Options

Pearl Jam Radio's Top 30 Concert Countdown SiriusXM Pearl Jam Radio

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    8/20/2016 Chicago should NOT be #3 on the list.  Shouldn't even be on the list.  I thought it was a good, not great show.  Night 2 was much, much better.  

8/10/2018 is definitely the best 'modern' show I've been to though.  That's a good call.  Probably not better than Randall's or some other ones I have seen in the early days.  But I bet only boot tapes exist.  
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,744
    mrussel1 said:
    8/20/2016 Chicago should NOT be #3 on the list.  Shouldn't even be on the list.  I thought it was a good, not great show.  Night 2 was much, much better.  

8/10/2018 is definitely the best 'modern' show I've been to though.  That's a good call.  Probably not better than Randall's or some other ones I have seen in the early days.  But I bet only boot tapes exist.  
    Agree with your first paragraph for sure going off the setlist and boot of night one vs being at night 2. I would also say that 8/10/18 Seattle show may very well be the best ballpark show they have done in the last decade but for me personally Fenway Night 2 2016 would be my choice. 

• Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,766
    PJNB said:
    mrussel1 said:

Agree with your first paragraph for sure going off the setlist and boot of night one vs being at night 2. I would also say that 8/10/18 Seattle show may very well be the best ballpark show they have done in the last decade but for me personally Fenway Night 2 2016 would be my choice. 

That Fenway show was amazing.

(It was also the last time I've seen them, so I'm probably biased.)
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738
    Repeat tonight @ 9pm EST.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    edited August 2021
    I was at 8 shows on the list. Agreed that Fenway 2, 2016 was an incredible show and should have been in that top 30.  Such an odd list, so many great shows missed but oh well.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    demetrios said:
    VS. all the way through, great songs after.  This show should have been way higher than 29.  I was there, great show.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    JimmyV said:
    No Boston 2010, no Wrigley or Worcester 2013, and the Fenway choice was wrong. I gave up. 

I'm surprised to see Hartford '10 on the original list of choices over Boston '10... both were great shows, but Boston was easily the better night. Also agree that Wrigley '13 should have been an option. 

I'm still kicking myself for only having gone to Worcester 2 in '13 & not both nights; Ed was hurting from the night before, I guess you guys got one for the ages. 

Like others have pointed out, Fenway 1 being an option over Fenway 2 in 2016 is absurd. Fenway 2 was unfuckingreal.

Personal choice: I would have had Brooklyn 2 '13 on the original list of options too, but I digress. 

Hartford '13 being on this list is spot on... of all the shows I've seen... something special happened that night, and Fenway 2 '16 & Denver '14 are the only times I've seen them come close to replicating that energy. 
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    demetrios said:
    VS. all the way through, great songs after.  This show should have been way higher than 29.  I was there, great show.
    Me too.  It was a great show.  There was a soft spot with LTRP, Swallowed and Sirens, but other than that, it was excellent.  Any show with Present Tense is going to be high up for me.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I was at 8 shows on the list. Agreed that Fenway 2, 2016 was an incredible show and should have been in that top 30.  Such an odd list, so many great shows missed but oh well.  

3 shows for me. Was surprised to see no Australian or Asian '95 show on the list. Some AMAZING shows & fantastic soundboard quality audio from that period of time.

• Options
    Repeat tonight @ 5pm EST.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,909
    demetrios said:
    mcgruff10 said:

3 shows for me. Was surprised to see no Australian or Asian '95 show on the list. Some AMAZING shows & fantastic soundboard quality audio from that period of time.

Agreed! Australia, so often gets overlooked 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,806
    Pretty good list. I was at 6 of those (and 5 of the top 12). 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,928
    Pretty good list. I was at 6 of those (and 5 of the top 12). 
    Looking at your sig. list, we've both been at such a random assortment of shows: Hartford '08, Tampa '16, MSG I & II '16. All were amazing, and I dare say Hartford '08 doesn't get enough love & I'd throw Tampa '16 up against a few of the top 30.

PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    I want a recount..greatest show in history was C'Ville.. =)=)
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    I want a recount..greatest show in history was C'Ville.. =)=)
    I think it's top 10 for the era/decade for sure.  Amazing show, amazing venue, amazing crowd, amazing city, amazing fall day.  It was all perfect.  Didn't hurt that I was rail either.  
  • Options
    edited August 2021
     :) 
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,229
    That Seattle show ... :o I think I'm still recovering from it.

Somehow, I was at the "top 3" shows, which is kind of amazing to me. I would have placed Philly 10/30/09 above 10/31. because the setlist was insane, but that's me.

I agree that Hartford 2013 was special; the crowd drowned out Ed a number of times. I think everyone in the place, all the way to the rafters, was on their feet and singing for all they were worth.

I was at Prague/Krakow/Berlin 2018 and would have liked to see at least one of those make the list -- great shows, especially Krakow which, again, I thought had a killer setlist.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options

Somehow, I was at the "top 3" shows, which is kind of amazing to me. I would have placed Philly 10/30/09 above 10/31. because the setlist was insane, but that's me.

