So devastated over my broken banjo head could anyone help?

My beloved banjo fell out of my gig bag onto my driveway. If sounded like a piano falling from the 2nd floor. NIGHTMARE. This banjo means the world to me. It was autographed by a lot of my favorite musicians. (Everyone in PJ, except Stone) I’ve had this banjo since 2000. It was my first big purchase back then ($225 from a pawn shop in Chicago). Does anyone know anybody that could fix it? Everyone I asked told me it’s unfixable and to frame it. I live in LA and I go to Chicago often. Anybody please help:( Also, Ditch your gig bag. I’ll post in Musicians and GearHeads as well Thanks for your time.

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    I would take it to a few local shops for estimates before you call it done. Best of luck to you and your banjo---do you have ay pictures of the damage?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • The second picture with my finger pointing at the crack through Johnny Depp’s name. The tailpiece cracked the head. It’s basically like trying to fix a broken tambourine or drum head. I’ve tried everyone in LA. I’m going to Chicago in 3 weeks, maybe I’ll try there. Thank you for responding and be careful with gig bags if you use them
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    Other than taping it from the backside, I'm not aware of any other kind of fix for a banjo head.

Sorry about the situation though! That's really cool to have all of those signatures. 

I really hope you're able to preserve that head.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Thanks. Seems like I’m going to have to replace it. I’m hoping to find someone that could fix it maybe with a shrink wrap gun or a laser. I
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I’d replace and frame it. Not familiar with banjo construction but it doesn’t seem like you could sure it up adequately.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,149
    oh man sorry to hear this. i was super sad when i broke a headstock off of a les paul, but this banjo damage is a lot worse than that. hopefully you can find someone to fix it for you!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Thanks gimmesometruth. Sorry to hear about your headstock. I’ve contacted many shops, but no luck. I think I’m  going to have to replace it and frame the broken one.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,149
    Thanks gimmesometruth. Sorry to hear about your headstock. I’ve contacted many shops, but no luck. I think I’m  going to have to replace it and frame the broken one.
    thank you. it is not a big deal. you know the old saying, "a les paul is not a les paul until the headstock has been reglued." it plays way better now than it did before i broke it.

sorry to hear about the banjo. it is not ideal that they have to replace it, but in the end, you will definitely have an awesome piece to frame and hang on the wall.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 450
    Any news about your banjo getting repaired? 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    edited May 2021
    oh man sorry to hear this. i was super sad when i broke a headstock off of a les paul, but this banjo damage is a lot worse than that. hopefully you can find someone to fix it for you!
    Pathetic story from Bootlegger circa 1999.  Dropped my Les Paul Studio and cracked the headstock.  $300 for repair.  A year later the guitar falls over and bam! the headstock gets cracked again. $300 repair. So I'm $1,500 in on a $900 guitar.  The repair place did a nice job though.