Canadian Bands/Artists You'd Like Pearl Jam To Cover Live

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
edited January 2021 in The Porch
besides the hip thread I started pre-pandemic, this is my first choice; I think the band would kill this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnQ-Ixnqpe8
Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Comments

• JBC7913JBC7913 Posts: 379
    Headstones
  • Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    I think Ed is a fan of Wintersleep - they were added to the bill at the end of the 2005 tour and then I think it was no coincidence they were on the Calgary 2009 VFest lineup right before PJ. Ed was side stage watching them. If there was a Canadian artist cover aside from NY my guess is it would be something further off the radar like Ed solo doing a Wintersleep song.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Celine
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075
    Gordon Lightfoot, of course. Especially perfect for Ed solo.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    JBC7913 said:
    Headstones
    which tune? been racking my brain trying to figure out which tune would go well with pj's style. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    Neil Young?
    JBC7913 said:
    Headstones
    which tune? been racking my brain trying to figure out which tune would go well with pj's style. 
    Dude, I am just now seeing your handle. I didn’t choose Headstones by that at all, but to answer your question. 

I think PJ covering #$%! You would be awesome. When I saw Headstones at Sound of Music in Burlington a couple summers ago, they played it and I remember thinking PJ would kill this. Similar to MC5’s Kick out the Jams.

Thoughts?
    JBC7913 said:
    JBC7913 said:
    Headstones
    Dude, I am just now seeing your handle. I didn’t choose Headstones by that at all, but to answer your question. 

I think PJ covering #$%! You would be awesome. When I saw Headstones at Sound of Music in Burlington a couple summers ago, they played it and I remember thinking PJ would kill this. Similar to MC5’s Kick out the Jams.

Thoughts?
    one reason I actually think Headstones should retire that song, is that so many people who loved the band from the beginning, are now my age and bringing their young kids to the shows, much like PJ fans my age do. 

I'm always a little uncomfortable during this song, with a bunch of (often loaded) 40/50/60 year olds chanting FUCK YOU over and over again with middle fingers in the air, and seeing a little 10 year old boy standing amongst. it's the one reason I haven't brought my 11 year old daughter to a HS show. She knows they are one of my faves, but i just can't do it, for that reason. I have brought her to weezer and the watchmen (the latter are awesome to the kids at the shows). 

I also find it kind of weird, just from a purely adult standpoint, to be chanting EFF YOU 20 times during a song at a rock show at this point in my life. Probably similar to singing along to Leash. at least for me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    The Guess Who - "American Woman"

I know it's been done by Lenny Kravitz, but I think PJ would rock it. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    LukinFan said:
    The Guess Who - "American Woman"

I know it's been done by Lenny Kravitz, but I think PJ would rock it. 
    they played Runnin' Back To Saskatoon in 2005 in Saskatoon. even though it's obvious why they played it there, would have been cool for them to play GW in winnipeg. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    edited January 2021
    The Band - Chest Fever

https://youtu.be/ERuUgVxi6JM
    Post edited by Gibson on
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

edited January 2021
    CopperTom said:
    No covers.
    hypothetical. don't worry, it's not an official petition or anything. lol
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    Triumph - Magic Power
    This weekend we rock Portland
    JBC7913 said:
    JBC7913 said:
    Headstones

Thoughts?
    one reason I actually think Headstones should retire that song, is that so many people who loved the band from the beginning, are now my age and bringing their young kids to the shows, much like PJ fans my age do. 

I'm always a little uncomfortable during this song, with a bunch of (often loaded) 40/50/60 year olds chanting FUCK YOU over and over again with middle fingers in the air, and seeing a little 10 year old boy standing amongst. it's the one reason I haven't brought my 11 year old daughter to a HS show. She knows they are one of my faves, but i just can't do it, for that reason. I have brought her to weezer and the watchmen (the latter are awesome to the kids at the shows). 

I also find it kind of weird, just from a purely adult standpoint, to be chanting EFF YOU 20 times during a song at a rock show at this point in my life. Probably similar to singing along to Leash. at least for me. 
    All great points. And I can def see it. A part of me who is still 41 and has a 16 and 13 (that are more age appropriate for concerts where there will be songs and language like that) wants them to experience what i got to. And lets face it kids love swearing, i think its their first truly “adult” think for them to do. 

