Options

Is there anyone NOT camping out at The Gorge?

pjfanatic4pjfanatic4 Posts: 127
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Hello everyone...

I'm travelling from the South for Portland and the Gorge shows, but for reasons too long to explain I had to jinx the camping plans. We're staying at a motel about 45 min. or so away and I'm wondering if there is anyone that is more familiar with the Gorge that can provide some helpful tips on what to expect (other than a couple of GREAT SHOWS!! :)

I understand traffic in and out may be an issue. Anyone else not camping out? Recommendations of what to do during the day? ( I assume campgrounds are for campers only?)

I apologize if this have been pointed out in another thread (probably has), but I've been reading for the past weeks and couldn't find anything.

See you all in Portland and the Gorge!!

Thx.

BTW, we may make it to the Friday beach BBQ (thanks for the invite), but am considering paying a visit to Mr. Suzuki.... still undecided.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    daryl jamdaryl jam Posts: 103
    i will be driving 10 hours from vancouver island to see the gorge shows and will also be staying about 40 mins away in moses lake. i have never been to the gorge so i cannot offer alot of advice other than to expect some serious heat during the day and possibly chilly evenings. also i am told that the traffic to and from the venue is horrible and to allow as much as an hour or more to drive 30 miles. as for what to do during the day, i unfortunately have to arrive seriously early on saturday to fight for a good GA spot on the lawn(i have wicked floors seats for sunday). i hear the beer/food/camping etc is crazy expensive. i am hoping to hook up with other hotel dwellers to get some sort of pre show activities together. i am a gorge rookie sorry if this is of little help
    angels dance on a pin head, just to make room for you and i....
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    daryl jam wrote:
    i will be driving 10 hours from vancouver island to see the gorge shows and will also be staying about 40 mins away in moses lake. i have never been to the gorge so i cannot offer alot of advice other than to expect some serious heat during the day and possibly chilly evenings. also i am told that the traffic to and from the venue is horrible and to allow as much as an hour or more to drive 30 miles. as for what to do during the day, i unfortunately have to arrive seriously early on saturday to fight for a good GA spot on the lawn(i have wicked floors seats for sunday). i hear the beer/food/camping etc is crazy expensive. i am hoping to hook up with other hotel dwellers to get some sort of pre show activities together. i am a gorge rookie sorry if this is of little help
    Hey-
    we're staying in Moses Lake too..... I'm flying from Atlanta and never been to the Gorge. My friend is from San Diego and he hasn't been either. So don't feel like the Lone Ranger.....lots of us out there that don't know the ropes. We'll all blunder in and out together. One thing you're right about, getting there early for GA. I have 10 clubs seats, but probably not that great because my number is mid-high. Doen't matter! It's going to be AWESOME!!!!!!!
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    schwankschwank Posts: 32
    I'm staying in Ellensburg... been to the gorge before, and IMHO, hanging around in a dusty lot in the high desert for an entire Sunday with only portapotties is not fun.

I'll be back the second night, but I'm going to spend my day relaxing at a pool or reading or surfing the message pit... ;)
    Life is Participation in Evolution
    believe you me, i do believe
  • Options
    O-WO-W Posts: 53
    Motel 6 in Moses Lake as well :) Driving down from Vancouver (BC). Unfortunately I have to drive back right after the Sunday night show :|

Anyone have suggestions for thigns to do in the area on Sunday afternoon?
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    schwank wrote:
    I'm staying in Ellensburg... been to the gorge before, and IMHO, hanging around in a dusty lot in the high desert for an entire Sunday with only portapotties is not fun.

I'll be back the second night, but I'm going to spend my day relaxing at a pool or reading or surfing the message pit... ;)

that makes two of us, actually three...if you count my wife :)

where you staying?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    weenie wrote:
    Hey-
    we're staying in Moses Lake too..... I'm flying from Atlanta and never been to the Gorge. My friend is from San Diego and he hasn't been either. So don't feel like the Lone Ranger.....lots of us out there that don't know the ropes. We'll all blunder in and out together. One thing you're right about, getting there early for GA. I have 10 clubs seats, but probably not that great because my number is mid-high. Doen't matter! It's going to be AWESOME!!!!!!!

Hey!! Flying in from Atlanta too... and also staying in Moses Lake!! Good to hear there are other folks are going to around... My seats are 10C, so no hurries...

And awesome is selling it short!!!
  • Options
    schwank wrote:

LOL!!

Yes, desert vs pool... no comparison! But from the DMB DVD the place looks beautiful! A very welcomed change from the humid woods in middle Georgia...
  • Options
    pjamdude69pjamdude69 Posts: 174
    schwank wrote:

Same here, the wife and I are driving out from the Seattle area Sunday morning, check in at the Comfort Inn, then it's on to the Gorge. We're both off work for Monday, so we can take our sweet time that morning getting back home..
    "On the edge of a know-nothin' town, Feelin' quite superior in Den Haag"

11.05.93- Indio, CA
    07.13.98- Inglewood, CA
    10.28.00- San Bernardino, CA
    06.02.03- Irvine, CA
    07.23.06- The Gorge
  • Options
    we'll be heading up from portland and staying at a hotel in Yakima. i went to the last gorge show and yeah with the heat and needed sleep, we decided to drive to a hotel and crash. It does get real hot up at the site, but when the sun goes down and the show begins, its an amazing experience.
    9/16/96, 7/18/98, 11/02/00, 08/4/01, 12/08/02, 4/13/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/01/05, 9/02/05, 7/06/06, 7/07/06, 7/09/06, 7/10/06, 7/20/06
    7/22/06, 7/23/06, 04/07/07, 8/3/07
  • Options
    goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 367
    I'm doing the long drive from Seattle to George and back each day. The drive out is great, the drive back isn't bad if you bring some good music along to pass the time in the darkness :)
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,016
    We're staying at the Best Western in Moses Lake. I'm kind of hoping things get outta hand there the Saturday night.

Last year we flew from Winnipeg to Vancouver, then drove to The Gorge and then drove to Bellevue that same night...it was way too much travel in one day.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    I'll be chilling with some friends from CO and WA. Minnesota will be represented at the Gorge!!! I will be camping and will try not to melt. Also, if you are camping, bring earplugs. You know some drunks will be blasting evenflow at 3:30 am.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert