Options

Little Wing

bmc167bmc167 Posts: 13
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
what is LITTLE WING from the gorge night 2? what type of song is it? tempo?? i'm deciding if i should buy the show to hear it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Wow
  • Options
    bmc167 wrote:
    what is LITTLE WING from the gorge night 2? what type of song is it? tempo?? i'm deciding if i should buy the show to hear it.

Ed was on the soundboard roof doing Given to Fly, and while he was running back to the stage, the band started up on Hendrix's Little Wing, and when Ed got back to the stage, he joined and sang. It's the full version.

Little Wing
    Well shes walking through the clouds
    With a circus mind thats running round
    Butterflies and zebras
    And moonbeams and fairy tales
    Thats all she ever thinks about
    Riding with the wind.

When Im sad, she comes to me
    With a thousand smiles, she gives to me free
    Its alright she says its alright
    Take anything you want from me, anything
    Anything.

Fly on little wing,
    Yeah yeah, yeah, little wing
    "A compliment for us, is a compliment for you."
    Vancouver '05, Denver I/II '06, Gorge I/II '06, MSG I/II '08, VH1 Rock Honors '08, Seattle I/II '09, Vancouver '11
    EV: Portland '11, Seattle Benaroya I/II '11
  • Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    bmc167 wrote:

never heard of Jimi Hendrix huh?
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    pj1023pj1023 Posts: 47
    you should definitely pick up a jimi hendrix cd your be happy you did
    Shows
    Pittsburgh- (4/26/03)
    Pittsburgh w/ Stones- (9/28/06)
    Cleveland- (5/20/06)
    Pittsburgh- (6/23/06)
    Cincy- (6/24/06)
  • Options
    edDvedDedDvedD Posts: 36
    yeah. Jimi Hendrix was great. i heard PJ played Voodoo Child with Ben Harper and it's awesome.Mike also superb on guitar like Hendrix played along them.LOL.....
    .....and he still gets his love he just gives it away,
    the love he receives is the love that is saved,
    and sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky.
    a human being that was GIVEN TO FLY.....
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    Little Wing? Oh, it's only the most delicately beautiful 2 and a half minutes in the history of rock music.

It's awesome that PJ played this, but with all due respect to Mike, the only two guitarists who could really pull this off are both gone - Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Stevie's version still gives me goosebumps.

I love the Hendrix covers (I'm counting Watchtower, even if Hendrix's was a cover, too). I'd like them to do one of the rockers, maybe Fire or Manic Depression.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    bmc167 wrote:

History of little wing, sorry if I'm repeating, but its been said that Yellow Leadbetter is Mike McCreadys tribute to the Hendrix classic Little Wing.

Many similarities between the two.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    If you want to be realllllllly impressed I would start with Stevie Ray Vaughn's version on "The Sky is Crying" album. Really, singing just doesn't do this song justice. It's meant to be all guitar. Stevie Ray Vaughn's version is like Pearl Jam's Arc to me. It's the song where I can't do anything but listen to the song, yet I'm aware of everything that's around me. It's incredible.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    applenutapplenut Posts: 67
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    Little Wing? Oh, it's only the most delicately beautiful 2 and a half minutes in the history of rock music.

It's awesome that PJ played this, but with all due respect to Mike, the only two guitarists who could really pull this off are both gone - Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Stevie's version still gives me goosebumps.

I love the Hendrix covers (I'm counting Watchtower, even if Hendrix's was a cover, too). I'd like them to do one of the rockers, maybe Fire or Manic Depression.

Stevie's is the best. It makes me cry and it's an instrumental.

But you left out Clapton. An equally powerful rendition with lyrics