Options

Crew (Rowing)

rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
edited March 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone row here? I've been rowing high school crew for a club for 3 years now. For someone who was never the big star of the basketball, soccer, baseball, football, etc., teams (let alone even able to handle a ball in those sports) I finally found a great sport that I can actually say I'm decent at. So does anyone else do crew here?
Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
Butthead: Huh huh.

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    edited December 2020
    Hi, I am sorry I am a little late to respond but I do row. At least I have for the past week. I bought a Hydrow rower recently and have really been enjoying the workouts so far. 

Does anyone else row? Can anyone provide @rhcpjam1029 and I any tips? 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    @rhcpjam1029, I rowed a cool 4,742 meters this morning. How about you?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Were you drinking when you responded to an 11 year old thread?
  • Options
    No I was just finishing a row. Do you row?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    This is the Hydrow I'm using. Hell of a piece of machinery. Tons interactive workouts. I love it so far. What are the rest of you rowing on (other than water)?

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I took up kayaking this year.  I do like that.  You do "row" but nothing like skulling.
  • Options
    I took up kayaking this year.  I do like that.  You do "row" but nothing like skulling.
    Yeah kayaking is fun. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,839
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    @rhcpjam1029  4,614 meters today. You?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,447
    rowing is one hell of a workout...I almost bought a Concept 1 (?) years ago....there’s supposed to be a great documentary about a rowing team that started at some inner city (NYC?) school.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    rowing is one hell of a workout...I almost bought a Concept 1 (?) years ago....there’s supposed to be a great documentary about a rowing team that started at some inner city (NYC?) school.
    Concept 2? Yeah, that is supposed to be one of the best ones out there and has been for years. Do you still row? They say it utilizes 86% of your body. 

Gotta check out that doc. @rhcpjam1029, do you know which documentary ol' @Wobbie is referring to?

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    As an avid RHCP fan I am more curious as to which RHCP Jam on 10/29 @rhcpjam1029 was referring to when he came up with his screen name? And yes back to rowing... my apologies for derailing the subject at hand. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,447
    A Most Beautiful Thing.

the Concept 2? We used to do 2500m(?) challenges at work and minutes seemed like hours. It is one hell of a workout..,arms, shoulders, legs, abdomen, etc.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    A Most Beautiful Thing.

the Concept 2? We used to do 2500m(?) challenges at work and minutes seemed like hours. It is one hell of a workout..,arms, shoulders, legs, abdomen, etc.
    Nice

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    @rhcpjam1029  4,540 meters this morning. Might jump on again later today/evening. How are you doing?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    @rhcpjam1029  4,540 meters this morning. Might jump on again later today/evening. How are you doing?
    Did we abandon the American Imperial way of counting?  Metric only now?

If I am correct that is almost 3 miles of rowing.  That is a nice long distance.  How long does that take, 20 minutes or so?
  • Options

If I am correct that is almost 3 miles of rowing.  That is a nice long distance.  How long does that take, 20 minutes or so?
    Did about 3,800 in 20 minutes, then the rest in a cool down row for 5.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Did about 3,800 in 20 minutes, then the rest in a cool down row for 5.

Very nice time.
  • Options
    5,698 meters this morning! Woo. Where my rowers at?!?! 

Come on @rhcpjam1029 --get with the program. Let's Go!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cracked 100,000 meters the other day. Where have you gone,  @rhcpjam1029 ? Our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you.

woo woo woo
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    A 9,300 meter 45 minute row pushed me over the 212,000 mark this afternoon.

@rhcpjam1029 , how many meters have you rowed recently? You goddamned slacker. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    A Most Beautiful Thing.

@wobbie I didn't realize you meant A Most Beautiful Thing was the name of that documentary. I just found it on amazon prime. Gonna watch that when I have the chance. Thanks
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    @rhcpjam1029 , I cracked 280,000 meters this morning. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,839
    He hasn't been active since Nov. Hope he's ok

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    He hasn't been active since Nov. Hope he's ok

Almost 6k today. Come on @rhcpjam1029, where you at?!?!??!

Dave, get rowing buddy! 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    @rhcpjam1029, approaching 310,000 meters...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,735
    This is the Hydrow I'm using. Hell of a piece of machinery. Tons interactive workouts. I love it so far. What are the rest of you rowing on (other than water)?

Hey Juggler, how are you liking this Hydrow?  I've been looking into this lately and am seriously considered getting one.  The only negative I can find is having to buy your own hear rate monitor....it seems kinda silly that it's not compatible with Apple Watch for that purpose.  
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Hey Juggler, how are you liking this Hydrow?  I've been looking into this lately and am seriously considered getting one.  The only negative I can find is having to buy your own hear rate monitor....it seems kinda silly that it's not compatible with Apple Watch for that purpose.  
    Prior to throwing my back out a month or so ago (not from this) I was using it about 5 days a week since I got it in December. Hoping to get back to that schedule real soon.

I absolutely love it and highly recommend it. The instructors are all great. They might talk a little too much but that is a minor gripe. A lot of different kinds of rows you can do. There are live classes a few times a week as well. I've actually only done one live row and that was for when I reached 100k meters. They give you a shout out if you're reaching a milestone. Kinda cool I guess. You have a leaderboard which you can filter by age and gender. 

Every row has a time limit on it. So you cannot just get on and row a certain amount of meters, which some people do not like. You have to choose either a class or a "journey" row, which is just you out on the water by yourself for certain amount of time. So for the people who just want to row a certain amount of meters, they would just do a journey. 

The machine itself is flawless. It is built really well. The seat moves so effortlessly. And it really doesn't make a lot of noise. Just this "wooshing" sound. I do have to shut it down for like 30 seconds prior to using it to get the updates. That's a little annoying. 

Yeah there is no heart rate monitor. I don't really care about that though. I have it on my garmin watch but don't really pay much attention to it anyway. Hydrow keeps track of all your stats---one thing I want them to change, though, is to allow us a way to sort our statistics. Currently its just in the order you did a row. If we could filter them somehow, that would be better. The good news is that the company is still growing and they listen to everyone's suggestions and making incremental changes. Customer service is amazing. The app is cool. There are a couple extremely helpful and active Hydrow facebook groups where people offer advice and encouragement and stuff. It's a pretty cool little community. 

And tt's just a great workout. I never was much of a rower before but I got it because I didn't want to go to the gym during the pandemic and this works like 86% of your body. 

So to sum up, yes you absolutely should get the Hydrow! Then lets exchange usernames and race each other. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,735
    Thanks for the info!  We've been debating between a Peloton and Hydrow and are leaning towards the Hydrow....I love that it's more of a full body workout than the Peloton.  Looks like it's about a 5 week wait for Hydrow right now.  I'll let you know my username if we end up getting one....
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!  We've been debating between a Peloton and Hydrow and are leaning towards the Hydrow....I love that it's more of a full body workout than the Peloton.  Looks like it's about a 5 week wait for Hydrow right now.  I'll let you know my username if we end up getting one....
    For what it's worth, there seems to be a lot of people in that Hydrow facebook group who also have Pelotons. A lot of them say they prefer Hydrow's more laid back instructors and the fact that it's not filmed in a studio. I would actually search that facebook group out and do more research there. I see a lot of people do that and ask questions before buying.

Also, if you want the Hydrow faster, order it through Best Buy. I ordered mine directly through Hydrow and they said it was a 6 week wait. Then looked at Best Buy and their wait was only a week or so. So just cancelled through Hydrow and went that route......that's how I know their customer service is good! They handled that transaction perfectly. 
    chinese-happy.jpg