Options

My worst on-line record buying experience EVER!

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
This really has me frosted.  I recently made a multiple LP purchase from a Discogs seller (name to be withheld).  I had made a purchase from this seller once before and it went quite well, so I gave it another go.  Only this time, three of the records were obviously over-graded.  The seller told me to return the records.  I figured they were the cheapest in the lot and not worth the hassle of dealing with the return so offered instead to save him the return shipping cost and, instead, issue me a $3 refund- one dollar for each record.  Much to my surprise and dismay, this is the response I got:

"Of course. Because not returning something you 'have issues with', when given the chance to do so with a full refund including return shipping, shows clear intention of motive. If I make a mistake (they happen, as we are human), I pay for it with return shipping paid out of pocket by me. But I've also been keeping detailed notes on items as a safety precaution for the rare occasion that situations like this arise. Don't do this to other sellers. You certainly won't have another chance to ever do it with me.

Your message follows the form of the website that first published the info on how to get backdoor discounts on ebay purchases a dozen or so years ago, from starting out with thanking the seller for the quick shipping and then ending with the passive aggressive 'please advise'. Not only are sellers wise to this behavior, but sites like discogs and ebay have squashed the whole premise of partial refunds, feedback manipulation, etc. If you would have left me a negative, discogs would have removed it, and given you a strike on your account.

It's especially sad and offensive that I spend a whole lot of time play grading cheap records to accurately present the grade, not to mention the fact that my prices are low AND there is free shipping for 5+. But you wanted to go a step further and try to chisel an additional $3 from me. Not cool.

I'm not going to bother reading or responding to any further messages from you."

Yeah, OK, no doubt this happens, but to accuse a second time buyer of this kind of nefarious behavior with no proof and given me no opportunity to respond (I tired to email him and was blocked)?  I have never done the things this seller accused me of and I have made many purchases on both Discogs and eBay.  This kind of seller does not encourage me to purchase on-line in the future.  I wish I had a good record store near by so I could avoid such cretins. 

Kind of blows me away how shitty some people can be.  I'm returning the two worst records to him with no request for refund and am done with this seller FOREVER!  Terrible experience! 
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    My husband has purchased a number of things for me from Discogs and said he hasn't had a problem with anyone. Items were as advertised. 

I would be pissed if I were you. The seller sounds not so fab. 

The seller Declutter on Amazon has fucked up on things. Deep Discounts will sell you things then send 2 of 5 and just never send the rest. We will not buy from either one of those again. (Apologies if I should have kept the names anonymous. I can always zip back in and edit.) 

I hate to see you divorce Discogs. Maybe just that seller. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    My husband has purchased a number of things for me from Discogs and said he hasn't had a problem with anyone. Items were as advertised. 

The seller Declutter on Amazon has fucked up on things. Deep Discounts will sell you things then send 2 of 5 and just never send the rest. We will not buy from either one of those again. (Apologies if I should have kept the names anonymous. I can always zip back in and edit.) 

Yeah, it really is just the one seller and eventually I'll forget about it.  It just really bugs me to be accused of something that nefarious and be given no opportunity to try and resolve the situation.  I would be more than willing to work with him, but he cut me off completely. 
    And, yes, all my other experiences at Discogs have worked out well or at least well enough.  There have been differing opinions of grading, but that's bound to happen and I've never received such harsh words (and never given them) with a seller there before.  I probably shouldn't let it bug me so much, but I find the whole thing very disturbing. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I had one time where I got shipped a piece of shit record.  The guy acted like it was impossible but at a low dollar rate it wasn't worth my time to repackage and return and go for a refund.  He could keep the $15 and fuck off.
    With these types of services I expect a certain amount of shenanigans.  The model supports it.
    I balance that with all of the purchased records I enjoy.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I had one time where I got shipped a piece of shit record.  The guy acted like it was impossible but at a low dollar rate it wasn't worth my time to repackage and return and go for a refund.  He could keep the $15 and fuck off.
    With these types of services I expect a certain amount of shenanigans.  The model supports it.
    I balance that with all of the purchased records I enjoy.

