The National Football League

Comments

• There's talk that his vax status cost him his job, but I'm not buying it. Belichick said yesterday that had nothing to do with Cam being released. Now, of course Belichick WOULD say that either way, but I'm inclined to believe him. Cam is washed. I don't know what Belichick saw in him in the first place, but as a former league MVP, with no one else really available, I understand why they gave him a shot. But he failed. Smart move to move on to the rookie. 
    I don't think it was the only reason. 

I also don't believe it played no factor at all in the decision. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    There's talk that his vax status cost him his job, but I'm not buying it. Belichick said yesterday that had nothing to do with Cam being released. Now, of course Belichick WOULD say that either way, but I'm inclined to believe him. Cam is washed. I don't know what Belichick saw in him in the first place, but as a former league MVP, with no one else really available, I understand why they gave him a shot. But he failed. Smart move to move on to the rookie. 
    Well remember it's against the CBA agreement to cut someone based on that.  So Bill's smarter than Urban and didn't speak the truth.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    There's talk that his vax status cost him his job, but I'm not buying it. Belichick said yesterday that had nothing to do with Cam being released. Now, of course Belichick WOULD say that either way, but I'm inclined to believe him. Cam is washed. I don't know what Belichick saw in him in the first place, but as a former league MVP, with no one else really available, I understand why they gave him a shot. But he failed. Smart move to move on to the rookie. 
    Well remember it's against the CBA agreement to cut someone based on that.  So Bill's smarter than Urban and didn't speak the truth.  
    Yeah but we all know Belichick is willing to part with anyone that he feels is no use to him anymore. Often times, sooner than others would. Lawyer Milloy, Willie McGinest, Wes Welker, even Tom Brady. All of those guys had way more left in the tank at the time of their release than Cam Newtown does. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mrussel1 said:
    Yeah but we all know Belichick is willing to part with anyone that he feels is no use to him anymore. Often times, sooner than others would. Lawyer Milloy, Willie McGinest, Wes Welker, even Tom Brady. All of those guys had way more left in the tank at the time of their release than Cam Newtown does. 
    He did that betting on the future though and not getting stuck in bad contracts.
    mrussel1 said:
    Right, I'm just saying I bet his lack of vax status did play a part, but BB is smart enough not to say it.  Also having Cam as a #2 would be very distracting.  He thinks he's the guy.  Better to cut ties for a few reasons. 
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910

Bill also said "I don't know" when asked if the days Cam was out benefited Mac Jones. 

You are going to get zero insight from a Bill Belichick press conference. He's also smart enough to not say "yes, we cut him because he isn't vaxxed"
  • Jumb0 said:

Bill also said "I don't know" when asked if the days Cam was out benefited Mac Jones. 

You are going to get zero insight from a Bill Belichick press conference. He's also smart enough to not say "yes, we cut him because he isn't vaxxed"
    Well even the dumbest coach would be smart enough to say that. 

Cam blows. Not being vaxxed doesn't help matters. But we're talking Bill Belichick. If Cam could help the team, he'd be on the team regardless of vaccine status. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Jumb0 said:

Well even the dumbest coach would be smart enough to say that. 

Cam blows. Not being vaxxed doesn't help matters. But we're talking Bill Belichick. If Cam could help the team, he'd be on the team regardless of vaccine status. 
    Urban Meyer is being investigated by league for saying a player being unvaccinated played a part in him getting cut.  Urban might be the dumbest but that is what you get when you hire a college guy to coach in the pros.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,420
    except what he said was its a consideration. not that its the reason.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    Yes but Urban walked into that one.  He needs to be smarter and understand the CBA. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Yes but Urban walked into that one.  He needs to be smarter and understand the CBA. 

Following the rules has never been a strength for Urban.
    Being a great coach is a strength.  Being a redass coach, as well, lol. 
    Am interested to see how he does down there.  I expect he will do well if his body can hold up to the NFL grind.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Am interested to see how he does down there.  I expect he will do well if his body can hold up to the NFL grind.
    I don't think he will do well.  First, few college coaches have been successful, and I can't think of one since Jimmy Johnson.  I won't count Barry because he just took over a juggernaut. Second, Urban has health issues, and I think the stress and pressure of the NFL will eat him up.  Maybe not this year, because it's a honeymoon year, but eventually the pressure will bring him down.  Third, I'm not convinced his system will work in the NFL.  He relies so much on the read option, the quick slants and the belief that his receiver will beat the D to the spot.  I'm just not sure that will work out.  Spurrier had that system that was all about the pre-snap read, throw to the spot and it did not work in the least in the NFL.  

