POLL - The WEAKEST LINK: Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Songs- ROUND 3

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
Since we definitely didn't agree with Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 albums of all time, I figured for fun we could move to another questionable Rolling Stone List. This time we will look at their list of the GREATEST SONGS OF ALL-TIME.

Alright, so we are now moving on to ROUND 3 to determine the BEST song in the Rolling Stone Top 10.

You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) songs with the most votes. We will then move on to Round 4.

Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Songs of ALL-TIME
1) Bob Dylan, 'Like a Rolling Stone'
2) The Rolling Stones, '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction'
3) John Lennon, 'Imagine'
4) Marvin Gaye, 'What's Going On'
5) Aretha Franklin, 'Respect'
6) The Beach Boys, 'Good Vibrations' - Eliminated Round 2
7) Chuck Berry, 'Johnny B. Goode'
8) The Beatles, 'Hey Jude' - Eliminated Round 2
9) Nirvana, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' - Eliminated Round 1
10) Ray Charles, 'What'd I Say' - Eliminated Round 1

Complete list located here: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/500-greatest-songs-of-all-time-151127/

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK: Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Songs- ROUND 3 28 votes

Bob Dylan, 'Like a Rolling Stone'
14%
mcgruff10PoncierF Me In The BrainGlorified KC 4 votes
The Rolling Stones, '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction'
21%
tbergsRS151862MedozKeeriepadavergambsjoe159 6 votes
John Lennon, 'Imagine'
25%
cutzmickeyratTim SimmonserebusdankindbrianluxHobbes 7 votes
Marvin Gaye, 'What's Going On'
7%
Paptempo_n_groove 2 votes
Aretha Franklin, 'Respect'
17%
vitopledgeagrievanceRP112579SmallestOceansCsAc99 5 votes
Chuck Berry, 'Johnny B. Goode'
14%
DC29940BLACK35eddiecPJ_Soul 4 votes

Comments

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEp7QrOBxyQ
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    John Lennon, 'Imagine'
    "Imagine" has these great idealistic lyrics, but it always seemed a little to unrealistic to me.  Maybe I lack imagination!  And  other than tribal peoples (like Fijians, for example), does anyone really imagine having no possessions?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    John Lennon, 'Imagine'
    brianlux said:
    "Imagine" has these great idealistic lyrics, but it always seemed a little to unrealistic to me.  Maybe I lack imagination!  And  other than tribal peoples (like Fijians, for example), does anyone really imagine having no possessions?
    Those two words are pretty much synonymous, Brian. 

For me, the chord structure of "Imagine" is what truly lacks creativity.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Does anyone else get the song they voted for stuck in their head right afterward?
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    John Lennon, 'Imagine'
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Those two words are pretty much synonymous, Brian. 

For me, the chord structure of "Imagine" is what truly lacks creativity.

Good points, both.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

John Lennon, 'Imagine'
    Does anyone else get the song they voted for stuck in their head right afterward?

Haha! Yes, as a matter of fact!

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    John Lennon, 'Imagine'
    Imagine has always seemed so hokey to me. 

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    If Hey Jude is out and Satisfaction and Johnny B Goode are still in then I'm out, that's just silly.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    rgambs said:
    If Hey Jude is out and Satisfaction and Johnny B Goode are still in then I'm out, that's just silly.
    The top 10 was off to begin with!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    rgambs said:

They are both better songs!  :)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    John Lennon, 'Imagine'
    Whoa!  I thought I would be the odd guy out on this one choosing  "Imagine".  Imagine that! (So far, anyway.)

• erebuserebus Posts: 549
    John Lennon, 'Imagine'
    Imagine is the song you would least want to sing along to or tap along, air guitar or drum 

to me it’s an ok song but just kind of a monotone drone 
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    It's a beautiful song and I love it.  Is kinda boring given some of the others on the list.  I can see why it is drawing votes.
    Although....there is this that Imagine has 
    https://youtu.be/DN04l2AEg3g

Although....there is this that Imagine has 
    https://youtu.be/DN04l2AEg3g

Omg I think of this scene in Quantum Leap almost every time I hear this song.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:

They are better songs to people who listen to Beastie Boyz maybe, but those of us with ears that don't like to be stuffed with corn know the truth 🤣

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

They are better songs to people who listen to Beastie Boyz maybe, but those of us with ears that don't like to be stuffed with corn know the truth 🤣

Ha.  
    In all seriousness, Hey Jude is mostly boring.  I dig it, but it is not a great song IMO, and no remotely the best The Beatles tune.
    JBG and Satisfaction both are rock songs.  
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Ha.  
    In all seriousness, Hey Jude is mostly boring.  I dig it, but it is not a great song IMO, and no remotely the best The Beatles tune.
    It's just about songs though, not rock songs, right?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    A lot of trash talk against Imagine. The lyrics and the song weren't meant to be overly complicated. It's a simple song with a powerful message by a man looking to make a difference. It has had a profound influence in the world. I mean, what about JBG or Satisfaction is so profound? I get the other 3 being up there, but those 2 are puff pastry. I like them both, but greatest song? Pfft, not a chance.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Ha.  
    It's just about songs though, not rock songs, right?
    Of course, yes.
    Just so happens that you have to look at songs that you like through.....your spectrum.
    I am a rocker.

tbergs said:
    A lot of trash talk against Imagine. The lyrics and the song weren't meant to be overly complicated. It's a simple song with a powerful message by a man looking to make a difference. It has had a profound influence in the world. I mean, what about JBG or Satisfaction is so profound? I get the other 3 being up there, but those 2 are puff pastry. I like them both, but greatest song? Pfft, not a chance.

Really?
    Look at when JBG came out.  What did other songs sound like?
    That shit blew the doors off.
    Sorry, but Imagine is an amazing song...but it is boring.  It has the power of the lyrics and that makes it great....but the actual song if totally fucking boring.  Any hippie stinkpot with a geet can make that song.
    Chuck Berry stomped on that shit with Johnny B Goode.
    195-fucking 8.

Calling 1958 JBG puff pastry is crazy!
    edited March 2021
    Definitively not puff...that shit was heavy.

Post edited by Glorified KC on
    Calling it Puff while supporting Imagine (which, musically, is about as puff as it gets) is a fucking joke
    edited March 2021
    People want to blow the fucking beatles or lennon....but at least blow the best songs not the generic bs ones!
    John Lennon, 'Imagine'
    tbergs said:

Good points, and though I wouldn't say finding "satisfaction" in anything is profound, it is a basic human desire and that's at least in part what makes it a great song- the universality of theme, the of striving to find satisfaction (or, in the case of The Replacements' song, "Unsatisfied", the futility of striving for the impossible, unachievable, or unlikely).   And the other thing- one might argue-  that gives the Stones' number an edge are some of the musical factors- a riff that sticks to the brain like glue and incessant beat that is almost impossible for the body not to move to.

Imagine is a lovely song in many ways and, yes, profound in its support of lofty goals, but as a whole, it may not have the overall grip it needs to come on top in a poll such as this one.  We shall see!

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    The Rolling Stones, '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction' and John Lennon, 'Imagine' have been eliminated in Round 3
This discussion has been closed.