New album in the works?

Comments

• JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    drfox said:
    I would quite like a new EV solo album (like Into the Wild!). He can then tour that in 2023 when the Gigaton tour has been completed. He has loads of songs he could put on there 
    He‘s working on an album with Glen Hansard. I read it’s a soundtrack for a Sean Penn movie again.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    edited January 2021
    In my opinion, Gigaton is mostly a forgotten record already...and it will continue to fade from conciousness as there won't be live shows or any promotion for atleast another year. 

When being performed live can you imagine anyone getting excited for superblood wolfmoon, buckle up, never destination, etc?  I just think the songs will be met with indifference and a formality to get to the mainstays. Maybe I just wanted more than a couple good songs after seven years.
    Post edited by evenflow82 on
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • AT302834AT302834 San Diego Posts: 39
    If touring is not to resume until fall 2021 or the following year, I hope they convene and put another album together. Even if they sit on it, it would be great to have one in the can ready to go.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    In my opinion, Gigaton is mostly a forgotten record already...and it will continue to fade from conciousness as there won't be live shows or any promotion for atleast another year. 

When being performed live can you imagine anyone getting excited for superblood wolfmoon, buckle up, never destination, etc?  I just think the songs will be met with indifference and a formality to get to the mainstays. Maybe I just wanted more than a couple good songs after seven years.
    the general consensus i've seen is that is a great record; their best in years. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I'd be happy with a 4-5 song EP. 

Bash it out. Live takes. 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865

I mean, lets let them play the songs live first before we decide no one wants to hear them anymore.

I mean, lets let them play the songs live first before we decide no one wants to hear them anymore.
    no kidding. lol
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    edited January 2021
    FR181798 said:
    Dont think it would be wise to release another album until they can actually go out on the road with it. The cycle for Gigaton is far from done.
    This is my take, as Gigaton is their best album in a long time and I hope they take advantage of it and show that to more people.

That being said, I hope they to get a ton of songs coming down the pipe so that they can surprise release another one mid-tour without much hassle. If it wasn't obvious during the last gap, because of the new priorities that come with their age and time-consuming endeavors outside of PJ, it's harder than ever for them to make a new record in normal times. For that reason, I hope as a fan that they take advantage of these unprecedented times!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    Even Bros hate is strong for Gigaton. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,147

A couple? Try 12
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,147
    Or instead of a new album. Release a deluxe edition with bonus tracks
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    EXCELLENT IDEA
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• MKSNYCMKSNYC NYC Posts: 323
    if there is I hope they call it Gigaton 2: Electric Boogaloo :tongue:
    Good one!  Is that Breakin’ News?
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited January 2021
    igotid88 said:

Demos of those songs?

Crazy idea alert: They could use their mixing boards, speed things up a bit, do re-recording as necessary and add crowd noise to give us a tease of what they'd sound like live.

Based on "Can't Deny Me" and that album being teased, they definitely have more stuff in the can. If they're like other bands, they probably keep ideas and riffs for years, possibly even decades. Look at "Hard To Imagine" as an example.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    edited January 2021
    igotid88 said:

Yes please!
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • densandensan Posts: 563
    Music is like a relationship with someone. The way it starts and evolves is entirely dependent upon time. Too early to tell if you are in love or in like, etc. Give it a few. Like a relationship if you move too quickly, there is a chance that you will never fully understand or appreciate what you have/had. Fan since 91 and married 30 years. I assure you it is worth hanging around to see what evolves. 
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    densan said:
    Music is like a relationship with someone. The way it starts and evolves is entirely dependent upon time. Too early to tell if you are in love or in like, etc. Give it a few. Like a relationship if you move too quickly, there is a chance that you will never fully understand or appreciate what you have/had.
    Sage words! :plus_one:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    demetrios said:
    igotid88 said:

Yes please!
    No deluxe. I don't want to buy a 1 year old album again. Just release an ep or lp of the other stuff
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    NewJPage said:
    demetrios said:
    igotid88 said:

Yes please!
    No deluxe. I don't want to buy a 1 year old album again. Just release an ep or lp of the other stuff
    bands often release a "tour edition". I don't mind buying those. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 'Get It Back' was originally intended for their next album, but Matt insisted it be released earlier.  With the in-house studio at their headquarters, plus the working methods they developed making Gigaton, it is highly plausible they can create under these unique set of circumstances.  Some of the guys already got together in pairs to make music.  

