Options

Storytellers Recap - with stories

2»

Comments

• Options
    October22 wrote:
    best experience i've ever had at a concert. i was up in the balcony directly above stone. it was great. i was leaning over the rail the whole time and was closer to the band than people in front row only i was above them. we could have shook hands if they reached out. one time when it was quite i said in a simple speaking vioce, "hey, what's up stone?" and he looked up and smiled. i even told jeff to quit scuffing the floor and he laughed (he was wearing sneakers with white on the bottom and the area around him was all fucked up). it was a great place to stand because i felt like i was on stage with them. i could see all the setlists and everything. i wouldn't trade that spot for any seat in the house including front row. at first i was pissed i was sent up there but not after i found such a cool spot. i was standing right next to the vip dickheads who where let in 15min before us. best show i've ever seen as far as relating to the band and sharing an experience

That's funny, I heard the "what's up stone" and saw him smile. It was definitely cool. I was probably directly across from you on the balcony, just above Mike instead of Stone.
  • Options
    great recap! lucky bastards!!!

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    bat2144 wrote:
    I'll try to recap to the best of my memory.

One of the girls taking id's outside told me there were about 400 people. Seemed correct. It was first come first serve seating, which was exactly the opposite of what they stated in the last email. Luckily I got there an hour early and was 3 people back on the floor, dead center. Closest I've ever been at a PJ show. I feel bad for some of the people who arrived later, who had to stand behind people on the balcony. There were definitely people who didnt have a good view. So, sorry to whoever that was. It was also about 90 degrees the entire time.

On to the show:

Setlist: Betterman, Unemployable, Worldwide Suicide, Gone, Sleight of Hand, Army Reserve, Insignificance, Alive, Here's to the State of George W, Life Wasted

They came out, Ed said a little intro about what someone told him, "never let the truth get in the way of a good story" and that the administration has taken that advice wholeheartedly, but he said, he would be there offering nothing but the real truth and went right into betterman. Then Ed spoke about how he had learned about women in abusive relationships and how it is harder to get out of those relationships than he thought. And then compared George Bush and the administration to an abusive relationship that we cant seem to get out of. (The entire show was incredibly political. It felt like they did the show just show Ed could Bash the administration on national tv. But we're used to him doing this at concerts, so it wasnt much different really)

Then he gave an intro to Unemployable talking about how the corporate outsourcing of jobs has left many american workers fucked.

Worldwide Suicide had no story I dont think...

Before Gone, Ed talked about how the band now has 5 or 6 songs that take place in a car, driving away from someones problems (he said rearviewmirror, everyone screamed, he smiiled and said, well we're not playing that tonight). Made a reference to Bruce Springstein, saying he has like 40 car songs, and he's still the Boss but theyre working their way up to assistant manager, everyone laughed. Then he starts Gone, and about 15 seconds in he stops and asks for the fan blowing in his face to be turned off because it was doing a "Steven Tyler thing" to his hair. Then they started it up again and it was awesome. Pretty much the only part they had to do another take of. I thought thered be more.

Before Sleight of Hand, Ed talked about the times when your sitting in traffic, like dead stopped traffic, and you wonder why you didnt get off the last exit, and then sitting there alone you start to ponder all your decisions over the last 5 or 10 years wondering how you got to where you are.

Before Army Reserve, you can pretty much guess exactly what he said. How its young people over there dying for a lie, and how much one death affects so many people, (with a refence to the festival 6 years ago.) And for all the wrong reasons these kids are dying makes it even worse. Something to that effect.

Insignificance didnt really have a story.

Alive was by far the highlight, and most emotional part of the show. Ed spoke of the lyrics and story, and said he knew the guy it happened to, and then people kinda laughed and then he said it happened to him. And then came the best part. He said that when he wrote the song, the line I'm still alive, was what he referred to as "the curse." Because his father was dead and he was still alive with the burden of never knowing who he was while he was alive. But then he said as they started singing that song live at shows, they saw how the fans took that chorus and found their own meaning in it, in the fact that they, while singing it, felt the celebration of being still alive. And Ed said that when the fans changed the meaning of that line, that the curse was lifted for him. Huge cheer, very emotional. I wished there was more of these kind of stories instead of the political agenda, but, its Ed, so its to be expected.

That ended the first set. Then Ed came out with an acoustic guitar, all alone and told us about a song by Phil Ochs, which had evolved many times over the years, being titled originally "Heres to the State of Mississippi, and then Heres to the State of Richard Nixon, and then recently Tim Robins had wrote even newer lryics to update it for the current regime and war. Ed said he made a few alterations, and then sang it. It was just a straight out bash of the administration, naming names, and everything. I wonder if it will actually air on VH1. But it was cool. At one point, he said, "I dont know if Phil Ochs planned this, or if the chords have changed over the years, but look at my left hand" he was still playing the riff at this point, and the positioning of his hand to make the chord was middle finger to the top, other fingers down. Everyone saw and laughed. According to the set list the song was titled, I assume by him or tim robbins, "heres to the state of George W."

Then they set up for the Q&A. While we were waiting outside for two hours+, they handed out index cards for us to write our name, where we're from, and our question. Apparently the band went through them and picked out ones they liked. Ed had the stack of hand picked cards, and gave the first one to mike, who said the name of the author, and then instead of letting the author get to one of the designated microphones to ask the question himself, mike just read the question, which was how did it make you feel to see Ed sing some of the lyrics that you wrote (for inside job). He basically said it made him very emotional, he tried not to cry in front of the guys when he heard it, but admitted to doing so.

