Options

POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Guitarist- FINALS

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
Since we definitely didn't agree with Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 albums or songs of all time, I figured for fun we could move to one last questionable Rolling Stone List. This time we will look at their list of the GREATEST GUITARIST OF ALL-TIME.

Alright, so here we will play the game to determine the BEST song in the Rolling Stone Top 10.

You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) songs with the most votes. We will then move on to Round 4.

Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Guitarist of ALL-TIME
1) Jimi Hendrix
2) Eric Clapton - ELIMINATED ROUND 2
3) Jimmy Page
4) Keith Richards - ELIMINATED ROUND 1
5) Jeff Beck - ELIMINATED ROUND 3
6) B.B. King - ELIMINATED ROUND 2
7) Chuck Berry - ELIMINATED ROUND 1
8) Eddie Van Halen - ELIMINATED ROUND 3
9) Duane Allman - ELIMINATED ROUND 1
10) Pete Townshend - ELIMINATED ROUND 1

POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Guitarist- FINALS 29 votes

Jimi Hendrix
20%
mickeyratpledgeagrievanceTim SimmonsJohnny AbruzzorgambsSmallestOceans 6 votes
Jimmy Page
79%
mcgruff10josevolutiongoldrushcutztbergsjoberschlakeerebusRP112579GlowGirldankindAbe Fromaned243421BLACK35eddieceeriepadavePapbrianluxF Me In The BrainHobbesmrussel1 23 votes

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    Jimmy Page
    Sorry Jimmy.  Move over rover,  let Jimi take over.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Jimmy Page
    Hendrix is the all time best.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    This will probably be the #1 on a RS Poll that everyone basically agrees with.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    Jimmy Page
    Page is amazing. And I would have zero problems with any argument he’s the best of all time. But for me...it’s jimi. Easy choice. 
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,272
    Jimmy Page

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Jimmy Page
    brianlux said:
    yeah... you know what I"m talking about.

I bet Brian is the only one on 10C that saw Jimi live.  Very jealous of that. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Jimmy Page
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Surely there must me someone else who saw Jimi live.  Anyone?  Would love to hear about it!

For years, my wife told me she had seen Jimi Hendrix open for the Monkeys at one of the shows of that ill-conceived pairing that occurred during the summer of 1967.  She was 14 years old and was living in the greater L.A. area and, like so many girls her age back then, she was a huge Monkeys fan.  I told this story on the Hoffman music forums and another member there told me that was impossible because that tour had not been going well back east and the L.A. show never happened.  I did some research and sure enough, he was right.  I asked my wife about it and she was a bit stunned.  She thought about it long and hard and realized that at that time, she hadn't really paid much attention to the opening act who she saw at the time as just some annoying skinny black guy making a lot of loud noise on a guitar when all she wanted in the world was to see her idols, the Monkeys, come on stage and play.  We did a little more research and discovered her error.  That skinny black guy turned out to be Ike Turner.  :lol: 
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Jimmy Page
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Surely there must me someone else who saw Jimi live.  Anyone?  Would love to hear about it!

For years, my wife told me she had seen Jimi Hendrix open for the Monkeys at one of the shows of that ill-conceived pairing that occurred during the summer of 1967.  She was 14 years old and was living in the greater L.A. area and, like so many girls her age back then, she was a huge Monkeys fan.  I told this story on the Hoffman music forums and another member there told me that was impossible because that tour had not been going well back east and the L.A. show never happened.  I did some research and sure enough, he was right.  I asked my wife about it and she was a bit stunned.  She thought about it long and hard and realized that at that time, she hadn't really paid much attention to the opening act who she saw at the time as just some annoying skinny black guy making a lot of loud noise on a guitar when all she wanted in the world was to see her idols, the Monkeys, come on stage and play.  We did a little more research and discovered her error.  That skinny black guy turned out to be Ike Turner.  :lol: 
    It's funny how memories work.  Also interesting that she was 14 in the Summer of Love.  I'm actually reading the autobiography of Dianne Lake right now.  She was handed over to the Manson family when she was 14, and was witness to much of what happened, becoming an ongoing witness.  She was from Santa Monica and evidently the same age as your wife, so it's been interesting to read what LA was like during 67, and how the world was changing.  Your wife was part of that, although probably not so steeped in the hippie culture as Dianne Lake. 
  • Options
    Jimmy Page
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

It's funny how memories work.  Also interesting that she was 14 in the Summer of Love.  I'm actually reading the autobiography of Dianne Lake right now.  She was handed over to the Manson family when she was 14, and was witness to much of what happened, becoming an ongoing witness.  She was from Santa Monica and evidently the same age as your wife, so it's been interesting to read what LA was like during 67, and how the world was changing.  Your wife was part of that, although probably not so steeped in the hippie culture as Dianne Lake. 
    Sounds like an interesting read! 
    What strange times the late 60's were.  And really different in various parts of the country.  Like going through different universes.
    Yeah, C. was not hugely part of that hippie culture scene.  But then, she was never really part of any scene other than doing her own thing.  She tells me that by the time she was a year or two older- around 15 or 16- she mostly hung out with people older than herself, and not much later than that, she was off and flying, out on her own.  She's always done her own thing and is more a one-of-a-kind person than anyone I've ever known.  And I think at least partly because of that, I don't think there's a soul in the world who knows her who doesn't like her.  No idea how I got so lucky.
    I didn't connect with her until 2001.  I've told her a number of times, "Why didn't we meet each other earlier?"  But as they say, better late than never!

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    Jimmy Page
    This was the right answer when the question was asked.
  • Options
    Jimmy Page
    This was the right answer when the question was asked.

Ah, I see.  But was the right question asked?  :smiley:

• Options
    With an overwhelming win. Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist of all time
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Jimmy Page
    See the source image
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    Jimi Hendrix
    oops. voted backwards. Oh well, looks like its not that impactful.

• Options
    Jimmy Page
    "Well, I'm the best guitarist sitting in this chair."
    Jimi Hendrix Talks to Dick Cavett in 1969 About His Electric Church and How  He Prefers Music to Politics

This discussion has been closed.