Options

John Coltrane

stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
edited January 2012 in Other Music
I raked out a few of his albums a month or so ago blew off the dust :oops: and put into my to listen to pile.
Finally got through the pile and he is about all I have been listening to the past week.

Great for just chilling/pottering/reading too.

Any one else appreciative of his smoothness in playing?
“There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Yes! I don't have a lot of his stuff, but I do enjoy listening to him. I particularly like his pairing up with the Thelonius Monk Quartet at Carnegie Hall.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    SD48277 wrote:
    Yes! I don't have a lot of his stuff, but I do enjoy listening to him. I particularly like his pairing up with the Thelonius Monk Quartet at Carnegie Hall.

Yes I believe he recorded over 100 albums with a range of other artists,I guess most famously with Miles Davis
  • Options
    kjw818kjw818 Posts: 96
    stargirl69 wrote:

Yes, enough to name my daughter after one of his songs...''Naima''

Obviously his stuff with Miles is great, but check out his early 60's releases on Impulse! with his Classic Quartet. McCoy Tyner on piano, Jimmy Garrison on bass, and Elvin Jones on drums....incredible musicians. Here is a list of his best Impulse! releases....

Coltrane
    Ballads
    Live at the Village Vanguard
    A Love Supreme
    Live at Birdland
    The John Coltrane Quartet Plays
  • Options
    The Trane is awesome. Bought the Heavyweight Champion cd box set before Christmas. It is incredible.

What I didn't know is he lived right by me (well, before I was born) on Long Island and the house is a National Historic Place. Still haven't checked it out. Not sure if it's open for visitors, or someone owns it and it's just marked and protected.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    kjw818 wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

Yes, enough to name my daughter after one of his songs...''Naima''

Obviously his stuff with Miles is great, but check out his early 60's releases on Impulse! with his Classic Quartet. McCoy Tyner on piano, Jimmy Garrison on bass, and Elvin Jones on drums....incredible musicians. Here is a list of his best Impulse! releases....

Coltrane
    Ballads
    Live at the Village Vanguard
    A Love Supreme
    Live at Birdland
    The John Coltrane Quartet Plays

Wonderful name :D

Yes I have A Love Supreme and Live at Birdland

Thank you for the other recommendations
  • Options

Absolutely beautiful,it has the ability to just wash over me.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849
    any relation to roscoe p. coltrane ;):lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    any relation to roscoe p. coltrane ;):lol:

That's Co-train!
    :lol:
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Finally having replaced my worn out copy of "A Love Supreme" with an fine quality Impulse repressing, I sat down and listened to the whole thing (I know- why would anyone listen to only part of that album? :P ) and was YET AGAIN blown away by Trane and Company. At one point during the third movement, "Pursuance", I could literally feel to top of my scalp tingling. One of the all time great recordings.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Looking for a good biography of John Coltrane, I was recently led to the documentary, Chasing Trane: The John Coltrane Documentary”, a film by John Scheinfeld.  The DVD showed up in the mail amazingly fast and I watched it earlier today. 
    I had a certain amount of trepidation when I put it on to view it a few hours ago. I thought, "Oh man, will this be like all those Jimi Hendrix documentaries that I get hoping they will do the artist justice, only to be disappointed?"  But, no! This exceeded all my hopes and expectations! What a marvelous work this documentary is. It so very well does wonderful artistic justice to the great artist and human being that John Coltrane was. I've been a Trane fan for decades- ever since the first time I heard A Love Supreme back in the early 70's. Even having heard that and other Coltrane records many times over the years, seeing this film was a revelation. It took me even further into the work and the spirit of one of the greatest musicians of our time.
    This is a "must see" for Coltrane fans!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,401
    ^^^

Great documentary. It was on Netflix. May still be.
  • Options
    ^^^

Great documentary. It was on Netflix. May still be.

Cool! 

I'm still flipped out over this documentary.  So good!  I'm dying to share it with my wife be we had too much going on today.  Maybe tomorrow!

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    Jazz is great music to paint to, Jackson Pollock loved Jazz