Options

Boots question --- I'll be bummed if I don't get some help

RITFWinCORITFWinCO Posts: 217
edited September 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Yes, another question about boots. Sorry.

Listen, I look boots for the listening experience. That said, while unique set lists are awesome, to me it comes down to:
1) quality of sound of the boot
2) quality of Ed's voice (range, etc)
3) energy/passion in Ed's voice and in band's perfomance
4) energy in crowd as detected on boot
5) cool improv's that showcase Eddie's voice and bands versatility

I am in no way a guru of PJ but when I hear Save It for Later tag and Breath at MSG 98, or Why Cant i Touch it on Boston 03, or It's Okay Jones Beach 2000, or Black Ottawa 2005,I think stuff like that is the shit. All of these shows seem to do that when listening to the boot even if you didn't attend the show.

So I just want to scour the earth (or internet) for like 10 awesome boots that have this whether that means ebay or official boots or whatever.

If you guys can help distill this down for me with one or two really personal favorites that seem to have this, especially hitting on items 1, 2 and 3 that would be awesome. I don't care if its from 1992 or 2006.

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    milan 2000 is an excellent bootleg if you can find it anywhere out there. i'm sure someone could set up a trade with you for it.
  • Options
    ronyrony Posts: 212
    my 2 favourites are:

chicago may 16th '06
    and
    las vegas '00

either one are well worth getting (imo anyway)
  • Options
    I think Vegas '06 is a great boot. There was talk of Ed feeling ill during the show but it doesn't show if you ask me. I think Ed sounds great, especially on Inside Job at the beginning of the show.

I recommend this one!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    Seattle 2- 2000- Closing night of the tour, the band is just totally on
    Boston 3- 2003- Open with an acoustic set and continue through some rarities and killer stuff.
    Atlanta- April 3, 1994- Possibly the best show with the early line-up

Definitely look into those- all three are considered "essentials" by most fans, and they all fit your criteria 1-3 as stated above.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Albany 06 is way up there for me.
  • Options
    I second Albany 06. That show doesn't get as much attention around here as it deserves.
    Reading, PA
    Washington DC
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Philadelphia, PA
    New York, NY
    Albany, NY
    Hartford, CT
    Camden, NJ
    Camden, NJ
    Washington DC
    E Rutherford, NJ
    E Rutherford, NJ
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The Gorge
    The Gorge
    Honolulu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    9/28/96 Randall's Island
    08/25/98 - Star Lake Amphitheatre
    Atlanta- April 3, 1994
    09/29/04 - Fleet Center: Boston, MA is very underrated
    04/12/94 - Orpheum Theater: Boston, MA
    07/17/03 - Palacio de los Deportes: Mexico City, Mexico
    ---
    arf
  • Options
    you have to go back to the 90's for the best, most emotional stuff from Ed. and I dont mean 4/3/94 Atlanta or anything else everyone has heard a million times. 1993-95 was dark Ed. amazing performances.

personally, 1/14/95 and 1/15/95 are a couple of my favorite PJ shows. The soft songs are VERY soft and dark, Jack barely hit the drums on Indifference. Black is eerily somber, and the transition to a song like Blood or RVM and Ed's rage in those songs can give you shivers. Both of those shows were pro-choice benefits, and Ed speaks about Dave leaving and Neil (who also played those shows), and abortion, and at one point, he says "you should all thank Jack Irons, because he saved the life of this band," and when I think about how close we were to losing everything PJ post-'94, it gives me goosebumps.

get those shows if you can.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    MikeoMikeo Posts: 199
    10-2-1996

all time best show. if you dont count gorge 05