Yeah, overall I've been happy with my purchases.  I really try hard to scrutinize seller feedback as to avoid the one's who don't have it together but the problem is most people don't give honest feedback or the shady sellers are too quick to allow returns knowing a lot of people will do what you do and and just keep the item.  Not that I'm criticizing you! I can see where that would be a lot less trouble than dealing with returns.  I'm actually returning two of the records and NOT asking for a refund as a way of showing the guy I'm not trying to scam him.  If he doesn't learn from that, he can go f himself because I won't waste my time or money with him again.

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    He’s a miserable person.  Cant be helped.  
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    Sorry you got treated like that Brian. Everything could be misunderstood and cold in the virtual environs. The record slinger at my local joint could mess me over to my face too, but he wouldn't. 
  • Options
    He’s a miserable person.  Cant be helped.  
    Yes, very likely.  Sad.
    Loujoe said:
    Sorry you got treated like that Brian. Everything could be misunderstood and cold in the virtual environs. The record slinger at my local joint could mess me over to my face too, but he wouldn't. 
    Thanks, Lou. 
    Yeah, local is better that way.  I know one from years ago who had this really unfriendly demeanor but he never screwed me over. 
    I've only once gotten bad service in person in a record store.   This one time, some young punk gave me shit when I asked him to turn down the LOUD music he was playing where the singer kept screaming "f" you over and over and over again.  I just walked out and didn't go back for about two years and by then the punk was gone. 

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Buying records online is full of problems. If something isnt as described or packed so poorly I always send a note to say Im unhappy. Really as a buyer you shouldnt just accept it. I always describe stuff carefully and pack stuff considering how it might be treated in the post. Pack stuff how you like to receive them.

Think its always best just to come to an amicable agreement to discount because returning generally doesnt benefit either party.

Ive had a minor run in with a big company recently that sell used cds & vinyls they probably think Im chancing it. Ordered from them before and packing was poor but got lucky previously with items being okay. I ordered a couple of expensive records recently, first one was graded well but packed in a thin flimsy mailer with no extra card and then travelled from overseas. Creases all over the sleeve matching those on the mailer. No discount offered and I chose to keep because item hard to get and I never win on ebay. 
    Same story again last week, probably most Ive spent on an LP. This time I asked them to pack well before it was sent considering the value. Same story again, damaged sleeve and this time the record wasnt graded properly. I knew it was a risk buying which is my fault. I emailed them to see if they would discount but only option was to return. In the end I just chose to keep because it was a record I really wanted.

• Options
    FR181798 said:
    Buying records online is full of problems. If something isnt as described or packed so poorly I always send a note to say Im unhappy. Really as a buyer you shouldnt just accept it. I always describe stuff carefully and pack stuff considering how it might be treated in the post. Pack stuff how you like to receive them.

Think its always best just to come to an amicable agreement to discount because returning generally doesnt benefit either party.

Ive had a minor run in with a big company recently that sell used cds & vinyls they probably think Im chancing it. Ordered from them before and packing was poor but got lucky previously with items being okay. I ordered a couple of expensive records recently, first one was graded well but packed in a thin flimsy mailer with no extra card and then travelled from overseas. Creases all over the sleeve matching those on the mailer. No discount offered and I chose to keep because item hard to get and I never win on ebay. 
    Same story again last week, probably most Ive spent on an LP. This time I asked them to pack well before it was sent considering the value. Same story again, damaged sleeve and this time the record wasnt graded properly. I knew it was a risk buying which is my fault. I emailed them to see if they would discount but only option was to return. In the end I just chose to keep because it was a record I really wanted.

Yeah, buying from overseas is risky!  I've had a couple of similar experiences and both were the same:  got the package in the mail and looked at in horror while opening it, only to find that somehow, through the grace of the vinyl gods, they had survived with only minor cover damage.  Lately, I have pretty much avoided overseas buying unless there's just no other option. 

