Options

POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS OF THE 1990s - FINALS

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
With the Oscars and other award shows over for the year, I figured a movie based 'Weakest Link' would be a fun thing. Since we are here in this forum for a 90s based band, I decided we could choose the BEST FILM for all the BEST PICTURE WINNERS of the 1990s.

Now to the FINALS to determine the BEST OSCAR WINNING BEST PICTURE OF THE 1990S.

You are going to pick the film that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the one (1) movie with the most votes. We will then have our champion.

Complete list of Best Picture Oscar Winners of the 1990s
1990, Dances with Wolves - Eliminated Round 2
1991, The Silence of the Lambs
1992, Unforgiven - Eliminated Round 3
1993, Schindler's List
1994, Forrest Gump - Eliminated Round 3
1995, Braveheart - Eliminated Round 4
1996, The English Patient - Eliminated Round 1
1997, Titanic - Eliminated Round 1
1998, Shakespeare in Love - Eliminated Round 1
1999, American Beauty - Eliminated Round 2

POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS OF THE 1990s - FINALS 33 votes

The Silence of the Lambs
36%
darwinstheorymcgruff10Spiritual_ChaosvduboisemickeyratHesCalledDyerGern Blanstenbrianluxmrussel11ThoughtKnownMatts3221JPPJ84 12 votes
Schindler's List
63%
hedonistigotid88Ponciermarkymark550Yefajwhjr17tbergserebusdankindRiotZactJohnny AbruzzoBLACK35eddieceeriepadaveF Me In The BrainHobbestempo_n_grooveSmallestOceansJojoRicebbiggs 21 votes

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    The Silence of the Lambs
    That was tough....but while SOTL is a great movie I felt like Schindler's tops it.  I know they took some creative liberties but I will never forget the horror I felt watching the scene where they separated children from their mothers.  We had just had our first child at that point.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Schindler's List
    As a Jew, I feel terrible.

As a moviegoer, I do not.

I look at it this way — usually I’ll watch SOTL if I come across it. Schindler, while quite powerful for me, not so much. 
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204
    Schindler's List
    That hurt. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Schindler's List
    hedonist said:
    As a Jew, I feel terrible.

As a moviegoer, I do not.

I look at it this way — usually I’ll watch SOTL if I come across it. Schindler, while quite powerful for me, not so much. 
    While I am not of the Tribe, I feel the same way.  Don't want to watch SL again but will almost always watch some SOTL of I see it on.....plus the movie gave us the Multiple Miggs scene.  F'd up, but a classic movie scene.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Schindler's List
    Miggs paid for his “expletive”, that’s for sure!
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    The Silence of the Lambs
    Historical accuracy questions aside, I just remember having a bigger emotional reaction to SL than SOTL. I don’t recall ever watching either of these movies a second time. 
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,402
    Schindler's List
    Sorry to my lost Hungarian relatives.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    Schindler's List
    you should do other decades next (80's or 00's)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    The Silence of the Lambs
    How anyone could vote for fiction Lambs over Schindler's is beyond me.  I remember being bussed in high school to watch Schindler's List and the Holocaust actually became real.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Schindler's List
    Interesting the debate on this....we had one person advocating for documentaries and he was told that those were different.
    Now SOTL is called fiction when pointing to SL as what to vote for.  
    Everyone has their own criteria.

Lambs for the Multiple Miggs Win!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    The Silence of the Lambs
    Interesting the debate on this....we had one person advocating for documentaries and he was told that those were different.

Schindler’s list was based on an actual person/events, I still fail to see how it was historically inaccurate.  
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204
    Schindler's List
    mcgruff10 said:
    How anyone could vote for fiction Lambs over Schindler's is beyond me.  I remember being bussed in high school to watch Schindler's List and the Holocaust actually became real.  
    Schindler’s List is phenomenal, no doubt. But there is no shortage of things you can watch/read that will illustrate the horrors of the Holocaust. Personally, my high school trip was to the Holocaust Museum in D.C. I didn’t see SL until years after that, and although I still found it incredibly moving, it wasn’t entirely shocking or unexpected after visiting the museum. 

Silence of the Lambs though? It’s not even in my top 10 or anything like that, but it’s damn near perfect. It’s equal parts drama, mystery, thriller, and horror, and somehow, someway it nails every one of those genres impeccably. You have an almost completely good character, an almost completely evil villain, and an ultra-compelling anti-hero (with more emphasis on the “anti” than the “hero”) in between it all.
  • Options
    Schindler's List
    mcgruff10 said:
    The Holocaust was always real to me (thanks, dad). If it served that purpose for others, that’s not a bad thing at all.