I agree that Hartford 2013 was special; the crowd drowned out Ed a number of times. I think everyone in the place, all the way to the rafters, was on their feet and singing for all they were worth.

I was at Prague/Krakow/Berlin 2018 and would have liked to see at least one of those make the list -- great shows, especially Krakow which, again, I thought had a killer setlist.
    The Krakow set was easily the best of 2018, and maybe even 2016 too... until Seattle 2 came along..
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

The Krakow set was easily the best of 2018, and maybe even 2016 too... until Seattle 2 came along..
    For someone that was at both I personally enjoyed Krakow more. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,886
    I didn't have the same reaction to Seattle 2 that many others had. It was a great show, but I've seen them play great shows before. It was certainly a long show, but length and greatness are different things.

I walked out of Wrigley in 2013 feeling like we had just witnessed something special, even with the rain. I didn't have that same feeling in Seattle. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    I didn't have the same reaction to Seattle 2 that many others had. It was a great show, but I've seen them play great shows before. It was certainly a long show, but length and greatness are different things.

I walked out of Wrigley in 2013 feeling like we had just witnessed something special, even with the rain. I didn't have that same feeling in Seattle. 
    Could it be seats?  Stadium shows are terrible if you aren't in the pit.  My son and I were about 6th row Mike's side and I felt like it was special when I left.  The main set just blew me away.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:

Could it be seats?  Stadium shows are terrible if you aren't in the pit.  My son and I were about 6th row Mike's side and I felt like it was special when I left.  The main set just blew me away.  
    For me maybe the distance but I put Fenway night 2 2016 in my top 3 shows and I was miles away so maybe not. Seattle is my fifth favourite show I think. I would put QC 16, Fenway N2 16, Wrigley N2 16, and Krakow 18 all ahead of it comfortably. I would still say it was a fantastic show just for my taste too many covers towards the end. Main set was fire though. If you like great main sets check out Prague 18. Great start there. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:

For me maybe the distance but I put Fenway night 2 2016 in my top 3 shows and I was miles away so maybe not. Seattle is my fifth favourite show I think. I would put QC 16, Fenway N2 16, Wrigley N2 16, and Krakow 18 all ahead of it comfortably. I would still say it was a fantastic show just for my taste too many covers towards the end. Main set was fire though. If you like great main sets check out Prague 18. Great start there. 
    I have Wrigley 16, N2 at the top for this decade as well.  Amazing show and that opening handful of songs was just amazing.    And yeah I can see the cover issue being a criticism for Seattle 2.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:

I think I had similar seats for both. Third base/left field line, not too far up. I didn't hate the seats either time.

I think it was Search and Destroy/Sonic Reducer. One guest spot from Kim Thayil was enough for me and we had gotten that earlier during Kick Out The Jams. Mark Arm, Steve Turner, Mudhoney, none of it is to my taste. I appreciate the history, but that music is not what got my attention all those years ago. 

Plus my hearing is still damaged from Mudhoney in Montreal in 2011. Not my thing. 

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    JimmyV said:

Walked out of Wrigley 2013 so stoked for what just went down....and then wanted to stab a bunch of people over the train situation.  :lol:     

Agree that from shows I have been to Wrigley 2013 was higher than Seattle 2 2018.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    JimmyV said:

Walked out of Wrigley 2013 so stoked for what just went down....and then wanted to stab a bunch of people over the train situation.  :lol:     

Agree that from shows I have been to Wrigley 2013 was higher than Seattle 2 2018.

It took my friends & I 2 hours to walk back to our hotel in the loop, we figured that would be better than waiting for a train. I had just enough battery life in my phone for google maps to get us back safely at 4 am.  :s

IDK if it should have taken that long, but in fairness, some of us were stumbling. 
    The smart people walked one station in the opposite direction of where they were going & got on their trains... wish I had thought of that.

& yeah, despite the significant rain delay, I still walked out thinking I had seen something really special, and can only think of a handful of shows that I enjoyed more than Wrigley '13. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    JimmyV said:

It took my friends & I 2 hours to walk back to our hotel in the loop, we figured that would be better than waiting for a train. I had just enough battery life in my phone for google maps to get us back safely at 4 am.  :s

IDK if it should have taken that long, but in fairness, some of us were stumbling. 
    The smart people walked one station in the opposite direction of where they were going & got on their trains... wish I had thought of that.

& yeah, despite the significant rain delay, I still walked out thinking I had seen something really special, and can only think of a handful of shows that I enjoyed more than Wrigley '13. 
    We started walking back to the Hyatt and walked and walked. I don't know how long it was but we finally lucked into a cab. It was probably 4am by the time we got back to the room. 

The great Chicago cab shortage of 2013. #NeverForget

EDIT: It's funny you mention Google maps. We kinda just started walking south towards the loop. We may have not even been going the fastest way. 
    Post edited by JimmyV on