White Privilege

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    he's awesome. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I've gotta remember to leave my phone downstairs when I have my late-night attic toke sessions.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • I guarantee he gets knocked the fuck out within a week.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,396
    I guarantee he gets knocked the fuck out within a week.

You're probably right which is unfortunate, because he really hits the nail on the head. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    I guarantee he gets knocked the fuck out within a week.

Being right has some risks, these days.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Last time I checked BLM protesters didn’t kill cops, some patriots these MAGA idiots are! 
    The problem with this statement is there is no official membership for BLM. Most of BLM protesters weren’t violent. But many who were violent were using the BLM slogan. Cops have been killed as part of an anti-police protest. So it’s easy to say “well that’s not BLM” because there is no official BLM membership or status. But there’s been violence and deaths of cops during the summer riots.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    I'm beginning to wonder if this was a coup?  Maybe we all got our emotions played with on this?

Divide us up even more?  Black helicopter talk?  Tin Foil hat?
    The lack of preparation in advance, Trump's inaction in the heat of the moment, the DOD's 90 minute delay in allowing MD to send backup*, the Capitol Police taking selfies w/ the insurrectionists after clashing... there's a lot of questions that need answering here. 

There were guys who stormed the building w/ zip ties & more, they were looking to take hostages. This was not a peaceful protest that went bad. 

* If you haven't watched Larry Hogan's press conference from yesterday, I recommend you do. 
    So here is something else I am noticing.  there were THOUSANDS of people there marching.  We are, and rightfully so, focusing on the chaos that ensued in the Capitol.
    Isn't this what the media focused on during the BLM rallies?  Only the chaos?

That is why I say we are being played.

Are you suggesting this was a false flag? 

If so, that's a bridge too far for me. 
    No no.  The media is definitely not showing how the other 95% behaved.

The Vice President of the United States and our entire Congress was one shattered window away from being attacked, maybe killed, maybe held hostage by a mob.

Yes, the media should have turned their cameras to the picnics on the lawn, the ones being held next to the noose they erected. 

I just can't believe we're having a debate about this. 
    how are we being played if the media shows us the carnage? that's literally what is so newsworthy about it. does sportscentre show all the 2 yard running plays in mid field? no, they show the touchdowns and interceptions. 

when someone kills their spouse, the interviewer doesn't go report on a good marriage down the street. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

how are we being played if the media shows us the carnage? that's literally what is so newsworthy about it. does sportscentre show all the 2 yard running plays in mid field? no, they show the touchdowns and interceptions. 

when someone kills their spouse, the interviewer doesn't go report on a good marriage down the street. 
    I agree with you. But I think the message is it makes it look like that’s what everyone is doing when in reality thousands are just gathered outside doing nothing. But who cares about the crowd standing there doing nothing, or just chanting or yelling or making signs, whatever. Let us know more about the people breaking into the Capitol, even if it wasn’t a majority.
    mace1229 said:

I agree with you. But I think the message is it makes it look like that’s what everyone is doing when in reality thousands are just gathered outside doing nothing. But who cares about the crowd standing there doing nothing, or just chanting or yelling or making signs, whatever. Let us know more about the people breaking into the Capitol, even if it wasn’t a majority.
    And most people with an IQ can tell that it was only a hundred or two out of the thousands that were there creating the carnage. i don't need the media to spoon feed every single minute detail like I'm 2. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mace1229 said:

There was a lot of coverage of the crowds outside - hours of it, from what I could tell, particularly as the afternoon wore on and the time to the curfew counted down. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mace1229 said:

You mean like the BLM protests, where everyone present was involved in the mayhem? Isn’t that all we heard from not only the media but the elected repub officials?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mace1229 said:

There was a lot of coverage of the crowds outside - hours of it, from what I could tell, particularly as the afternoon wore on and the time to the curfew counted down. 
    Not surprising. For one the crowds outside lasted much longer than the breach into the Capitol. By the time I got home from work it was already all over. I never saw anything live. The highlights and the entire focus since has only showed the breach, which is to be expected.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    I live in a DC suburb. My local government reported in the late afternoon that they would be sending law enforcement into the city to help. The Scanner Bums Facebook page I follow shared the announcement. Aside from a few prayers offered up, all of the commenters (law and order types, Trump voters) rejected the idea that we should help protect our Capitol, in appalling language. These people have one allegiance only, to their white supremacist cult leader, whether they marauded inside or loitered outside or watched from 20 miles away. It makes no difference. And yes, there was plenty of coverage of the entire crowd. I was watching it locally, and the people interviewed on the perimeters were as frothed up as the folks on the Capitol steps. It was sickening.

