Options

robert pollard

kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
i have a guided by voices cd, but how was robert live tonite... anyone??
lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
~it is shining it is shining~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kdpjam wrote:
    i have a guided by voices cd, but how was robert live tonite... anyone??
    Don't know about tonight but I've seen GBV about 10 times and its GREAT!! Part of the reason we are makin the trip tomorrow

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Options
    Don't know about tonight but I've seen GBV about 10 times and its GREAT!! Part of the reason we are makin the trip tomorrow

thanks. hopefully someone will comment that went to the show tonite.

tomorrow, tomorrow, i love ya, tomorrow....... ;)
  • Options
    Bird888Bird888 Posts: 99
    I liked them a lot. They really rocked hard. Pretty empty areana for their set, and most people sat throughout. But I would love to see them in a smaller venue
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride" ! Unknown

• Options
    RWRW Posts: 97
    Robert Pollard ROCKED tonight! I hope you get a chance to see him. He kept calling us "kids" and "boys and girls", probably because he's old enough to be our grandfather! Ed sat side stage through his whole set, and said he was really looking forward to hearing him at these next few shows. Every song was 2-3 minutes of punk/pop, great stuff. I'd love to hear some more of his stuff. Great way to open a show!
  • Options
    good to hear. my friend doesn't seem interested, but we have to be there for that, due to your recommendation... :) thanks.
  • Options
    RWRW Posts: 97
    Bird888 wrote:
    I liked them a lot. They really rocked hard. Pretty empty areana for their set, and most people sat throughout. But I would love to see them in a smaller venue

Yeah, how could people sit through that??? I was rockin out and the people behind me were yelling at me to sit down. I had to remind them they were at a rock concert. lol
  • Options
    Yeah, how could people sit through that??? I was rockin out and the people behind me were yelling at me to sit down. I had to remind them they were at a rock concert. lol
    Anyone tells Me to sit down during the God of Indie Rock tomorrow night and all hells breakin loose- I'm goin nuts for this one- GBV! GBV! GBV! what shitty band are you in? He's from Ohio!!!?!?!?! the place should be packed and drinkin their asses off, partying down??!?!?!

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    bob played an incredible set.

I was standing and rocking out during the first song, and some stupid security fucker made my buddies and I sit down. I was pissed as all hell. We asked the people behind us too and they said they didnt care, and we stood up and got yelled at again.

fuck security.

so I rocked out in my seat....lost my voice after bobs set....lol
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    sounds like a great show, all in all. i fear people telling me to sit down tomorrow....
  • Options
    kdpjam wrote:
    sounds like a great show, all in all. i fear people telling me to sit down tomorrow....

you are in for a treat. Bob was on FIRE tonight, and his band was tight as hell.

he even broke out "game of pricks" towards the end.

have fun!
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    igotid_8igotid_8 Cleveland, Ohio Posts: 497
    First time I had ever heard of Bob Pollard, and they rocked. My favorite opening band of PJ yet.

If you're going to Cincy, check them out.
    2000 Columbus, Pittsburgh
    2003 Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus
    2004 Toledo
    2005 Hamilton, Pittsburgh
    2006 Cleveland, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Cleveland
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Detroit
    2016 Tampa, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018 Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2022 Hamilton
    2023 Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Austin 1, Austin 2
  • Options
    luca girlluca girl Posts: 14
    i don't know, i never heard of robert pollard before, but i think his set was interesting to say the least. how about when eddie came out to give him a cigarette? that was cool.
    Caught a bolt 'a lightnin'...cursed the day he let it go...

Please say, that if you hadn't of gone now
    I wouldn't have lost you another way
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    bob wasn't bad, i really didn't know what to expect. all the songs are really short, but my friend told me he's recorded like a 1000 songs so i guess that comes with the territory. it was funny when he said he needed a smoke and ed ran out onto the stage and gave him one.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    ndv180ndv180 Posts: 80
    Was Tommy Keane in his band (playing guitar) ??? If they were billed as Robert Pollard and the Ascended Masters, he probably was.
  • Options
    Ive never heard of him before getting tickets, the one positive is he did rock hard. But overall I was bored and he came across to me as an old hipster doofus. I was more laughing at his antics than anything else. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    What was he drinking on stage? I couldn't see from my seat. It looked like a bottle of whiskey or something..
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    slushslush Posts: 32
    Ill come right out and say it, I thought he was a douche. The "boys and girls" comments along with the ridiculous jumping and kicking were over the top. He was having a good time, thats good. But the music, ugh.
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Watch out, RS will jump all over you for saying mean things about Bob.

He's supposed to be the "God of Indie Rock", which I think is kind of an oxymoron.

:D
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    Anyone tells Me to sit down during the God of Indie Rock tomorrow night and all hells breakin loose- I'm goin nuts for this one- GBV! GBV! GBV! what shitty band are you in? He's from Ohio!!!?!?!?! the place should be packed and drinkin their asses off, partying down??!?!?!

