Options

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK: Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Songs- ROUND 4

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
Since we definitely didn't agree with Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 albums of all time, I figured for fun we could move to another questionable Rolling Stone List. This time we will look at their list of the GREATEST SONGS OF ALL-TIME.

Alright, so we are now moving on to THE FINAL FOUR to determine the BEST song in the Rolling Stone Top 10.

You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) songs with the most votes. We will then move on to the FINALS.

Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Songs of ALL-TIME
1) Bob Dylan, 'Like a Rolling Stone'
2) The Rolling Stones, '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction' - Eliminated Round 3
3) John Lennon, 'Imagine' - Eliminated Round 3
4) Marvin Gaye, 'What's Going On'
5) Aretha Franklin, 'Respect'
6) The Beach Boys, 'Good Vibrations' - Eliminated Round 2
7) Chuck Berry, 'Johnny B. Goode'
8) The Beatles, 'Hey Jude' - Eliminated Round 2
9) Nirvana, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' - Eliminated Round 1
10) Ray Charles, 'What'd I Say' - Eliminated Round 1

Complete list located here: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/500-greatest-songs-of-all-time-151127/

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK: Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Songs- ROUND 4 27 votes

Bob Dylan, 'Like a Rolling Stone'
29%
mcgruff10PonciercutztbergseeriepadaveF Me In The BrainhihobiboGlorified KC 8 votes
Marvin Gaye, 'What's Going On'
25%
erebusRP112579GlowGirldankindPapHobbestempo_n_groove 7 votes
Aretha Franklin, 'Respect'
22%
pledgeagrievancejoberschlakeRS151862brianluxSmallestOceansCsAc99 6 votes
Chuck Berry, 'Johnny B. Goode'
22%
mickeyratBrainofBGABLACK35eddiecPJ_Soulrgambs 6 votes

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Should come down to Respect vs. JbG, but will see if others agree!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    We've got the geritol mix here.

Surprised thriller or an Elvis tune aren't up here either.  I need to look at their next 20.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    With all due respect to the Queen of Soul, I'm just not a fan of songs that spell out words (also not a fan of songs that have talking in them as well as singing).   Great singer, amazing woman, but not the best in this bunch for me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    So far the song with the least votes over all JBG. Looks like we have Marvin Berry to thank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prleHop8bxE
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    So far the song with the least votes over all JBG. Looks like we have Marvin Berry to thank.

One of my favorite clips from that movie! :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    MedozK said:

I think people glance right over the title thinking someone else will vote it out.  To me it has no place being here
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I like "JBG" as much as most people do, but lyrically it doesn't offer much and it's not as 'serious' as I want in a GOAT song.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I would have liked to see one of the massively popular, anthemic radio staples like Stairway, Hotel California, or Freebird on this top 10 list...
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Well, we get what we get....

Wait a minute. I’m a grown-ass man. 

Fuck this shit!

And I know we’ve had our differences because someone has clearly never shaken his rump in his entire authentic frontier gibberish existence, but in this case, I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited April 2021
    Ha.  Was that Howard Johnson (Higgins?) that gave that sort-of speech?

Gambs, you are off your rocker, buddy.  Hotel California is dreck pop country.  Free Bird is cool but oh man.  Those are better than the Chuck Berry classic or The Queen of Soul's call for "just a little bit?"
    Skynard and The Eagles are more "serious" artists for GOAT song consideration?

Sheesh.  Dankind was right - shake yo rump-ahhh!

• Options
    edited April 2021

Gambs, you are off your rocker, buddy.  Hotel California is dreck pop country.  Free Bird is cool but oh man.  Those are better than the Chuck Berry classic or The Queen of Soul's call for "just a little bit?"

Oh yeah, I don’t particularly like any of the songs Gabby named. In fact, I hate the fucking Eagles, but an anthemic radio rocker has its place on this kind of list. 

I’d go with “Iron Man” or Jimi’s “All Along the Watchtower” cover or “Aqualung” or “Highway Star” or “The Boys Are Back in Town” or something with a little more groove to it over his choices, but I agree overall. 

Maybe RS considers “Smells Like Teen Spirit” anthemic. An anthem to apathy, I guess. :i_dunno:
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

Oh yeah, I don’t particular like any of the songs Gabby named. In fact, I hate the fucking Eagles, but an anthemic radio rocker has its place on this kind of list. 

I’d go with “Iron Man” or Jimi’s “All Along the Watchtower” cover or “Aqualung” or “Highway Star” or “The Boys Are Back in Town” or something with a little more groove to it over his choices, but I agree overall. 

Maybe RS considers “Smells Like Teen Spirit” anthemic. An anthem to apathy, I guess. :i_dunno:

a denial
    a denial
    a denial

:lol:

Sure, boot out something other than Johnny B Goode, though.  ;)

• Options
    dankind said:

Oh yeah, I don’t particular like any of the songs Gabby named. In fact, I hate the fucking Eagles, but an anthemic radio rocker has its place on this kind of list. 

a denial
    a denial
    a denial

Even on this board, I think any of the songs Gabby and I mentioned would’ve outlasted “Smells Like Teen Spirit.” 

