Options

My ISP is driving me insane.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
edited March 2021 in All Encompassing Trip
My Hughes Net ISP is driving me crazy. I mean, literally driving me to unhealthy modes of distraction. We have tried and tried and tried to find an alternative ISP for our address and there are not other than Hughes Notworking. I'm paying three time what I paid before Internet 49 went out of business and the darned thing crashes on me regularly and often. Each time that happens, I call and talk to someone far, far away for a very long time on a line that if difficult for me to hear on and stresses my nerve damaged hearing. Each time I call, they tell me a different story about what the problem is. And then a few days later it goes down again. And around and around we go.

Since COVID hit, I opted to stop working with the public. At going on 70 and having a compromised immune system, working with the public is like playing Russian Roulette with live rounds. It's not worth risking my life to work with the public, especially knowing a certain percentage of the public is not following safe guidelines. Even now with finally getting the first vaccine, it's too much of a risk.

So that has left me with my little on-line book business and the small record selection I keep up after hours at The Bookery in town. And with my internet connection going down regularly and often, my last vestige of work is often a living hell. My business is my job, it gives me a sense of self worth, it's something I work very hard at and enjoy doing. It's the one think I take a little pride in. I can't do what I do without the internet. And now everyday I start the work day with the stress of wondering if I can do my job properly. This is craziness. I really sometimes feel like I am loosing my mind.

On top of that, our data runs out very fast so I had to stop paying for live streamed shows or any kind of video on-line, even short video.  Those were nice distractions I no longer enjoy.

Sorry for the rant. There's nothing anyone can do. I just have to try to keep it together. I can feel the stress eroding my brain and my health. This is not good.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    That sucks Brian. I understand your frustration though. My in-laws had Hughes Net and experienced a lot of the same problems as you. On top of the spotty service, the speeds were never as advertised. They were supposed to be getting around 5-7 Mbps, but when I ran a speed test, it was barely over 1 Mbps. Me being an IT guy means I'm their own personal help desk, but it's hard to explain that I can't control how fast the satellites transfer data.

Wish I could help you out. How is the cellphone service where you are? If it's good and reliable, I would at least look into seeing if any of the cellphone providers offer high speed internet. They might have an option that lets you get rid of Hughes Net.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited March 2021

The Leading Wireless High-Speed Internet. 
    For Rural & Traveling Nomads.

A fellow I follow on YouTube promotes this service...

might be worth looking into...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    That sucks Brian. I understand your frustration though. My in-laws had Hughes Net and experienced a lot of the same problems as you. On top of the spotty service, the speeds were never as advertised. They were supposed to be getting around 5-7 Mbps, but when I ran a speed test, it was barely over 1 Mbps. Me being an IT guy means I'm their own personal help desk, but it's hard to explain that I can't control how fast the satellites transfer data.

Wish I could help you out. How is the cellphone service where you are? If it's good and reliable, I would at least look into seeing if any of the cellphone providers offer high speed internet. They might have an option that lets you get rid of Hughes Net.
    Thanks, Mark.  I appreciate the thoughts!  Someone else mentioned using a cell phone as a hot spot.  I'll look into it.  Hughes was kind of deceiving with their pricing when they set us up.  Not out right lying, but what they said was confusing and we are paying more for worse service than led to believe.  Very frustrating!

Thanks!  I will check it out.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    brianlux said:

Thanks, Mark.  I appreciate the thoughts!  Someone else mentioned using a cell phone as a hot spot.  I'll look into it.  Hughes was kind of deceiving with their pricing when they set us up.  Not out right lying, but what they said was confusing and we are paying more for worse service than led to believe.  Very frustrating!

I didn't mean using your cellphone as a hotspot. A lot of the carriers will offer a home internet package similar to what @Meltdown99 posted. Some of the carriers will offer a little bit of a discount if you bundle both phone and internet services.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I didn't mean using your cellphone as a hotspot. A lot of the carriers will offer a home internet package similar to what @Meltdown99 posted. Some of the carriers will offer a little bit of a discount if you bundle both phone and internet services.

Ah, I see.  Problem is, the only internet service that covers our location is Hughes Notworking.  Someone elsewhere that (I think it was called) Star Link might be a possibility.  I'm not sure we can get that and I understand it is very expensive, but...

...well, I just looked it up.  Starlink is available here but whoa, might expensive.  Out of my league.  Damn internet!
    Old Man Yells at Cloud  Know Your Meme

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,769
    cell provider? phone service consistant?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,769
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14