Options

any electricians here?

conmanconman Posts: 7,493
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
i used to be an electrician before i joined the navy and now that i'm on my way out i will be looking to get back into the trade within the next year or so

just curious if there are any other electricians around here
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    can I call you Sparky now? ;)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    i've been called a lot worse :P
  • Options
    conman wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Can I ask you electrical questions then? (I honestly do have one...or 2)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    conman wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Can I ask you electrical questions then? (I honestly do have one...or 2)
    i'll be happy to help if i can
  • Options
    yay!

ok, so on one wall on the OUTSIDE of the house, one cover is missing on the outlet (bad I know) but that outlet doesn't work, the other one does...it has a cover. On the INSIDE of the house, on the same wall, there is an outlet and this one gets warm. When I have the laptop plugged into it, the outlet gets really really really warm...the other outlets in the same room get warm...but not as warm. A lamp plugged in the outlet doesn't seem to affect it.

a) do I need to re-wire all these outlets?

or

B) can I just replace the outlets?

and

c) if I have to re-wire...is that super expensive? (the outlets happen to be on the same wall as the fuse box/control panel.

Thanks so much! :D

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    ^^^ first, how many outlets total?

second, are the outlets overused(do you use extension cords, surge protecters etc)?

last, are the outdoor outlets GFCI protected(they will have 2 buttons in the middle of the outlet, one that says "test" and the other "reset")?
  • Options
    4 outlets on that specific wall...

1 outside
    1 in the garage
    (a 220 for the dryer in the laundry room which is in between the garage and family room-that's different I know)
    2 in the family room (the family room has 5 outlets total)

One of the outlets has a surge protector for the TV/DVR/Stereo
    The outlet that gets hot only has a lamp plugged in.

I try to not keep stuff plugged in when I'm not using it (like the phone charger, Wii, etc)

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    when you are done in seattle....can you come fix my patio light? it's not working.....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    when you are done in seattle....can you come fix my patio light? it's not working.....

did you change teh bulb? Is it in teh 'on' position? :P

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

did you change teh bulb? Is it in teh 'on' position? :P

funny girl....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    4 outlets on that specific wall...

1 outside
    1 in the garage
    (a 220 for the dryer in the laundry room which is in between the garage and family room-that's different I know)
    2 in the family room (the family room has 5 outlets total)

One of the outlets has a surge protector for the TV/DVR/Stereo
    The outlet that gets hot only has a lamp plugged in.

I try to not keep stuff plugged in when I'm not using it (like the phone charger, Wii, etc)
    sounds like you might just have a faulty outlet(i'd have to actually get my hands on it to be certain), i would just replace the one that you're worried about. outlets are pretty cheap(2-3 bucks each).

if it still get warm then it's probably a good idea to have an electrician to come in and check the wiring...
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    you didn't get that fixed yet??? i remember you mentioned something about that before alpine...

get that shit fixed already!! :P
  • Options
    it's been 5 years...doesn't bother me...until the doorbell rings at night. :lol:

maybe when it warms up, i'll dig into it some more.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,968
    I have a question/problem if there are any in here. I have lived in my apartment for 15 years. Haven't had too many main issues. Anyway this past winter my PECO/electric bill was way higher than it was than last year and I used about the same amount as last year. It was almost $200 for January, February and March for a small one bedroom. Year before it was at the most maybe like $150 and that was maybe for one month. After the winter ended my bill went down but it was still a little more than last year. Last month it's like $80 and i don't even think i used the AC (maybe once or twice) last month. I went on their website and they said my projected bill for this month is gonna be over $200 and there is no way I used that much electric this month. I maybe had my AC on no more than 5 times.

I called PECO last month and complained and they sent someone over to see if the meter and wires were ok and they said it was. So I'm thinking it's maybe inside my apartment? What would cause this inside my apartment? I did talk to the building maintenance and they checked the control panel and said it was ok. Is it wiring? Do i call an electrician? Do i let the apartment complex know and see what they say? I thought it might just be my thermostat cause like I said i've lived there for 15 years and the thermostats and AC is kinda old. The thermostats i have aren't even digital they have a knob on them and barely any numbers on them.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Out of curiosity, could it be rate fluctuations? There's a whole bunch of screwed up power grid stuff in Texas. I know you are in PA, but wondering if you have some electric provider fee issues? 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Did you add high usage appliances/electronics recently?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,636

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Out of curiosity, could it be rate fluctuations? There's a whole bunch of screwed up power grid stuff in Texas. I know you are in PA, but wondering if you have some electric provider fee issues? 
    i don't think so. I asked some neighbors in the complex and some friends and theirs was way lower than mine.
    Did you add high usage appliances/electronics recently?

no
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,835
    Check your fridge. If it is old it can be coming on way too often. Thermostats might help but you seem to be having an issue in the summer too so that is maybe not it. Its an easy switch out though especially low voltage thermostats. 

