New album in the works?

I would like to think current events might be galvanizing this powerful group of 5 to write AND record.  This is like no other time in history and this is like no other band.  Nobody owes us but I would love to hear their collective voices express and reflect

Comments

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Well, we know Stone is pretty active right now with Painted Shield.  Matt might be working on his solo album or his group with Taylor Hawkins.  I'm sure Jeff is doing something, and Mike as well. 

As far as working together...they were pretty sneaky with Gigaton, so it's a possibility!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    if there is I hope they call it Gigaton 2: Electric Boogaloo :tongue:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 782
    The world just needs Pearl Jam more than ever before- consider this the PJ bat symbol in the sky..
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I'm not sure how Covid19 impacts the creative space.

There was that interview with Stone not long ago that says he has lots of idea, but Ed's creative process generally requires him to be in the same space.  He needs to hear them and run with the ones he likes.  

I hope they're recording, but inability to be in the same space could make that challenging?
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Would love a new album but Gigaton is perfect for the times
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,051
    I always thought they may have a follow up in the pipeline. Just the way they have half of a heart on the spine of the album. Looks like it’s the first of two albums.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Would love a new album but Gigaton is perfect for the times

www.cluthelee.com
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited January 2021
    kramer73 said:
    Well, we know Stone is pretty active right now with Painted Shield.  Matt might be working on his solo album or his group with Taylor Hawkins.  I'm sure Jeff is doing something, and Mike as well. 

As far as working together...they were pretty sneaky with Gigaton, so it's a possibility!

I disagree with Gigaton being sneaky. At Fenway 2018, Eddie said the next time they'd be together would be in the studio. That was after Can't Deny Me and the email that said it was off an "upcoming release."

Yes, they obviously hit the reset button, but a lot of people were expecting something in the middle of 2018. In the middle of 2019, we started to hear rumblings of "the new album is done" as some other fans weren't believing those very believable rumors. Some fans were "feeling a small tour in 2020, maybe similar to Home Away" while the rest of us all but knew what was planned.

Timeline:
    Early 2018: Can't Deny Me is released and the band teases "the upcoming album."

September 2018: Eddie says the next time the band will be together will be in the studio.

2019??: Jeff (I think) goes on the "record" and says they're kicking around ideas.

Later in 2019: Very believable rumors about the new album being done. Some people choose not to believe the rumors and "are feeling" a very small tour.

Early 2020: Gigaton is released.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    while i'd love new music i want them to kick gigaton out live. this record needs to be fleshed out in front of fans. and i can't fucking wait until the tour is rescheduled. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    edited January 2021
    Take this however you want, but I read on the steve hoffman music forums that the band recorded enough material for another album and have it in the can and it can be released whenever they desire.

Again, could be nonsense but the people on that board are music nuts, know their stuff and are pretty careful about what they post. 
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    Take this however you want, but I read on the steve hoffman music forums that the band recorded enough material for another album and have it in the can and it can be released whenever they desire.

Again, could be nonsense but the people on that board are music nuts, know their stuff and are pretty careful about what they post. 
    :heart:
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    I want them to promote Gigaton. A lot of people are missing out on a great album. 
    I miss igotid88
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Dont think it would be wise to release another album until they can actually go out on the road with it. The cycle for Gigaton is far from done.
  • FR181798 said:
    Dont think it would be wise to release another album until they can actually go out on the road with it. The cycle for Gigaton is far from done.
    Yeah, that.

Also, that it took them 7 years to come up with an album they were happy with does not auger well for a speedy follow up. As Stone said in whatever interview it was a month or so ago, they’re getting older and slowing down. Let’s have a proper Gigaton tour before worrying about what’s next.
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    Give Gigaton 2-3 years or 50-75 shows then look at releasing Gigaton II lost humans.  I don’t want to wait 7 years for the next album but Gigaton needs its moment in the sun. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    Due to the Trumpian nature of Seven O'Clock and Quick Escape, those two could be tossed, the way that Bu$hleaguer was. I'm 50/50 on River Cross.

Whenever the tour is, we're not gonna get as many b-sides and rarities like we did in 2016 and 2018. Those songs will essentially be replaced by new stuff.

I don't see why they couldn't release this other album and tour off both, especially if shows continue to be over 28 songs long and maybe even closer to 33-35.

