Nirvana

13»

Comments

• redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    kramer73 said:
    Couldn't resist - I'm a sucker for the pretty colours... 
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    redraw said:
    kramer73 said:
    Couldn't resist - I'm a sucker for the pretty colours... 
    ....same here!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Re-listening to Bleach now. 

All those teenage years coming back flowing over me. Scary stuff. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Ordered the paramount vinyl as well.  
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    pre order at amazon up.  $26.25
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    mcgruff10 said:
    No orange vinyl though, right?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    No orange vinyl though, right?
    No sir.  I'm thinking that is exclusive to nirvana.com.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Nice talk about the YOU KNOW YOU'RE RIGHT recording:

https://youtu.be/SCqpRrOBIto
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    I appreciate them more now, back in the day I PICKED A SIDE, AND IT WAS PEARL JAM
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    The first time I saw the Foo Fighters in '97, they were playing a student rec centre at the University of British Columbia.  Dave Grohl was doing an interview with the local radio station before the show, and referenced a song they'd recorded, that was amazing, but he didn't think it would get released.    I was pretty stoked when you know you're right saw the light of day.

Back in the day, Nirvana was my gateway drug, but they brought me to Pearl Jam which eventually took over as my favourite band.   I played a lot of Nirvana back in the day, but eventually you can only spin the records to many times.  Without new songs, and only a few albums you take a break.   It's only been recently I've been finding myself enjoying Nirvana again.

I find radio is the same way.   Nirvana seems to get the least airplay out of the big Seattle four.

Funny thing is, I love the shit out of bleach.   I love the punk/rock super raw album.  
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    hrd2imgn said:
    I appreciate them more now, back in the day I PICKED A SIDE, AND IT WAS PEARL JAM
    I was all in on Nirvana.  They were getting better and better then it ended.  PJ was there to pick me up and embrace me w Vitalogy and No Code.

When I put on an album now I immerse in the whole thing.  No skips in songs.  Take me back to hitting play and going through the whole album.  It's a fun trip.  Trying to pick out a nuance that I had missed previously.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Zod said:
    The first time I saw the Foo Fighters in '97, they were playing a student rec centre at the University of British Columbia.  Dave Grohl was doing an interview with the local radio station before the show, and referenced a song they'd recorded, that was amazing, but he didn't think it would get released.    I was pretty stoked when you know you're right saw the light of day.

Back in the day, Nirvana was my gateway drug, but they brought me to Pearl Jam which eventually took over as my favourite band.   I played a lot of Nirvana back in the day, but eventually you can only spin the records to many times.  Without new songs, and only a few albums you take a break.   It's only been recently I've been finding myself enjoying Nirvana again.

I find radio is the same way.   Nirvana seems to get the least airplay out of the big Seattle four.

Funny thing is, I love the shit out of bleach.   I love the punk/rock super raw album.  
    and they have so many damn good singles that are radio friendly pop. 

I do sometimes think they didn't age well, though, maybe because of the association with the "scene". I don't listen to nirvana often, even though I loved the hell out of them at the time and after, but when I do, man it brings a rush of emotion. 

Pearl Jam was my first. 

(I'm sure I've told this already, maybe even in this thread) but the first time I heard Teen Spirit, it was in my buddy's basement, watching Power Hour on Much, and it came on. We literally all stopped what we were doing, gawked at the screen and thought a collective "what is THIS?". 

crazy i heard so much music on Much in video form before hearing it on the radio. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    The Live & Loud vinyl release (2019?) was phenomenal & put them back in my playlist. As others have mentioned, the lack of new music was why I stopped listening - not to mention how much the hits have been beaten to death. 

I have too many favorite tracks to mention, there are gems on every album. 

Favorite moment: I was lucky enough to catch them in Springfield, MA , in '93. I was 16 & dumb & happy to be on the rail even if it was to the side in front of the amplifiers, about 15-20' or so away from CN. My right ear rang for about 4 days straight, and I'm not convinced that night isn't why I have occasional ringing in that ear. 

They say Cobain only played SLTS when he was having a good night / enjoying himself... he played it that night. (It's also the show from which they took the recording of Sliver for Muddy Banks....) 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I think my first exposure to them was seeing SLTS on Beavis and Butthead. My buddy had cable and sometimes after school we'd watch it and chuckle at the stupidity.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    Just flipped through 'the journals' kurt cobain. I didn't dig too deep because I'm not sure he'd want everyone to be reading it. It seems way too personal. But is a cool peek inside a developing band trying to make it. So read it if you want. I couldn't.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    Loujoe said:
    Just flipped through 'the journals' kurt cobain. I didn't dig too deep because I'm not sure he'd want everyone to be reading it. It seems way too personal. But is a cool peek inside a developing band trying to make it. So read it if you want. I couldn't.
    This reminds me of watching the movie Frances Bean was involved in the making of (Montage of Heck maybe?)... I turned it off 1/4 or 1/3 of the way through, it felt too weird. (maybe it was just me, but I didn't enjoy it). 

Unrelated, to your post, but thread related... I realize this has been dormant for a couple of years... summer of '21 I answered a facebook ad someone posted in my community looking for a bassist to play Nevermind front to back the weekend of the 30th anniversary that September. It had been 10 or so years since I played, but wanting to get back into playing, I signed up.
    I put my back, arms & hands through hell getting back into playing shape & learning that album in 7 weeks, but I did it, and it's something I'm super f'ing proud of. (a year & a half later, those musicians and I are working towards our 4th gig next month..  nothing serious, just something for fun & to stay in playing shape). 

It also gave me a whole new appreciation for Nevermind & specifically Novoselic's work... He's overshadowed for (IMO) obvious reasons, but he did some great stuff on that album. In Bloom, Lithium, Stay Away & Lounge Act in particular are just phenomenally written songs. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Loujoe said:
    This reminds me of watching the movie Frances Bean was involved in the making of (Montage of Heck maybe?)... I turned it off 1/4 or 1/3 of the way through, it felt too weird. (maybe it was just me, but I didn't enjoy it). 

Unrelated, to your post, but thread related... I realize this has been dormant for a couple of years... summer of '21 I answered a facebook ad someone posted in my community looking for a bassist to play Nevermind front to back the weekend of the 30th anniversary that September. It had been 10 or so years since I played, but wanting to get back into playing, I signed up.
    I put my back, arms & hands through hell getting back into playing shape & learning that album in 7 weeks, but I did it, and it's something I'm super f'ing proud of. (a year & a half later, those musicians and I are working towards our 4th gig next month..  nothing serious, just something for fun & to stay in playing shape). 

It also gave me a whole new appreciation for Nevermind & specifically Novoselic's work... He's overshadowed for (IMO) obvious reasons, but he did some great stuff on that album. In Bloom, Lithium, Stay Away & Lounge Act in particular are just phenomenally written songs. 
    hello fellow bass player...
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    Yes. I have to find my way back to nirvana. Love in utero.
    So tragic that my heros killed themselves or at least were suicidal. I hope someday to find that this life really doesn't matter. Just a beautifully ugly, strange and perfectly sad place sometimes.

Ahhh hell I could use some sugar :)