Options

Is PJ Always That Good?

drew0drew0 Posts: 943
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Saw them in Pittsburgh, and I have never seen a performance that good...live or on DVD. So, my question is. Unless I catch them on a very rare off night, can I expect them to be that good next time around? Or what? Didn't know if Pittsburgh was above and beyond what they normally were or what. They sounded just so tight, the crowd was insane, and they sounded amazing.
Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yes they are always that good
    4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/8/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06, 5/12/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10
  • Options
    merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216
    drew0 wrote:
    Saw them in Pittsburgh, and I have never seen a performance that good...live or on DVD. So, my question is. Unless I catch them on a very rare off night, can I expect them to be that good next time around? Or what? Just curious.
    yes... always that good

the only way u get an off night is if you go to 10 shows a tour, get spoiled, and get a standard setlist i guess
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    allways that good .out of 23 or so shows dating back to 92" never been let down allways smiling afterwards.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Yes they wil be that good just about every time!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    ditto. always.
    John C. Lyons, Filmmaker
    www.LyonsDenProductions.net

143XXX
    2006 Tour: 5/20/06 - Cleveland and 6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Options
    Born2JamBorn2Jam Posts: 255
    The fact that they are THAT good is what keeps bringing me back to their shows time and time again, even if I have to go into debt for it.

Never saw a better live band in my life.
    Probably never will.

Glad you enjoyed it so much.
    Try a Boston show sometime.........you won't regret it!
    "This band has provided many people a soundtrack to their lives.." ~ CitizenRick
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    They are always that good. The crowd isn't always that good, and that makes a difference. Nicely done, Pittsburgh :D (and that's coming from a lifelong Clevelander, so you know that wasn't easy to say)
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    merlin401 wrote:
    yes... always that good

the only way u get an off night is if you go to 10 shows a tour, get spoiled, and get a standard setlist i guess

Well, even the standard setlist does not make them "less good". You are personally less blown away, but honestly they always are that good.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Born2Jam wrote:
    The fact that they are THAT good is what keeps bringing me back to their shows time and time again, even if I have to go into debt for it.

Probably never will.

I'm going next year somwhere. Praying they tour anywhere in the U.S. next summer so I can go. I'm banking & praying for Boston, Philly, Chicago, or NYC (best shows, and all within reasonable flying distance from PA). Maybe I'll see you next year!
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    falconfalcon Posts: 163
    I'm glad to hear the Pittsburgh crowd was really into it. Anytime the crowd is good, the show is good.
    MANSFIELD 7/3/03, 7/11/03
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    MANSFIELD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    WORCESTER 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Born2Jam wrote:

Thats what I did this time, in fact, I tried two! Best decision ever!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    drew0 wrote:
    So, my question is. Unless I catch them on a very rare off night, can I expect them to be that good next time around? Or what?

As has been already stated, yes they are always that good. Over the years I've been to a bunch of shows and every time I leave thinking how amazing it was and how lucky I was to be there.
    It's what keeps people coming back for more... and more; several stops each tour. :D
  • Options
    BAM5555BAM5555 Posts: 9
    the best part is that when you go to more shows you find more things that make you love the band even more.....perhaps the way the play certain songs live, or the way they act on stage, people you meet that are PJ fans too, with other cool stories....shit like that...its turning into Grateful Dead type shit//// JAM-HEADS !!!!!!!!!!!!
    BAM
    <

Groundwork '01
    Fargo '03
    St.Paul '03
    Winnipeg '05
    St.Paul '06 x2
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Thats what I did this time, in fact, I tried two! Best decision ever!
    me too! Incredible shows with amazing energy from the crowd. A beautiful experience (and city)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216
    BAM5555 wrote:
    the best part is that when you go to more shows you find more things that make you love the band even more.....perhaps the way the play certain songs live, or the way they act on stage, people you meet that are PJ fans too, with other cool stories....shit like that...its turning into Grateful Dead type shit//// JAM-HEADS !!!!!!!!!!!!

And the other best part is finding things to hate lol.... "Why do they play even flow every show"... "They already played Corduroy as the third song in one of the other shows I went to: why such lack of creativity!??!"... etc etc :)
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Options
    Yes!!! I have never been disappointed... in fact I think they keep getting better :D
  • Options
    drew0 wrote:
    Saw them in Pittsburgh, and I have never seen a performance that good...live or on DVD. So, my question is. Unless I catch them on a very rare off night, can I expect them to be that good next time around? Or what? Didn't know if Pittsburgh was above and beyond what they normally were or what. They sounded just so tight, the crowd was insane, and they sounded amazing.

They are always good.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Yes
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    yes.
    i think that is part of the beauty of pj...they are ALWAYS that good. :cool:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    drew0 wrote:

pittsburg really was something else :)

i've been seeing the band play live, for 10 years now, and to answer your question...i've never seen a bad pearl jam show...sure, maybe, not a "perfect" pearl jam show, maybe but that show is still miles ahead of most bands out there. pearl jam set the standard. imnsho

it's the best $50 you can spend.
  • Options
    pghaspghas Posts: 128
    drew0 wrote:

I had the same experience, and over the last 21 years I've seen easily 200 concerts by pretty much anyone you can think of. I went to NJ1, not a show thats gotten a ton of love on this board (I can't imagine why, it was completely ridiculous), and still think it was unquestionably the best concert Ive ever seen, and BY A MILE. And speaking of the Dead, I saw them 30+ times and loved all of 'em but they never came close to this.
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    hippiemom wrote:
    They are always that good. The crowd isn't always that good, and that makes a difference. Nicely done, Pittsburgh :D (and that's coming from a lifelong Clevelander, so you know that wasn't easy to say)
    wow, that had to hurt. anyway, the crowd is what made that the greatest concert i've ever been to. i've never seen anything like that. hopefully now we'll get the well deserved respect that we should. pittsburgh is always one of the best shows of the tour, it's time we get philly/boston/ny type respect. i couldn't hear ed during comatose the crowd was so loud. it's the only boot i've heard where i can hear the crowd singing almost as loud as ed a lot too.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    They are not always that good. Fargo and St. Paul 03 prove it. Most of the time they are firing on all cylinders though.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Born2Jam wrote:

Probably never will.

Ditto. I don't know about Boston, wish I could have been there, but 20 shows later, there is no better band to see live. We've seen lots and PJ is the tops. We're seeing them 7 times this year and can't wait! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    SmallTownSmallTown Posts: 152
    After my first show, I made it a goal to try and expose as many of my friends to it as possible. So far I have gotten seven of them to a show (including the Gorge in a couple weeks), and every time they leave in awe. One of my friends has bailed on me three times now (financial reasons). I keep rubbing it in because he's such a fan of music...yet he hasn't seen the greatest live act of all time yet. Once I get him, he'll be locked in too.

Here's to Butch and Tammy...meeting me at the Gorge for their first PJ show. Whoo Hooo! They only bought tix for the first night, but I bet they stick around for night two after they see what's bound to be something special.
    10-08-00 Ice Bowl
    06-21-03 Alpine
    09-09-05 Thunder Bay
    05-17-06 Chicago
    06-26-06 St. Paul
    07-22-06 The Gorge
    07-23-06 The Gorge
    05-07-10 Noblesville
    09-03-11 PJ20
    09-04-11 PJ20
    09-21-12 Pensicola
    09-22-12 Atlanta