Options

Missed out on a limited issue? Too bad, so sad, bubba.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
This is a MAJOR peeve of mine- bands and their record companies that put out limited issues of records that, if you can't respond fast enough to or don't hear about in time, too bad, so sad, take a hike bub. More and more, when I see this kind of thing happen (too late to Sweep it into Space? To the moon, Dino), I just am not inclined to wanting to support that kind of band any more. Who needs it? Artists that play that game don't need my support anyway because most of them have gotten too damn big for their own good. Screw it. There's plenty of other good music out there.

Ain't playing that game no more!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    Never bought Tegan and Saras Hearththrob. Now it's really expensive. Great album. Want it. But can't pay expensive bucks for it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    Sorry you are upset Brian...it looks like it's available for preorder on Zia records website if that's what you are looking for.
    Smart to get out of the game if it makes you mad. There's a lot of time wasted trying to get this stuff. Cool to own, but not sure why anymore?
    It's all pretty silly.
    Take care
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Sorry you are upset Brian...it looks like it's available for preorder on Zia records website if that's what you are looking for.
    Smart to get out of the game if it makes you mad. There's a lot of time wasted trying to get this stuff. Cool to own, but not sure why anymore?
    It's all pretty silly.
    Take care

Thanks, L.  To tell the truth, it's one of those "first world problems", haha.  I'm over it.  Also I'm told there may be other places that have some of the limited pressings but I always prefer to buy from the band's store and they are out.  I'll probably pick up the black vinyl when it comes out- no big deal.  It really should be about the music anyway.

I probably shouldn't have gotten my shorts in a knot over something not important anyway.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    I've been missing out on new Oh Sees albums because I am not on the mailing list anymore...  So I buy the black versions or I buy from the European store and pay extra on shipping.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,950
    Guys, follow r/vinylreleases. You literally only need to check 2 or 3 times a day to see if there is anything of interest that gets posted (and mainly in the morning because that’s when stuff gets announced).
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:
    It's all pretty silly.
    Take care

Thanks, L.  To tell the truth, it's one of those "first world problems", haha.  I'm over it.  Also I'm told there may be other places that have some of the limited pressings but I always prefer to buy from the band's store and they are out.  I'll probably pick up the black vinyl when it comes out- no big deal.  It really should be about the music anyway.

I probably shouldn't have gotten my shorts in a knot over something not important anyway.
    Hey Man. LE vinyl is very important!!!
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:
    It's all pretty silly.
    Take care

Hey Man. LE vinyl is very important!!!

Oh, for sure, it's cool.  But when I'm late to the party and the champagne is all gone, I'm good with a cold one. :smiley:

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,171
    Yah, I'm usually pretty good about scoring vinyl, but sometimes I overlook one, and it's costly to find it after.

I also get a bit bummer when exclusives are regional.  Indie,  Walmart, or Target exclusives that don't make it out of the US :(  Especially indie and Walmart as we have both Indie and Walmart stores in Canada, but the exclusives don't really make it up here.

Still.. I'm loving the current era of vinyl.  I've been collecting since the 90s and it was a real snail pace for the first 15 years I collected.   Being a big fan of 90s music, newer vinyl was hard to come by.    Now it's fast and furious, I've bought so much stuff I couldn't find in the 90s (and other eras). 

I also like the popularity level.  It's in this weird zone that it's able to support local record stores, but not quite enough to get big attention from big chains (aside from the annoying exclusives I just mentioned).  You either buy records online or go to your local indie store to find stuff.  It's pretty fun.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Yah, I'm usually pretty good about scoring vinyl, but sometimes I overlook one, and it's costly to find it after.

I also get a bit bummer when exclusives are regional.  Indie,  Walmart, or Target exclusives that don't make it out of the US :(  Especially indie and Walmart as we have both Indie and Walmart stores in Canada, but the exclusives don't really make it up here.

Still.. I'm loving the current era of vinyl.  I've been collecting since the 90s and it was a real snail pace for the first 15 years I collected.   Being a big fan of 90s music, newer vinyl was hard to come by.    Now it's fast and furious, I've bought so much stuff I couldn't find in the 90s (and other eras). 

I also like the popularity level.  It's in this weird zone that it's able to support local record stores, but not quite enough to get big attention from big chains (aside from the annoying exclusives I just mentioned).  You either buy records online or go to your local indie store to find stuff.  It's pretty fun.

It is fun to seek out good vinyl, for sure!

• Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,349
    brianlux,
     Is there something specific you're looking for? Let me know so I can keep my eyes peeled. 
  • Options
    brianlux,
     Is there something specific you're looking for? Let me know so I can keep my eyes peeled. 

Thank you Guy.  I mainly was unhappy with Dinosaur Jr's shop running out of their new LP before it is released.  That's never even come close to happening.  New world stuff.  I can get ti elsewhere- possibly even the limited edition- but at this point, I'll wait and see if the Dinosaur shop will carry the black vinyl.  I need to get over having limited edition stuff.  It's just not necessary these days.  It's a good lesson for me!

• Options
    Why not buy the indie store exclusive version? 

• Options

I've always like supporting a band's store.  But I am seriously considering an indie store.  Which one would you recommend? Bullmoose maybe?

• Options
    If you are in the US (They don't ship out of the country), definitely Bullmoose. 

IMO, indie stores need as much support as the artists do. Granted Bullmoose is a larger chain, but Indie nonetheless. 

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    brianlux said:

I've always like supporting a band's store.  But I am seriously considering an indie store.  Which one would you recommend? Bullmoose maybe?
    We Got the Beats record store in Ft Lauderdale, FL had come through time after time for me when my three local stores “didn’t get it from the distributor”. That’s usually what they say. From now on, when I want an indie release I’ll go through them. Plus they only charge $3 for shipping. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    Guys, follow r/vinylreleases. You literally only need to check 2 or 3 times a day to see if there is anything of interest that gets posted (and mainly in the morning because that’s when stuff gets announced).
    Is this Instagram?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Reddit

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    LukinFan said:
    brianlux said:

We Got the Beats record store in Ft Lauderdale, FL had come through time after time for me when my three local stores “didn’t get it from the distributor”. That’s usually what they say. From now on, when I want an indie release I’ll go through them. Plus they only charge $3 for shipping. 
    I’ve been there before.

If you’re in the market for 12” DJ cuts of spring break bangers from the late 70s through the mid 90s - they’re your hookup! 
  • Options
    If you are in the US (They don't ship out of the country), definitely Bullmoose. 

IMO, indie stores need as much support as the artists do. Granted Bullmoose is a larger chain, but Indie nonetheless. 

Thanks for the info, Tim!