Options

RIP: Pedro Gomez

The man came across as a real good person and was a Pro at his job. 

ESPN reporter Pedro Gomez has died at 58

By Christina Maxouris, CNN

Updated 11:05 AM ET, Mon February 8, 2021

(CNN)Longtime ESPN reporter Pedro Gomez died "unexpectedly" Sunday at the age of 58, according to a statement from ESPN and Sports Content Chairman James Pitaro.

"Pedro was an elite journalist at the highest level and his professional accomplishments are universally recognized," Pitaro said. "More importantly, Pedro was a kind, dear friend to us all."

A son of Cuban refugees, Gomez joined ESPN in 2003 from the Arizona Republic, where he was a sports columnist and national baseball writer for about six years, the network said in a news release Sunday.

Before that, he had also written for the Sacramento Bee, the San Jose Mercury News, the Miami Herald, the San Diego Union, and the Miami News.

Best known for his coverage of Major League Baseball, Gomez covered more than 25 World Series and 22 All-Star Games throughout his career, ESPN said.

He is survived by his wife, Sandra, as well as his two sons, Rio and Dante, and his daughter, Sierra, according to the network.

"Pedro was far more than a media personality. He was a Dad, loving husband, loyal friend, coach and mentor," Gomez's family said in a statement published by ESPN Front Row. "He was our everything and his kids' biggest believer."

The family added that Gomez died at home.

Following news of his passing, tributes poured into social media highlighting not only his professional excellence, but his kind spirit and glowing personality.

"Pedro Gomez was one of the nicest and warmest people I ever encountered during my time at ESPN," journalist Jemele Hill wrote on Twitter. "This is just brutal."

The Boston Red Sox tweeted their "hearts go out to the Gomez family, including Pedro Gomez's son, Rio, a pitcher in our minor league system."

"Pedro Gomez was one of the kindest and most genuine people you'd ever come across in our game," Alex Wood, a pitcher for the San Francisco Giants, wrote. "We were all better off for knowing him personally and professionally. My deepest condolences to his family. What a terrible loss for our baseball community."

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,222
    Damn, only 58.
    How terribly sad.
    RIP.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    Saw this last night after the Super Bowl.  He seemed like a really good dude.  Saw a story on Twitter that when he covered teams winning championships he would take some of the corks from the champagne bottles the players used to celebrate and give them out as gifts to fans he would meet along the way.  Saw a story on Twitter he gave one to a random woman in Murphy's after a Cubs game.  58 and sudden, very sad
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,458
    even tho he was a bonds hater, this is sad news.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16