There is also the possibility of finishing songs held over from a couple years back, if they felt so inclined.  Here is an excerpt from a Spin magazine article last year.

"Though 12 songs ultimately comprise Gigaton, there were a bunch of other tunes, though, at different stages, that weren’t completed during the sessions."

But who knows.  After all, this is the same band that thought they were just writing and demoing for over two years until they realized, about a month before it was finished, they had been recording the material that comprises Gigaton all along!

'Get It Back' was originally intended for their next album, but Matt insisted it be released earlier.  With the in-house studio at their headquarters, plus the working methods they developed making Gigaton, it is highly plausible they can create under these unique set of circumstances.  Some of the guys already got together in pairs to make music.  

There is also the possibility of finishing songs held over from a couple years back, if they felt so inclined.  Here is an excerpt from a Spin magazine article last year.

"Though 12 songs ultimately comprise Gigaton, there were a bunch of other tunes, though, at different stages, that weren’t completed during the sessions."

But who knows.  After all, this is the same band that thought they were just writing and demoing for over two years until they realized, about a month before it was finished, they had been recording the material that comprises Gigaton all along!

where did you hear/read this?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
    edited January 2021

'Get It Back' was originally intended for their next album, but Matt insisted it be released earlier.  With the in-house studio at their headquarters, plus the working methods they developed making Gigaton, it is highly plausible they can create under these unique set of circumstances.  Some of the guys already got together in pairs to make music.  

I heard this on the Strombo Apple Music radio interview with Stone Gossard back in October.  Stone discusses the song right after it is played on the show at about the 2h 37m mark.

https://music.apple.com/us/station/10-22-20-stone-gossard-pearl-jam/ra.1536037587

Post edited by pleatherman on
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    igotid88 said:
    nothing more of  a money grab than releasing a deluxe version of something you just released.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

I heard this on the Strombo Apple Music radio interview with Stone Gossard back in October.  Stone discusses the song right after it is played on the show at about the 2h 37m mark.

https://music.apple.com/us/station/10-22-20-stone-gossard-pearl-jam/ra.1536037587

Still ISO an audio download of that special as I don't do Apple. 
  • mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,158
    Quick Escape is too good to can because of the Trump reference.  The song is going to be a killer live.  An easy fix would be to change the lyric to "to find a place that hadn't been fucked up yet"...  Personally, I wish that was the lyric anyway.  

Or "a place we hadn't fucked up yet", that's more accurate anyway. Trump isn't the root of all of our problems, the problems won't go away just because he's out of office. We all need to accept the responsibility and not just blame the other side.
    mattcoz said:
    Quick Escape is too good to can because of the Trump reference.  The song is going to be a killer live.  An easy fix would be to change the lyric to "to find a place that hadn't been fucked up yet"...  Personally, I wish that was the lyric anyway.  

Or "a place we hadn't fucked up yet", that's more accurate anyway. Trump isn't the root of all of our problems, the problems won't go away just because he's out of office. We all need to accept the responsibility and not just blame the other side.
    Honestly, i've been singing "we" this whole time. i never heard the word trump there before. i thought ed was saying we. i agree 100%. the world was FUBAR way before trump was anywhere near washington. 

but honestly, this isn't bushleaguer. if ed wants to leave it as is, that's one minor mention in one song. no biggie to me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,158
    mattcoz said:

Honestly, i've been singing "we" this whole time. i never heard the word trump there before. i thought ed was saying we. i agree 100%. the world was FUBAR way before trump was anywhere near washington. 

but honestly, this isn't bushleaguer. if ed wants to leave it as is, that's one minor mention in one song. no biggie to me. 
    True, great song either way.

• CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 361
    demetrios said:

Still ISO an audio download of that special as I don't do Apple. 
    For all D does for this board. Please hook this brother up. I am also on the anti-apple train so no access for me either 
    I have apple music. i'd be more than happy to help you guys out. especially demetrios; he's helped me out a ton, like you said. can i download podcasts with an apple music account? or do i have to rip it somehow?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I have apple music. i'd be more than happy to help you guys out. especially demetrios; he's helped me out a ton, like you said. can i download podcasts with an apple music account? or do i have to rip it somehow?

You would need a sound recorder app, like Audacity. Can't seem to find this recording outside of Apple Music.

He has this https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-241-the-strombo-show ..Wish it was available there.