But, OTOH, a later release would help guarantee another tour. To release them both now, you're essentially combining tours.

But, also... we've heard this before. Remember the Backspacer II that was supposed to be the "quick follow-up" in 2011 or so? Whoopsies.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    Due to the Trumpian nature of Seven O'Clock and Quick Escape, those two could be tossed, the way that Bu$hleaguer was. I'm 50/50 on River Cross.

Whenever the tour is, we're not gonna get as many b-sides and rarities like we did in 2016 and 2018. Those songs will essentially be replaced by new stuff.

I don't see why they couldn't release this other album and tour off both, especially if shows continue to be over 28 songs long and maybe even closer to 33-35.

But, OTOH, a later release would help guarantee another tour. To release them both now, you're essentially combining tours.

But, also... we've heard this before. Remember the Backspacer II that was supposed to be the "quick follow-up" in 2011 or so? Whoopsies.
    He could change the lyrics. Something like "You had sitting bullshit as a sitting president 
    I miss igotid88
  • raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    Dont' think so but I hope so.
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 492
    1. it took almost 10 years between LB and Gigaton. you really think we'll get another album any time soon? ha!
    2. they could all get covid tested and practice together if they wanted. they obviously have other things they'd rather do. they won't even get together to do a streaming show, they just offer past shows for people to watch

First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    edited January 2021
    1. it took almost 10 years between LB and Gigaton. you really think we'll get another album any time soon? ha!
    2. they could all get covid tested and practice together if they wanted. they obviously have other things they'd rather do. they won't even get together to do a streaming show, they just offer past shows for people to watch

I think the unexpected downtime could have some kind of unforseen impact.  It could alter course and redirect some of the free time not used on touring to make new music.

I'm not sure if it's as easy as getting  covid test.  They all have families.   Different bubbles they live in.   You'd have to get tested, then isolate yourself after the test, then go to do the thing.   It also takes a while to make an album, so you have to rinse/repeat every time you want to meet up?  I think that's easier said that done. 

It seems a little counter-intuitive to where I live, and the task right now is not to visit or spend time with anyone outside of your immediate household.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

They should be the model for controlling your own world. They do not have to do anything they don’t want to (for the most part).
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited January 2021
    As their kids get older they may have more time to spend on the band at some point if so inclined.  Perhaps only one or two of the band at this point is keeping more from being done.  

It seems like Stone and Mike could make a PJ record every two years and be fine with it.  Not sure on the other three.
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    bring it on
    danny d
  • colors blendcolors blend Posts: 195
    edited January 2021
    Quick Escape is too good to can because of the Trump reference.  The song is going to be a killer live.  An easy fix would be to change the lyric to "to find a place that hadn't been fucked up yet"...  Personally, I wish that was the lyric anyway.  
    Post edited by colors blend on
    you're god and you've got big hands
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Ed's in Hawaii per social media, so they aren't likely getting together any time soon.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Given all that's gone on in the end of the trump era, i don't see any reason for the band to change any lyrics or dump any songs at all. it will all be relevant for some time to come. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 335
    I don't think there will be a new album anytime soon after reading all the interviews since Gigaton came out, it sounds like the band is on Ed's time and as much as they want to write and record it seems to only happen when he wants to do it, that and Gigaton took 7 years, so I'd expect more solo/side projects over the next few years. We know they have enough songs for Lost Dogs 2, especially after recording for Gigaton, but we'll most likely get more merch as opposed to new music... hopefully once they start touring again there will be more music, but anything's possible with this band, personally I'd be happy with an Of the Earth single/EP similar to Merkinball, but we'll most likely get a limited edition Target release of Vs on orange vinyl and the next vault release before anything else
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
    I'm CSN or CSNY played Ohio years after
    I miss igotid88
    i honestly can't imagine why anyone would want a new album. that would essentially cancel this album out of rotation. it's a fantastic album. I don't want it to be the "forgotten record". there will be a tour in support. maybe this time off will allow them to have music ready to go earlier than a 7 year wait next time. who knows. or maybe they'll do like the old days and try some unreleased stuff out live. that would be epic. or as my wave said, maybe when the tour is under way, they release a gigaton single with a few unreleased tracks as a tour EP or something. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,051
    I would quite like a new EV solo album (like Into the Wild!). He can then tour that in 2023 when the Gigaton tour has been completed. He has loads of songs he could put on there