I have a student who told me the next morning that both her aunt and her uncle are DC police officers, called to duty the night before. It terrified this child, along with all the others telling me how scared they were because it was so close to home. I have many, many students who immigrated here from the "shithole countries" and they can't believe what they saw happen, after four years of being beaten down spiritually and psychically by our so-called president in their new home. One student reminded me of the Muslim ban -- remember that one? -- because to this day he still has family members who can't get here and he can't visit them, if he'd like to come back.

TRUMP and HIS SUPPORTERS have done this to our country. HIS MILITIAS turned our cities into war zones, not BLM. Trump declared war on people of color the day he took office. He has declared over and over, "I've got the bikers. I've got law enforcement. I've got the military." He has been preparing himself and his people for this week especially right from the start. 

Quit blaming black people for white people problems.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Not surprising. For one the crowds outside lasted much longer than the breach into the Capitol. By the time I got home from work it was already all over. I never saw anything live. The highlights and the entire focus since has only showed the breach, which is to be expected.
    So what is it - they didn’t give any coverage to the crowd outside, or they did and it’s not surprising that they did? Your argument lacks consistency. Among other things. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I live in a DC suburb. My local government reported in the late afternoon that they would be sending law enforcement into the city to help. The Scanner Bums Facebook page I follow shared the announcement. Aside from a few prayers offered up, all of the commenters (law and order types, Trump voters) rejected the idea that we should help protect our Capitol, in appalling language. These people have one allegiance only, to their white supremacist cult leader, whether they marauded inside or loitered outside or watched from 20 miles away. It makes no difference. And yes, there was plenty of coverage of the entire crowd. I was watching it locally, and the people interviewed on the perimeters were as frothed up as the folks on the Capitol steps. It was sickening.

I have a student who told me the next morning that both her aunt and her uncle are DC police officers, called to duty the night before. It terrified this child, along with all the others telling me how scared they were because it was so close to home. I have many, many students who immigrated here from the "shithole countries" and they can't believe what they saw happen, after four years of being beaten down spiritually and psychically by our so-called president in their new home. One student reminded me of the Muslim ban -- remember that one? -- because to this day he still has family members who can't get here and he can't visit them, if he'd like to come back.

TRUMP and HIS SUPPORTERS have done this to our country. HIS MILITIAS turned our cities into war zones, not BLM. Trump declared war on people of color the day he took office. He has declared over and over, "I've got the bikers. I've got law enforcement. I've got the military." He has been preparing himself and his people for this week especially right from the start. 

BAM!!!

Well said. 
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,336
    mace1229 said:
    Last time I checked BLM protesters didn’t kill cops, some patriots these MAGA idiots are! 
    The problem with this statement is there is no official membership for BLM. Most of BLM protesters weren’t violent. But many who were violent were using the BLM slogan. Cops have been killed as part of an anti-police protest. So it’s easy to say “well that’s not BLM” because there is no official BLM membership or status. But there’s been violence and deaths of cops during the summer riots.
    Generally speaking, BLM movements are peaceful protests. Those white domestic terrorists on Wednesday afternoon aren't protestors; they're terrorists plain and simple. 

It's amazing how the law enforcement in the Capitol Building were able to exercise restraint as they were drastically outnumbered. If that was a BLM event, the carnage would have been catastrophic.

If anyone denies the above hypothesis, you likely also deny the existence of systemic racism and white privilege too. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Yep you get it.  The same few folks here (and many more outside here) keep playing the old time and denying.
    edited January 2021
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

So what is it - they didn’t give any coverage to the crowd outside, or they did and it’s not surprising that they did? Your argument lacks consistency. Among other things. 
    I didn’t argue anything. Someone else posted the media was misleading or something song those lines. Someone else asked what that meant. Having no answer I took my best guess as to what the other guy probably meant. I even said as much, that it was my guess what they probably meant. I never stood behind any of it or said I agreed.
    Not sure what you’re getting at here. Go argue with the guy who made the claim about the media. That wasn’t me.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    BF89905 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Generally speaking, BLM movements are peaceful protests. Those white domestic terrorists on Wednesday afternoon aren't protestors; they're terrorists plain and simple. 

It's amazing how the law enforcement in the Capitol Building were able to exercise restraint as they were drastically outnumbered. If that was a BLM event, the carnage would have been catastrophic.