No guilt here in choosing fictional “oh GOD!” over the real kind ;)
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited May 2021
    The Silence of the Lambs
    hedonist said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    The Holocaust was always real to me (thanks, dad). If it served that purpose for others, that’s not a bad thing at all.

I always thought the Holocaust was real to me, until going to see PJ in Krakow in 2018 and visiting Auschwitz and Birkenau. Especially Birkenau, maybe because Auschwitz was so busy and somewhat rushed, but it hit me while walking out there among these preserved scenes of carnage like a ton of bricks, THIS is what a madman could do. At that moment, Donald Trump flashed through my brain and for the first time I was frightened about the future.  An unhinged person leading the most powerful nation in the world. Spreading lies and hate. 
    Shit was REAL.  

Had nothing to do with my vote in this poll mind you. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    The Silence of the Lambs
    I can't believe SOTL is winning.  One of my very least favorite films ever.  Like the way True Crime books sell well in the bookstore, I never understood the appeal.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    The Silence of the Lambs
    mcgruff10 said:

Schindler’s list was based on an actual person/events, I still fail to see how it was historically inaccurate.  
    There were creative liberties in the movies.  It's historical fiction, but closer to history. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.  
  • Options
    The Silence of the Lambs
    hedonist said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I always thought the Holocaust was real to me, until going to see PJ in Krakow in 2018 and visiting Auschwitz and Birkenau. Especially Birkenau, maybe because Auschwitz was so busy and somewhat rushed, but it hit me while walking out there among these preserved scenes of carnage like a ton of bricks, THIS is what a madman could do. At that moment, Donald Trump flashed through my brain and for the first time I was frightened about the future.  An unhinged person leading the most powerful nation in the world. Spreading lies and hate. 
    Shit was REAL.  

Had nothing to do with my vote in this poll mind you. 
    If you're ever in the States, the Holocaust Museum in DC is really important and a must visit.  
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The Silence of the Lambs
    hedonist said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I agree with you.  I've seen Silence many, many times, but Schindler's only once in full.  It's important to see, but not the type of movie you revisit.  It's difficult.  
  • Options
    Since this one is basically over. I will start another film based weakest link today and close this one out tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who contributes.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Schindler's List
    Does Scruffy know that the Schindler's List is based on a novel?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    The Silence of the Lambs
    dankind said:
    Yeah but Oskar is a real guy:  https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/oskar-schindler
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2021
    Schindler's List
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    Yeah but Oskar is a real guy:  https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/oskar-schindler
    So were Henry VIII and Cromwell, but Wolf Hall isn't an education in anything real. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    The Silence of the Lambs
    It's almost impossible to do anything mildly entertaining that isn't in the realm of historical fiction.  Having dialogue immediately makes it fiction even if the surrounding events are accurate.  No one is making a movie where people are reading diary entries.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    The Silence of the Lambs
    I thought Schindler's gave some perfect perspective to the events whether the underlying story was completely accurate or not.

They reflected the pure evil and horror of the situation.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,232
    edited May 2021
    Schindler's List
    mrussel1 said:
    It's almost impossible to do anything mildly entertaining that isn't in the realm of historical fiction.  Having dialogue immediately makes it fiction even if the surrounding events are accurate.  No one is making a movie where people are reading diary entries.  
    This is why reality TV is the only true depiction of events and should be the go to for educational history. Everything else is just "based on actual events" and will always just be entertainment. Even Washington built his image on lies with that whole cherry tree story.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    The Silence of the Lambs
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This is why reality TV is the only true depiction of events and should be the go to for educational history. Everything else is just "based on actual events" and will always just be entertainment. Even Washington built his image on lies with that whole cherry tree story.
    Nothing kept it real like the Jersey Shore.  You should be able to major in it in college. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,232
    edited May 2021
    Schindler's List
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Nothing kept it real like the Jersey Shore.  You should be able to major in it in college. 
    So true. Many life lessons and culturally important moments captured for the future generations so they don't have to wait for some cinematic recreation of life in Jersey circa the 2010's. Real dialogue with real people. Although, they failed to hit on the revolutionary trend of adding ice to vino that probably will some day be traced back to that area.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    The Silence of the Lambs
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    So true. Many life lessons and culturally important moments captured for the future generations so they don't have to wait for some cinematic recreation of life in Jersey circa the 2010's. Real dialogue with real people. Although, they failed to hit on the revolutionary trend of adding ice to vino that probably will some day be traced back to that area.
    I did grow up and still live at the Jersey Shore ;)
  • Options
    And our winner is The Silence of the Lambs
This discussion has been closed.