The rest of the Q&A was pretty bad. They continued not letting any of the authors of the questions actually ask the questions. None of the questions they picked were really that good. Matt answered the question, what would you all be doing if you werent in a band. And he didnt answer it at all, and just said they all wanted to be musicians all their lives, and are thankful they could do that, which was not nearly what thea question asked. The Q&A was not very good.

Then Ed said, ok lets play one more song, and they went into Life Wasted with no story to end the night.

All in all, it was amazing. A tad too political. I was hoping for more personal stories about the band and stuff, but Ed cant help himself I guess.

Great night, closest Ive ever been. I'm sure I'll be seen a few times during the pans of the crowd.

Thats about it. If I left something out, anyone who attented, feel free to add in more info. Sorry to everyone who missed out on it. I was just incredibly fortunate. It was definitely a special night that I'll never forget.

Time for me to go to sleep. Hope My recap was helpful.

Peace.

Thank you to you and everyone that posted the scoop about this show. I really appreciate it. This was an excellent, excellent review. I could totally get the vibe of the show like I was there! Yeah I thought Storytellers was about just that, telling the stories, not a political agenda, either but I am not surprised at all. It will be interesting to see what airs on vh1! Thanks again so much. I'm glad you got to partake in this special event--CONGRATS!!!!
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    where did they play?
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    NickyNooch wrote:
    First thing I thought when reading the setlist.

Horrible choice of song for such an intimate setting. I could think of 120 songs I would do instead of that one!
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Thanks for the recap, bat2144!
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    where did they play?
    I'm curious as to why no one has answered this question yet. Several people have asked it now. What's the dealio??
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    oktacoma wrote:
    I'm curious as to why no one has answered this question yet. Several people have asked it now. What's the dealio??

It was my living room, but I did not get a ticket so I had to leave :(
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    krzzzymarykrzzzymary Posts: 458
    Great reviews
    thanks

was boom there?
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    joseducajoseduca Posts: 1,272
    bat2144 wrote:
    I'll try to recap to the best of my memory.

[snip]

Thats about it. If I left something out, anyone who attented, feel free to add in more info. Sorry to everyone who missed out on it. I was just incredibly fortunate. It was definitely a special night that I'll never forget.

Time for me to go to sleep. Hope My recap was helpful.

Peace.

Gr8 review bat!
    My wife and I were there last nite, we got the green wristbands (we were maybe sixth in the green corral) and had a very decent location after they moved the tall guys away and out of the view of the main camera. We ended up right there where the mic that never worked was supposed to be.

Random comments:
    I loved the way Eddie opened: "so, we meet again..."

SOH was the best song IMO, its introduction and the way they played it was superb

Stone clapping hard after Ed said something like "and this is the thing: when you celebrate Alive, you lift the curse" was wicked cool

An intimate show of the best band in the world in the best city of the world.
    Make records, not war...
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    no doubt in my mind that the alive introduction was the best part of the "storytelling"
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    no doubt in my mind that the alive introduction was the best part of the "storytelling"

Agreed. Worst part of the show was the question and answer session - band wasn't in to it, crowd wasn't in to it and it was so hot in there I almost jumped from the balcony to grab one of those Heinekens out of Matt's hand. Hope they edit that whole portion out.
  • Options
    themurfthemurf Posts: 5
    bat2144 wrote:
    Alive was by far the highlight, and most emotional part of the show. Ed spoke of the lyrics and story, and said he knew the guy it happened to, and then people kinda laughed and then he said it happened to him. And then came the best part. He said that when he wrote the song, the line I'm still alive, was what he referred to as "the curse." Because his father was dead and he was still alive with the burden of never knowing who he was while he was alive. But then he said as they started singing that song live at shows, they saw how the fans took that chorus and found their own meaning in it, in the fact that they, while singing it, felt the celebration of being still alive. And Ed said that when the fans changed the meaning of that line, that the curse was lifted for him.

Very cool story, and I'm with you - this is what I was hoping to hear more of when I heard they were doing Storytellers. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the class.
    I am the first mammal to wear pants.
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    Thanks for the recap! I've been reading and (re)reading it all day!
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • Options
    groovNgroovN Posts: 92
    bat2144 wrote:
    And Ed said that when the fans changed the meaning of that line, that the curse was lifted for him.

its great to see that ed gets as much from us during the concert experience as we do from him :) yeah!

and you wrote an excellent recap! thank you for sharing it.
    picture an empty cup in the middle of the sea
  • Options
    I can't wait to see this! Thanks for taking the time to share :)
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    Thanks for the EXCELLENT Review bat2144, it really helps some of us visualize your actual experience at the taping. PROPS to you for taking the time to do! BEST THREAD I've seen in awhile!!!
    THANKS AGAIN!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    Unemployable? Why the hell would they play that one?

Probably has something to do with the song being really fucking good and having a great story behind it. Let the current economic situation hit you close to home and you'll understand just where the band is coming from. It's hard for new graduates to get jobs, people with jobs are losing them to overseas cheap labor. I was just talking to a guy Tuesday that had to go to Mexico today because he has to train them to do his old job. Once he's done with the training he'll be out of a job, a job he's had for 19 years. God bless General Electric.
  • Options
    I'm so jealous of everyone who was there! I can't wait to see this. And, personally, I love that Ed is so political and passionate about his views.
    "I know I was born, and I know that I'll die...the in-between is mine."