If anyone denies the above hypothesis, you likely also deny the existence of systemic racism and white privilege too. 
    To my knowledge, no one here has ever said the majority of BLM protesters aren’t peaceful. I certainly didn’t say or imply that in the post you replied to.
    Keep arguing against White Privilege to show exactly what White Privilege is.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,259

👏👏👏👏
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,259
    https://twitter.com/nbc6/status/1347890487492046854?s=21
    Did he actually believe he would not get busted man you can’t make this up, man he’s married to a physician and has kids to put your family through this .
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I didn’t argue anything. Someone else posted the media was misleading or something song those lines. Someone else asked what that meant. Having no answer I took my best guess as to what the other guy probably meant. I even said as much, that it was my guess what they probably meant. I never stood behind any of it or said I agreed.
    Not sure what you’re getting at here. Go argue with the guy who made the claim about the media. That wasn’t me.
    you said there was no media coverage of the peaceful ones at the capitol. when Often said there was, you said "not surprising". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2021
    nvm
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • I'm beginning to wonder if this was a coup?  Maybe we all got our emotions played with on this?

Divide us up even more?  Black helicopter talk?  Tin Foil hat?
    The lack of preparation in advance, Trump's inaction in the heat of the moment, the DOD's 90 minute delay in allowing MD to send backup*, the Capitol Police taking selfies w/ the insurrectionists after clashing... there's a lot of questions that need answering here. 

There were guys who stormed the building w/ zip ties & more, they were looking to take hostages. This was not a peaceful protest that went bad. 

* If you haven't watched Larry Hogan's press conference from yesterday, I recommend you do. 
    So here is something else I am noticing.  there were THOUSANDS of people there marching.  We are, and rightfully so, focusing on the chaos that ensued in the Capitol.
    Isn't this what the media focused on during the BLM rallies?  Only the chaos?

That is why I say we are being played.

Are you suggesting this was a false flag? 

If so, that's a bridge too far for me. 
    No no.  The media is definitely not showing how the other 95% behaved.

The Vice President of the United States and our entire Congress was one shattered window away from being attacked, maybe killed, maybe held hostage by a mob.

Yes, the media should have turned their cameras to the picnics on the lawn, the ones being held next to the noose they erected. 

I just can't believe we're having a debate about this. 
    I had initially only saw the people around the building and didn't see the inside footage.  I've been delving through a bunch of it and where that gal got shot was the last line of defense for everyone.

My first reactions are definitely different now.
  • Definitely.

A Texas woman who bragged in a Facebook live stream about storming the U.S. Capitol can vacation in Mexico later this month, a judge said Friday, as the defendant’s case expanded significantly with new federal charges.

Jenny Cudd’s attorney had asked the judge to let her travel this month to Riviera Maya on a four-day trip with employees of her flower shop — “a work-related bonding retreat for employees and their spouses,” attorney Farheena Siddiqui wrote in a motion, saying Cudd attended her scheduled court appearance and has stayed “in constant contact with her attorney.”

Noting that neither Cudd’s pretrial services officer nor the government opposed Cudd’s request for “pre-paid, work-related travel” Feb. 18 through Feb. 21, U.S. District Judge Trevor McFadden wrote that the defendant has no criminal history and said there is “no evidence before the Court suggesting the Defendant is a flight risk or poses a danger to others.”

Jenny Cudd, Texas live streamer who boasted about Capitol attack, can vacation in Mexico, judge says - The Washington Post

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    WP is not having to worry about the substance of your work deemed "too risky" or "too controversial."

Cornel West threatens to leave Harvard again - The Boston Globe
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    edited March 2021
    So I think I was muted today?  An artist I enjoy had posted on Facebook another post which slammed Kenny Wayne Shepherd for buying a Dukes Of Hazzard replica General Lee (taking especial umbrage with his purchase because he's a blues musician).  In her preamble to the repost, she claimed that racism isn't anyone's problem (ie. no one's racist except) white people.  I commented that my experience is that whites are hardly the only racists, with some of the worst racist comments I've heard coming from non-whites (which I've at times, but not every time spoken up against).  Very shortly after I found I was no longer following this singer and my comment was deleted (I did refollow her and it's stayed so far).

Subsequently I saw that in her previous post she clearly said she was only going to have these discussions in "safe spaces" with like-minded individuals, which, had I read that prior to my own comment I might have refrained.  Unfortunately when I tried sending a private message to apologize I found I couldn't for whatever reason (as a celebrity I wouldn't blame her for turning off PMs).

While I will continue to enjoy her music I still believe the only way we'll make meaningful progress is if EVERYONE is given an equal voice at the table and a fulsome examination of all aspects of the issues is done.  Which is not what happened here I feel.

Or is all this my white privilege at play and I need to just shut up, continue to listen to the victims and endure the constant barrage of accusations of being racist simply because I'm white?

As I closed my FB comment, I do want to be clear that I am not trying to downplay or belittle anyone else's lived experiences, I'm always willing to learn, but can only truly speak from my own lived perspective.

Edit:  Being on my laptop instead of my phone I seem to have been able to send an apology.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022