Not only is he (and GBV) from Ohio, but Dayton, Ohio which is less than an hour from Cinci.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/10/21/tem_ae21lede.html
    George

Toldeo, OH 9-22-96 | Cuyahoga Falls, OH 8-26-98 | Columbus, OH 8-21-00 | Cleveland, OH 4-25-03 | Columbus, OH 6-24-03 | Kitchener, ON 9-11-05 | London, ON 9-12-05 | Hamilton, ON 9-13-05 | Cincinnati, OH 6-24-06
  • Options
    Vedderman23Vedderman23 Posts: 855
    Tom K wrote:
    What was he drinking on stage? I couldn't see from my seat. It looked like a bottle of whiskey or something..

Some tasty Jose Cuervo and some Miller Lites....now that's a combo!! :D
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 9/10/23 coming soon
  • Options
    nnate8nnate8 Posts: 4
    Pollard is the man.
    Robert Pollard Facts:
    -Originally a school teacher here in ohio.
    -Pitched the first no hitter at Wright State Univeristy.
    -Releases at least 4 to 5 records a year under various band names inhis "Fading Captain Series".

I've seen him a bogarts in cinncy in 97
    and also in Chicago at the Abbey Pub (incredibly small joint)
    A lot of fun live and expensive if you try to collect everything he releases. I was pumped to here he was opening for PJ. Unfortunatly I saw them in DC,

but it was still a great show and my morning jacket was great too.
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    according to allmusic.com, robert was born in 1957.
    i'm right behind him, not quite that old yet. I thought he was 60. I liked him.
    it did not make sense when he said he wrote a song with carole king in 1963, either my hearing is wrong or allmusic put the wrong birthdate. most ppl in the audience only know carole king as the Gap lady. I have her album, Tapestry.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    Some tasty Jose Cuervo and some Miller Lites....now that's a combo!! :D

He was drinking Jose out of the bottle? What a fucking whack...
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 229
    I had somewhat high expectations and thought the opening set was just ok. Like his other project, songs were short and too the point, but a little more pop-sounding than some of the GBV stuff. Still, it was a lot better than some of the previous opening acts. On this tour, they have done well with My Morning Jacked and Pollard.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    stillahivestillahive Posts: 14
    pollard sucks. i left for halls at the beginning of his set. but i checked from timt to time to see if eddies was going to do a song with him. :/
    " 'No.....Way' my answer to that, 'No.....Way'"
  • Options
    superslush wrote:
    Ill come right out and say it, I thought he was a douche. The "boys and girls" comments along with the ridiculous jumping and kicking were over the top. He was having a good time, thats good. But the music, ugh.

the antics are kind-of meant to be funny. i've never seen him/them live, but i bought a live DVD and i was really thrown off at first.

i bought my first guided by voices CD last June...and i now own about 15. it's not for everyone, but if you're a fan of music you cannot deny this:

http://www.gbvdb.com/tracks.asp?x=1&artistid=&artistids=4&all=true

that's impressive on any level and i think that's why pearl jam had him open for them...also, i promise PROMISE that i could make you a GBV mixed CD you would like.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • Options
    ndv180ndv180 Posts: 80
    ndv180 wrote:
    Was Tommy Keane in his band (playing guitar) ??? If they were billed as Robert Pollard and the Ascended Masters, he probably was.

To answer my own question, yes he was. Tommy Keene has put out some great material of his own, most notably in the mid 80's. I much prefer his stuff to Robert Pollard's.
  • Options
    supergrasssupergrass Posts: 48
    I hate to say, but Robert Pollard was one of the few opening acts I couldn't get into at all. After seeing very good groups such as Kings of Leon before U2 and My Morning Jacket twice before Pearl Jam, Robert Pollard just offered nothing for me.
  • Options
    the antics are kind-of meant to be funny. i've never seen him/them live, but i bought a live DVD and i was really thrown off at first.

i bought my first guided by voices CD last June...and i now own about 15. it's not for everyone, but if you're a fan of music you cannot deny this:

http://www.gbvdb.com/tracks.asp?x=1&artistid=&artistids=4&all=true

that's impressive on any level and i think that's why pearl jam had him open for them...also, i promise PROMISE that i could make you a GBV mixed CD you would like.

Saw GBV on Austin City Limits this past year, and they were reaaally good. Glad Girls rocks! What a fun sing-along anthem.
  • Options
    you guys are all smoking crack. pollard is the man.

and to whoever called him a douche.....lighten up buddy. he was just having fun and enjoying himself.

you should all be ashamed.

here's a toast to my fellow bob fans. he could drink any one of us under the table. (yeah, he was knocking back Jose Cuervo out of the bottle)