Jacksonville 2016

This show was almost 5 years ago and that doesn’t feel real, but here we are. Jacksonville is the subject of today’s episode as we get to run down the set and talk about a show with a bunch of rare cuts sprinkled in like Army Reserve, Rival, Ghost, Glorified G which was probably used as a practice run for the Greenville set and Of The Earth which could be the best performance out of this show. Listen to the episode, the stories our guest gets to tell and let us know what moment you enjoyed from this:
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• BC62528BC62528 Posts: 199
    edited January 2021
    Let's not forget the "Greek Ghost"...I was at the show, I thought it was great.  Nice shout out to Dmitri during the song.  I was somewhat surprised at the audience being a bit tame and lacking energy outside of the pit in my opinion.  The other memory was a unique setlist as you mentioned above and also some empty seats.  Being that I'm from CT - the Northeast shows tend to be high energy and are always sold out - I don't believe this show was.  Regardless, I had a great time and I actually think this poster is pretty unique and looks great in person - I don't think it got as much love as some of the other prints from 2016 at the time.
    Post edited by BC62528 on
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,034
    Totally agree on the show and poster!

I was in the pit right in front of Ed. Loved the energy in the pit and is actually one of my favorite show experiences. The Evolution into Betterman was fantastic.

Could not believe my luck in getting Rival and Of the Earth.
  • JE224127JE224127 Fairhope, AL Posts: 297

Fun show, my 9th and I took a first timer. Living in Alabama, we don’t get a lot of shows in somewhat driving distance (6 hours) so this was an easy go. I scored GA and we drove over the day of the show. We ate and casually made our way over to the arena. I had seen the poster ahead of time and figured that I could get the poster from 10C so didn’t fool with the lines. We went in about 20-30 minutes before the show started and got really close on Stone’s side. As we were walking up, I found an EV Batmobile pick just sitting right there on the arena floor-pretty cool! Highlights for me were Rival, I Wont Back Down (tribute to Tom Petty who was born in Gainesville, FL), Ghost (I had read the message boards and knew the Greek was chasing this one. He was right behind me and jumping around like a maniac-rightfully so!!!). I had head Of the Earth at Deluna in Pensacola in 2012 but it was still good to hear. Army Reserve was a shout out to a high-ranking official in the forces, John McDonough who was present at the show and spotlighted. Oddly enough when I took my wife to New Orleans and Jazzfest in 2010, they had John McDonough and some of his troop livestreamed from the middle east. I didn’t convert my friend to a PJ lifer but that was not my intent…..any PJ show is a great show. I ended up going to New Orleans and both Wrigley shows in 2016, all four have their own special moments.

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    Fun show - my favorite out of my 20 shows! At the time I didn't live in Jacksonville, but now I call it home. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    BC62528 said:
    Let's not forget the "Greek Ghost"...I was at the show, I thought it was great.  Nice shout out to Dmitri during the song.  I was somewhat surprised at the audience being a bit tame and lacking energy outside of the pit in my opinion.  The other memory was a unique setlist as you mentioned above and also some empty seats.  Being that I'm from CT - the Northeast shows tend to be high energy and are always sold out - I don't believe this show was.  Regardless, I had a great time and I actually think this poster is pretty unique and looks great in person - I don't think it got as much love as some of the other prints from 2016 at the time.

I suspect that's why the southern USA doesn't get much love. They moved a lot of people from the seats at those shows to the pit. The pit didn't sell as well as had hoped.

The other crazy memory about that...people put in NYC/Philly shows as their first 2-3 picks and southern shows as later picks.

They all bitched when they went 1/8 and others went 5/7 or 5/9. Of course, people who got 4-5 shows put various Florida shows as picks 1-4.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,034
     I spend a lot of time at nearby Amelia Island (near to Jacksonville), so this was like a second home show!

So much fun.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    I don't remember too many open seats, but for a Wednesday night show, I thought the crowd was pretty good. I had a blast.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1