FTR - I'm a Buckeye so I'm rooting for Urban, I just don't think it's going to work.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I don't think he will do well.  First, few college coaches have been successful, and I can't think of one since Jimmy Johnson.  I won't count Barry because he just took over a juggernaut. Second, Urban has health issues, and I think the stress and pressure of the NFL will eat him up.  Maybe not this year, because it's a honeymoon year, but eventually the pressure will bring him down.  Third, I'm not convinced his system will work in the NFL.  He relies so much on the read option, the quick slants and the belief that his receiver will beat the D to the spot.  I'm just not sure that will work out.  Spurrier had that system that was all about the pre-snap read, throw to the spot and it did not work in the least in the NFL.  

FTR - I'm a Buckeye so I'm rooting for Urban, I just don't think it's going to work.

The Pete did it in Seattle.
    I'm a huge PC fan and you would never tell he is the oldest coach in the NFL.
    edited September 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Ah!  Pete.  Of course.  Total miss on my part.  

So Pete, Barry,  Jimmy and Paul Brown.  Anyone else?

And I love PC too. Great coach and seems to be all around good guy. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Super guy.  Did so much under the radar in LA.  One of my favorite people in sports.
    Got a bum deal with the Bush parents taking $$ thing.

Oh well, he did fine.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

But Pete was an NFL HC prior to going to USC, so he's a bit of a different category than Johnson or Meyer.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • This is a bummer, apparently David Patten died. Guy was a stud for the Pats in 2001.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Yeah motorcycle accident. 47 years old. What a shame.
    RIP champ.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Ok saw this on SportsCenter and never realized this but it is possible for an NFL team to score just 1 point.   Apparently a safety during a failed 2-point conversion gives the defense 1 point.  Of course the offense would have to lose 98 or more yards on the play for it to be a safety, but it is possible.   They had a story on these guys who track final scores that have never occurred in the NFL before. It happened like 10 times last year.  I found it interesting.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    The excitement is finally building within me for football now. Really looking forward to watching Dallas get their ass kicked tonight! Let's go!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • The excitement is finally building within me for football now. Really looking forward to watching Dallas get their ass kicked tonight! Let's go!
    I'm with you but its weird watching the further facilitation of the thinning of the herd. Some of the college games I watched this weekend with packed stadiums and maskless crowds filled me with dread for what's coming. Oh well, ND/FSU was fun to watch.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Life interferes with Week 1, for me, which is kind of a bummer...however, I am happy to make the choices I made to see me miss tonight's game and potentially the first round of games on Sunday. 
    That being stated, I am geeked up for the season to start.  Being a Niners fan last season was a horror show with all of the injuries totally killing the season.  Feels great to have this year to look forward to -- and that starts with the shitty Lions.  If they can't win game 1 it would be a travesty.  [And, horrible to live through the shit talk from one of my best friends, a Lions fan.  lol.]
    Happy we are finally here!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    The excitement is finally building within me for football now. Really looking forward to watching Dallas get their ass kicked tonight! Let's go!
    :smiley:

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    I am going off the board and predicting an all LA Super Bowl. Rams vs Chargers with Rams winning it all.
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    edited September 2021
    I’ll say Green Bay/KC Superb Owl

i know, both probably faves anyway

Rogers will have a chip on his shoulder and KC is still great

would also like to see Brady keep sticking it to everyone until he decides to retire 
    Post edited by erebus on
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
    I'd be more impressed if Brady played for an awful team and had a winning record 
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    I'd be more impressed if Brady played for an awful team and had a winning record 
    You mean like Acheman, Rapelsburger, Teabagger Peyton, or Bradshaw, Montana, Elway, Staubach and Grogan?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
    igotid88 said:
    You mean like Acheman, Rapelsburger, Teabagger Peyton, or Bradshaw, Montana, Elway, Staubach and Grogan?
    Aikman wasn't as good. Peyton could
    I miss igotid88
  • How old is TB12 again? Trade em to Detroit.

Brilliantati©

Brilliantati©