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I get that some people won't accept and will always send back....my time is just worth more than that to me on cheap purchases.  I'll leave a shit review and not waste any more thought on it 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,687
    brianlux said:
    deadendp said:

Yeah, it really is just the one seller and eventually I'll forget about it.  It just really bugs me to be accused of something that nefarious and be given no opportunity to try and resolve the situation.  I would be more than willing to work with him, but he cut me off completely. 
    And, yes, all my other experiences at Discogs have worked out well or at least well enough.  There have been differing opinions of grading, but that's bound to happen and I've never received such harsh words (and never given them) with a seller there before.  I probably shouldn't let it bug me so much, but I find the whole thing very disturbing. 

forward that reply to discogs....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    deadendp said:

Yes, good idea.  I sent Disogs admin a message and quoted all of the reply.  I have no idea whate that will lead to but will see.

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,030
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    deadendp said:

Yes, good idea.  I sent Disogs admin a message and quoted all of the reply.  I have no idea whate that will lead to but will see.
    Fight the good fight Brian!!! I hope it all works out for you!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Ive had records shipped in plastic bags with mailing labels taped on.  That was a fun surprise. 

Once i spent $200 on an album from Italy and it came packaged so well it could’ve survived an explosion.  Another great surprise.  

Discogs and ebay are so unpredictable.  
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,056
    Brian, I have to play devil's advocate on this one. The challenge, first and foremost, is that everyone around here knows you're a good and honest dude so we all understand you're taking this position in earnest.

In the sports card world (and I assume records) this is a classic scam and something sellers are very sensitive to. I see card buyers black balled frequently for this sort of request. Grading is subjective and if you're only looking for $1 per record back that doesn't indicate a wide gap in your perceived grade vs. his. To him, it feels like you're just trying to squeeze a discount. The general etiquette I've witnessed is either make the return or live with the deal. This middle ground gets very heated.

Again, I'm certain you are coming from a reasonable place but you've inadvertently stepped into a big sore spot for sellers. You may not want to hear this, but if he shares your username around other sellers will overwhelmingly side with him.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    deadendp said:

Fight the good fight Brian!!! I hope it all works out for you!!!
    :plus_one:
    Ive had records shipped in plastic bags with mailing labels taped on.  That was a fun surprise. 

Once i spent $200 on an album from Italy and it came packaged so well it could’ve survived an explosion.  Another great surprise.  

Discogs and ebay are so unpredictable.  
    For sure!  Unless it's a trusted seller, you just never know until they show up.
    pjl44 said:
    Brian, I have to play devil's advocate on this one. The challenge, first and foremost, is that everyone around here knows you're a good and honest dude so we all understand you're taking this position in earnest.

In the sports card world (and I assume records) this is a classic scam and something sellers are very sensitive to. I see card buyers black balled frequently for this sort of request. Grading is subjective and if you're only looking for $1 per record back that doesn't indicate a wide gap in your perceived grade vs. his. To him, it feels like you're just trying to squeeze a discount. The general etiquette I've witnessed is either make the return or live with the deal. This middle ground gets very heated.

Again, I'm certain you are coming from a reasonable place but you've inadvertently stepped into a big sore spot for sellers. You may not want to hear this, but if he shares your username around other sellers will overwhelmingly side with him.
    First of all, thank you for kind words.  I'm far from perfect, definitely have my flaws, but I try to do the right thing.  :smile:

I hear what you're saying about sellers being sensitive to scammers and I get it.  The problem here is that I explained to this seller how and why the LP's were miss-graded, told him I understand that can happen, told him that I had bought from him previously and it went well so it was probably on honest mistake this time, and explained to him that my sending the records back at his cost would set him back more than a very reasonable refund request. The key here is request, not demand.  And when he insisted the only way to get a refund was by returning them, I told him it just wasn't worth the hassle to me to deal with all that for a couple of cheap record.  Instead of considering that I might very well be an honest dude, he sent that scathing memo full as slanderous accusations. That's just wrong on every level. 
    I stand by my feeling about this issue, and yes, I may get black listed by this dude.  If other sellers are that closed minded, they don't deserve my cash.  There are plenty of others out there who do, and I have worked with several of them.