Options

The long and hard road to developing one's music (Is this missing in today's music?)

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
Several years ago, I read an article that talked about how early on in rock history, bands with potential were given time to develop their craft.  The Rolling Stones were illustrated as a good example of a band that showed a good deal of potential and even though they were not great at first, because they were given the time to hone their playing and writing, they blossomed into the great band they became.

In his most excellent book, Ascension, John Coltrane and his Quest, author Eric Nisenson again illustrate this point in these words, quoting pianist Bill Evans:

"[Miles is] an example of somebody I think was a late arriver, even though he was recorded when he first came on the scene.  You can hear how consciously he was soloing and how his knowledge was a very aware thing.  He just kept working and contributing his own craft... And then at one point it all came together and he emerged with maturity, and he became a total artist and influence, making a kind of beauty that had never been heard before or since...  I always like people who have developed long and hard, especially through introspection and a lot of dedication.  I think what they arrive at is usually... deeper and more beautiful... than a person who seems to have that ability and fluidity from the beginning... And, yes, ultimately it turned out that these people weren't able to carry their thing very far.  I found myself being more attracted to artists who have developed through the years to become better and deeper musicians."

I often hear people talk about how "today's music sucks".  Perhaps, but if it does indeed lack (and I think a good argument can be made that much of it does), I think this may be the key.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    By the way, I am not trying to yet again trounce current music.  My beef is with an industry that is more interested in churning out the "latest thing" and then spitting them out.  I think there is a lot of talent with potential out there- there always is- and that it is unfortunate that this talent isn't given the opportunity to develop.  I think we would see a lot more young artist and bands stick around a lot longer if they were given the opportunity to mature.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,934
    edited April 2021
    First things first, I reject the premise that today’s music is not as great as yesteryears. A large portion of my favorite albums have been made in the past 10-15 years. Granted, I am in my early 40s, but as a longtime voracious consumer, I have no problem stacking the best of Animal Collective records up against some of the great 60s and 70s records. 

On its face, music is different now. The playing field has been equalized by technology. You don’t need a fancy studio or a label to make it. On top of that, there are so many mediums to consume music. Movies, social media, TV, streaming apps and sites, blogs, review sites, radio, and physical formats. Music is probably more ingrained into the culture than ever before. So we are exposed to a ton and it’s less curated and gatekept than it was in the 20th century. The glut of music probably makes it seem like there is less great music and underdeveloped artists because there is so much to not only choose from, but hard to see what’s rising to the top. 

But mainly, it’s not that music is less good now, it’s that we have so much competing for our attention now. Music can feel like it’s less important and unless you want to, it’s gonna be tough to really dial in on modern music. 

But you ask a Stan of Taylor Swift or Billie Eilish, or Drake, you’ll find their passion for the music is just as strong as it was for a 17 year old Pink Floyd fan in 1975. 

Really it just comes to taste. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Bands I like from the last 20 years spent time in the woodshed honing their craft and/or toured relentlessly and found their way. 
    www.cluthelee.com