Do you see your panel and meter? If not ask to. Make sure your meter ties right into your panel and no funny business in between. Know what every breaker on your panel is for to make sure no one tied into it. You should know this though since you have been there 15 years so very unlikely. 

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,914
    I have a question/problem if there are any in here. I have lived in my apartment for 15 years. Haven't had too many main issues. Anyway this past winter my PECO/electric bill was way higher than it was than last year and I used about the same amount as last year. It was almost $200 for January, February and March for a small one bedroom. Year before it was at the most maybe like $150 and that was maybe for one month. After the winter ended my bill went down but it was still a little more than last year. Last month it's like $80 and i don't even think i used the AC (maybe once or twice) last month. I went on their website and they said my projected bill for this month is gonna be over $200 and there is no way I used that much electric this month. I maybe had my AC on no more than 5 times.

I called PECO last month and complained and they sent someone over to see if the meter and wires were ok and they said it was. So I'm thinking it's maybe inside my apartment? What would cause this inside my apartment? I did talk to the building maintenance and they checked the control panel and said it was ok. Is it wiring? Do i call an electrician? Do i let the apartment complex know and see what they say? I thought it might just be my thermostat cause like I said i've lived there for 15 years and the thermostats and AC is kinda old. The thermostats i have aren't even digital they have a knob on them and barely any numbers on them.

check and see it your state did any deregulation to open up the distribution side of things to for profit entities. This is sold as "cheaper" for the consumer which is straight up bullshit. Am seeing higher bills that cant be on a budget plan now.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,836
    Maybe there are issues with your furnace/AC unit? They may still be working well enough to keep your place clean, but maybe they are working far harder/longer to do so? Just a thought. Filters changed often?
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Is your electric bill showing kWh usage comparable to last year's bill for the same month? If the kWh usage is much higher now compared to last year, do you have an outside electrical outlet on a patio or balcony? Years ago when I lived in a condo with an outside outlet on my patio, the property management maintenance staff plugged into my outlet to do outside repairs not related to my condo without permission or knowledge. I only found out when I was home one day and caught them.

Otherwise, if your kilowatt usage is the same as last year, like Mickey mentioned, check your electrical rates. Your billing may have been put through a different distribution entity.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Check your fridge. If it is old it can be coming on way too often. Thermostats might help but you seem to be having an issue in the summer too so that is maybe not it. Its an easy switch out though especially low voltage thermostats. 

Do you see your panel and meter? If not ask to. Make sure your meter ties right into your panel and no funny business in between. Know what every breaker on your panel is for to make sure no one tied into it. You should know this though since you have been there 15 years so very unlikely. 

Funny you said that, earlier in the week my fridge bit the dust and they replaced it with another one. Went to the freezer to have some ice cream and noticed that is was melted. Then noticed everything else in the freezer was ruined. The fridge part was ok. nothing really got ruined in there, except maybe the milk.

I think the panel and meter is ok. I did call the electric company last moth and they said everything as where it should be. I think the panel is fine.
    Is your electric bill showing kWh usage comparable to last year's bill for the same month? If the kWh usage is much higher now compared to last year, do you have an outside electrical outlet on a patio or balcony? Years ago when I lived in a condo with an outside outlet on my patio, the property management maintenance staff plugged into my outlet to do outside repairs not related to my condo without permission or knowledge. I only found out when I was home one day and caught them.

Otherwise, if your kilowatt usage is the same as last year, like Mickey mentioned, check your electrical rates. Your billing may have been put through a different distribution entity.

I'll have to look for last years bills. I still have them in a filing box somewhere. I'll check what the kwh is compared, Thanks for the suggestions

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,764
    Me?  Noooooo way!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Me?  Noooooo way!

1985 Garbage Pail Kids Series 2 Live Mike 53B

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY