festival (545/6ish), got beer, food, piss, got beer again, water took the entire time. Fucking crazy. It's also about the time I call out the insidiousness of the VIP sections and all that bullshit. Because all it really was was to be purposely planned so that it was the only places you could get food or drinks for a fee, beyond the front of the festival. Hey, us humans are just fucking consumers. Gross.

Beyond that - the fest was a fucking great setup when it comes to location. Our approach of attack to see PJ was to just get on the sand, get over to the fence/walkway closest to the surf, and just keep walking toward the stage until it got just too weirdly crowded. Surprisingly, we were able to get all the way up between the first two PA amp setups on the beach, closer to the 1st one. And we had plenty of room, and a decent view of the stage.

BTW - lol it was not Pearl Jam in that touring bus going up the side with the trailer behind it. We were right there, waving. It was just some other random dudes from some band I don't know.

As for the set - loved the set for a fest set! Was very happy to see everyone's perplexed reactions looking around because they didn't know the new songs. PJ did not give a fuck, and I was there for it. I was surprised they mixed so much of it in there. DOTC seemed slower live, but was super psyched to hear it and hear it start the show. Quick Escape killed live, very impressed with it.

Highlight of the night for me was Red Mosquito - I thought it sounded the best of all the songs they played. Clinch's harp playing added to it. Song just sounded right on the edge. Overall, the PA sound was great, too.

I would've preferred of course some more mix-up in the encore and some deeper cuts, but I knew what we were getting going in. Just overall surprised they played so much from Gigaton and throughout the set.

Getting out of the venue seemed a little nuts. We just got up on the boardwalk and walked south for like 20 minutes, until calling a Lyft seemed a bit easier.

So glad to have the PJ itch scratched, it was sorely needed.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    There was plenty of restaurants outside the fest. No reason to eat inside. 

We had lunch at Iron Whale at 4pm and didn’t bother with food/bev inside.