And I really have no clue how “Imagine” and “Hey Jude” made this list. The contrived end of “Hey Jude” makes me want to stab my eardrums with chopsticks. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I would be annoyed with the cooler-than-thou attitudes, but it's just impossible knowing you guys are serious fans of the pre-pubescent Whose Line Is It Anyway crew 🤣
    I really do wonder about your ears though F Me... Hotel California is both less country AND less pop in terms of chord structure, lyrics, and overall composition/tone than Johnny B Goode 🤣🤣🤣
    Freebird has gained a reputation in the last few decades that overshadows the incredible dueling guitar work that really lit the world on fire.  And yes, it's more serious than Johnny B Goode, are you kidding?  Maybe the lyrics are a bit on the nose, but the song is objectively more serious in every way than the undeniably fun "never ever learned to read or write so we'll, but he could play the guitar just like he's ringin' a bell, go Johnny go, go go go.."
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

a denial
    a denial
    a denial

Even on this board, I think any of the songs Gabby and I mentioned would’ve outlasted “Smells Like Teen Spirit.” 

And I really have no clue how “Imagine” and “Hey Jude” made this list. The contrived end of “Hey Jude” makes me want to stab my eardrums with chopsticks. 
    I am not sure that would even be painful after years of  listening to the Beastie Boyz, you must have some serious eardrum calluses!
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    dankind said:

Oh yeah, I don’t particularly like any of the songs Gabby named. In fact, I hate the fucking Eagles, but an anthemic radio rocker has its place on this kind of list. 

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I would be annoyed with the cooler-than-thou attitudes, but it's just impossible knowing you guys are serious fans of the pre-pubescent Whose Line Is It Anyway crew 🤣
    I really do wonder about your ears though F Me... Hotel California is both less country AND less pop in terms of chord structure, lyrics, and overall composition/tone than Johnny B Goode 🤣🤣🤣
    Freebird has gained a reputation in the last few decades that overshadows the incredible dueling guitar work that really lit the world on fire.  And yes, it's more serious than Johnny B Goode, are you kidding?  Maybe the lyrics are a bit on the nose, but the song is objectively more serious in every way than the undeniably fun "never ever learned to read or write so we'll, but he could play the guitar just like he's ringin' a bell, go Johnny go, go go go.."

I don't think I am cooler than you, Gambs, just giving your Beasties hating tastes some shit.
    ;)
  • Options

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I don't think I am cooler than you, Gambs, just giving your Beasties hating tastes some shit.
    ;)
    I know, it's all in good fun!
  • Options
    The Dude fucking hating The Eagles is one of the greatest cinema mysteries of all time...
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    rgambs said:
    The Dude fucking hating The Eagles is one of the greatest cinema mysteries scenes of all time...
    Fixed
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Honestly, none of these songs are even in my top 20 if I had to cobble a list together. I know the haters will laugh, but when I was a kid, Hey Jude was probably my favorite song. Still love it, but not at the top.

Much like albums, it's hard to pick favorites because mood and genre make a difference. War Ensemble hits the spot when I want some thrashing metal and Papa was a Rollin' Stone when I need a funk fix.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Honestly, none of these songs are even in my top 20 if I had to cobble a list together. I know the haters will laugh, but when I was a kid, Hey Jude was probably my favorite song. Still love it, but not at the top.

Much like albums, it's hard to pick favorites because mood and genre make a difference. War Ensemble hits the spot when I want some thrashing metal and Papa was a Rollin' Stone when I need a funk fix.
    I think that one could easily have taken Nirvana's entry or Good Vibrations...
  • Options
    I got arrested at the Mardis Gras for jumping on a float...
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,272
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5TmORitlKk
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    I got arrested at the Mardis Gras for jumping on a float...

my man MCA's got a beard like a billy goat

• Options
    dankind said:

I am always fascinated and a bit dumb founded that Hendrix's cover of Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" is held in such high esteem.  I've been a Jimi fan since day one but have never much cared for that cut.  Of everything he recorded for his three official Experience albums, Watchtower is one of my least favorites. 

Cool that you mention the Thin Lizzy number.  Lynott is one of the most overlooked greats of rock and roll ever. 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:

I am always fascinated and a bit dumb founded that Hendrix's cover of Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" is held in such high esteem.  I've been a Jimi fan since day one but have never much cared for that cut.  Of everything he recorded for his three official Experience albums, Watchtower is one of my least favorites. 

Cool that you mention the Thin Lizzy number.  Lynott is one of the most overlooked greats of rock and roll ever. 
    The radio anthem quality of it is what I was thinking. Dylan's version is anything but that.

We've got Aretha's superior anthemic version of Otis Redding's "Respect." (Gabby, if you don't think this song is an anthem, then you've never goddamn heard one!) I think Hendrix's superior anthemic version of "Watchtower" at least warrants a mention.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Bob Dylan, 'Like a Rolling Stone' and Marvin Gaye, 'What's Going On' have been eliminated.
This discussion has been closed.