Vinyl help

retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
So I decided get myself a turntable for Christmas, I wanted to keep it in the $300 range for budget purposes. I went with the Fluance RT82. Please feel free to comment on the pros and cons of this choice. I'm definitely no expert, and was just going on reviews and research. I do have a couple of the latest vaults, and the unplugged vinyl because I knew I was going to pull the trigger at some point. My real question is about vinyl, obviously I'd like to start collecting some of the older PJ. Are the new pressings of the older albums good quality, or should I try to find originals? I did notice the unplugged vinyl seems a lot heavier than say..the Let's Play Two vinyl. Does that make a big difference? Just looking for a little guidance I suppose, thanks.
Washington DC 2008
Charlotte NC 2013
Greenville SC 2016
Wrigley 1 2018

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Despite their proclaimed love for the medium, there was poor quality control on old PJ vinyl. None of it is actually analog.

I would go with the newer reissues and then if you start to develop a collector mindset, perhaps you can try to track down the original pressings, but you're not going to notice a huge improvement in sound. 

Weight is just a selling point. They are more durable (less likely to warp, etc), but I wouldn't say that they sound any better. I've got some pretty stellar sounding floppy records in my collection and some abysmal sounding 180g/200g "audiophile" pressings.

More important is where it was pressed, the mastering, and who cut the vinyl.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    retropony said:
    So I decided get myself a turntable for Christmas, I wanted to keep it in the $300 range for budget purposes. I went with the Fluance RT82. Please feel free to comment on the pros and cons of this choice. I'm definitely no expert, and was just going on reviews and research. I do have a couple of the latest vaults, and the unplugged vinyl because I knew I was going to pull the trigger at some point. My real question is about vinyl, obviously I'd like to start collecting some of the older PJ. Are the new pressings of the older albums good quality, or should I try to find originals? I did notice the unplugged vinyl seems a lot heavier than say..the Let's Play Two vinyl. Does that make a big difference? Just looking for a little guidance I suppose, thanks.

Invest in a quality cart and you'll get the best out of your vinyl.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    dankind said:
    Despite their proclaimed love for the medium, there was poor quality control on old PJ vinyl. None of it is actually analog.

I would go with the newer reissues and then if you start to develop a collector mindset, perhaps you can try to track down the original pressings, but you're not going to notice a huge improvement in sound. 

Weight is just a selling point. They are more durable (less likely to warp, etc), but I wouldn't say that they sound any better. I've got some pretty stellar sounding floppy records in my collection and some abysmal sounding 180g/200g "audiophile" pressings.

More important is where it was pressed, the mastering, and who cut the vinyl.
    Excellent info, thank you
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    retropony said:

Invest in a quality cart and you'll get the best out of your vinyl.
    This came with an Ortofon OM10
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    dankind said:

I don't think they ever claimed to be audiophiles. They just had a nostalgia for the format in the face of CDs blowing up.