I will say, when Hugh is off stage, and we got to  meet him after their set at Sound of Music, he was totally different cat. I found him very fan friendly. 
    JBC7913 said:
    JBC7913 said:
    JBC7913 said:
    Headstones

Thoughts?

All great points. And I can def see it. A part of me who is still 41 and has a 16 and 13 (that are more age appropriate for concerts where there will be songs and language like that) wants them to experience what i got to. And lets face it kids love swearing, i think its their first truly “adult” think for them to do. 

I will say, when Hugh is off stage, and we got to  meet him after their set at Sound of Music, he was totally different cat. I found him very fan friendly. 
    With the odd exception of my kids. they both give me shit whenever i drop a bomb. lol. i think that she might also find the crowd kind of intimidating. i am always in the pit. if i took her i'd get a seat. but being constrained by a seat at at headstones show seems odd to me. plus she only wants to go because she wants to do "daddy stuff", not because she likes the music. if they are still playing in 10 years and if she's still into it, we'll go together. i go to classic rock shows with my dad all the time. 

plus i'm always wanting to catch my second harmonica from hugh. lol. 

i met him once, through a meet n greet. he was pretty aloof the whole time, just staring at his phone and not really interested in interacting it seemed. i introduced myself but he already knew who i was. plus those meet and greets are so damned rushed, it was like snapping a quick selfie with someone you see passing on the street. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    I think Rush is the most likely one to happen in real life. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    JBC7913 said:
    JBC7913 said:
    Headstones

Thoughts?

I love that headstones song.  There's no way they should retire it :)

It'd be like going to Rage Against the Machine and not singing a long to killing in the name of.

I will say that the headstones usually play bars here so playing it in front of kids isn't really an issue.  I guess it would be at the upcoming tea party/moist/headstones tour.

Are swear words that bad?  How young were most of us when we start seeking out cd's because they had those warnings on the cover.. lol.

Zod said:
    JBC7913 said:
    JBC7913 said:
    Headstones

Thoughts?

It'd be like going to Rage Against the Machine and not singing a long to killing in the name of.

I will say that the headstones usually play bars here so playing it in front of kids isn't really an issue.  I guess it would be at the upcoming tea party/moist/headstones tour.

Are swear words that bad?  How young were most of us when we start seeking out cd's because they had those warnings on the cover.. lol.

it's a tad different when I'm encouraging it as her father. it's not just the swearing. headstones crowds can be kind of....rough. especially if the show is a weekend. 

when they first reunited they were playing 300 seat bars. now they are playing 1000-2000 seat venues, sometimes two or three night stands. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 831
    edited April 2022
    The Hip - Grace, Too

Post edited by jpdannabelle on
    ...........and Evelyn 

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Poncier said:
    Triumph - Magic Power
    https://youtu.be/eQNma7xjMGE
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Zod said:
    JBC7913 said:
    JBC7913 said:
    Headstones

Thoughts?

it's a tad different when I'm encouraging it as her father. it's not just the swearing. headstones crowds can be kind of....rough. especially if the show is a weekend. 

when they first reunited they were playing 300 seat bars. now they are playing 1000-2000 seat venues, sometimes two or three night stands. 
    True.   All this thread has done is made me jones for a Headstones bar show.   They always kick tremendous ass live and I have such a good time.   We've got tickets in hand for the arena tour, but seeing the headstones (or tea party for that matter) in a bar is always epic :)
    Zod said:
    Zod said:
    JBC7913 said:
    JBC7913 said:
    Headstones

Thoughts?

True.   All this thread has done is made me jones for a Headstones bar show.   They always kick tremendous ass live and I have such a good time.   We've got tickets in hand for the arena tour, but seeing the headstones (or tea party for that matter) in a bar is always epic :)
    yeah, my least favourite headstone show was seeing them in Kingston at the arena. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• nm219369nm219369 Posts: 204
    The Man-Moon Newfie from Stompin' Tom
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    I think Ed is a fan of Wintersleep - they were added to the bill at the end of the 2005 tour and then I think it was no coincidence they were on the Calgary 2009 VFest lineup right before PJ. Ed was side stage watching them. If there was a Canadian artist cover aside from NY my guess is it would be something further off the radar like Ed solo doing a Wintersleep song.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOuJUnRwG5M
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024