Led Zeppelin

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
edited December 2020 in Other Music
40 yrs ago today the band called it quits after Bonzo's passing.

. A 4 December 1980 press statement stated that, "We wish it to be known that the loss of our dear friend, and the deep sense of undivided harmony felt by ourselves and our manager, have led us to decide that we could not continue as we were." The statement was signed simply "Led Zeppelin".

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by mickeyrat on

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Damn, 40 years
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    edited December 2020
    I continue to wonder what people thought when Zep I hit. Then II. That opening riff, fuck me
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    mickeyrat said:
    I continue to wonder what people thought when Zep I hit. Then II. That opening riff, fuck me
    Led Zep II is one of my favorite albums of all time. Definitely in my top 10, maybe top 5.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    mickeyrat said:

When LZ I hit, I thought it was great, and even more so because a friend of mine brought his Les Paul and Marshall amp over to my house one day and started playing me some really cool Jimmy Page riffs.  Fantastic!  I wonder what eve happened to that guy?

The first time I heard LZ II I was in shall we say, an altered state of mind, and by the end of "Whole Lotta Love" I was damn near freaking out.  :lol: 

Yep, great stuff those first two albums.

Many years later- the summer of 1996 to be exact- I was reminiscing about those days with my father.  He said to me, "Remember when The Led Zeppelin played at your sister's graduation dance?" 
    I said, "Well, actually, Pop, the band that played after her graduation was Quicksilver Messenger Service, and the band you mentioned is  actually just 'Led Zeppelin', not 'The Led Zeppelin'".
    "OH NO! he argued, "I was on the committee that helped pick the band.  I'm SURE it was "The Led Zeppelin!"
    "OK, Pop.  Whatever you say!"  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Listening to No Quarter right now.  Jimmy"s riff is amazing, Robert is as always a show stopper, Bonzo's simplicity works so well on this tune, JPJ's bass is bone rattling...man would have loved to see them in the 70s
    hrd2imgn said:
    Listening to No Quarter right now.  Jimmy"s riff is amazing, Robert is as always a show stopper, Bonzo's simplicity works so well on this tune, JPJ's bass is bone rattling...man would have loved to see them in the 70s

the remastered song remains the same version is phenomenal

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    The reissues are amazing. Have the entire catalog on CD. Including the super deluxe In Through The Out Door. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

When LZ I hit, I thought it was great, and even more so because a friend of mine brought his Les Paul and Marshall amp over to my house one day and started playing me some really cool Jimmy Page riffs.  Fantastic!  I wonder what eve happened to that guy?

The first time I heard LZ II I was in shall we say, an altered state of mind, and by the end of "Whole Lotta Love" I was damn near freaking out.  :lol: 

Many years later- the summer of 1996 to be exact- I was reminiscing about those days with my father.  He said to me, "Remember when The Led Zeppelin played at your sister's graduation dance?" 
    I said, "Well, actually, Pop, the band that played after her graduation was Quicksilver Messenger Service, and the band you mentioned is  actually just 'Led Zeppelin', not 'The Led Zeppelin'".
    "OH NO! he argued, "I was on the committee that helped pick the band.  I'm SURE it was "The Led Zeppelin!"
    When a similarly aged friend of mine first heard Led Zeppelin back in the day, he thought it was new Janis/Big Brother music.

That always gives me chuckle.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

When a similarly aged friend of mine first heard Led Zeppelin back in the day, he thought it was new Janis/Big Brother music.

That always gives me chuckle.

he did a lot of drugs didn't he.....

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I remember being in the back of the car going home from church when I was probably about 12 and hearing Black Dog on the radio.  I'll never forget hearing that song for what I remember being the first time.

All of their albums are great but Physical Graffiti is probably my favorite.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Dazed & Confused is the first song I learned to play on bass... God damn I Love this band and while I'm happy to have been born when I was ('77) to appreciate the '90s at IMO a perfect age, Zep is one of the bands I regret not being around for while they were active. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Rock and Roll was my first love...funny that it is probably number 25-30 at this point.  SO many great, great songs. 
    One of my favorite mixes to put on out by the pool.  I love almost every song like an old friend.
    Friends off LZIII is amazing...

My buddy and I used to sit around and figure out songs on our guitars.  Probably 1984 or so.  I remember he figured out Ten Years Gone and we used to play that together.  Back before youtube videos and readily available tablature

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    edited December 2020
    I remember being in the back of the car going home from church when I was probably about 12 and hearing Black Dog on the radio.  I'll never forget hearing that song for what I remember being the first time.

Here is a recent photo I took of the Physical Graffiti building. It is a few blocks from where I live. I always take out of town friends to see it. For the album cover they had to remove a floor to make it fit on the square cover. You can’t see it in this photo but one of the shops in the building is a tea shop called Physical Graffitea. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    GlowGirl said:

Here is a recent photo I took of the Physical Graffiti building. It is a few blocks from where I live. I always take out of town friends to see it. For the album cover they had to remove a floor to make it fit on the square cover. You can’t see it in this photo but one of the shops in the building is a tea shop called Physical Graffitea. 
    Very Cool!
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Zep mix-tape blastin' the first time did the nawty. Pretty sure I popped during "All of My Love." :lol:
    Hobbes said:
    Zep mix-tape blastin' the first time did the nawty. Pretty sure I popped during "All of My Love." :lol:
    It’s funny how you remember those things. Mine was AC/DC Back in Black. 
    Was listening to The Doors before we got out of the car to throw down.
    Light My Fire.  🔥 🚒
    GlowGirl said:

that's cool....

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    GlowGirl said:

I'm always amazed how that place never became a shrine of some sorts.
    They seem to have cleaned it up since I last passed by. But that was probably over ten years gone now.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    eddiec said:
    GlowGirl said:

I'm always amazed how that place never became a shrine of some sorts.
    They seem to have cleaned it up since I last passed by. But that was probably over ten years gone now.
    :sunglasses:
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Still my favorite concert experience ever both times I saw them 75&77, the anticipation of it all was overwhelming for a 15 year old specially opening of Rock&Roll Bonso’s drumming it’s ingrained in my memory bank! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    My early LZ exposure was all on rock radio in the 90's, which meant it was usually Kashmir, Rock & Roll or Black Dog. While I liked them all, I didn't really get into them until they released those BBC sessions. That got me hooked. Soon after I bought Physical Graffiti, Houses of the Holy and finally, when i had the cash, the box set remasters. Never purchased the first 4 albums.

BBC version of Since I've Been Loving You made it onto a make out tape as well. Remember playing the CD in my dad's decked out F150 with the 6 disc changer for make outs and the mix tape in my dorm on the tape deck. Wish I could remember the other songs I put on that tape...

It's a hopeless situation...
    edited December 2020
    tbergs said:
    My early LZ exposure was all on rock radio in the 90's, which m8eant it was usually Kashmir, Rock & Roll or Black Dog. While I liked them all, I didn't really get into them until they released those BBC sessions. That got me hooked. Soon after I bought Physical Graffiti, Houses of the Holy and finally, when i had the cash, the box set remasters. Never purchased the first 4 albums.

BBC version of Since I've Been Loving You made it onto a make out tape as well. Remember playing the CD in my dad's decked out F150 with the 6 disc changer for make outs and the mix tape in my dorm on the tape deck. Wish I could remember the other songs I put on that tape...

its my considered opinion that you should correct the error and buy the first 4 asap.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Hobbes said:
    Appetite for Destruction ✔️
    Convertible ✔️
    She snuck out the house ✔️
    Behind a church ✔️
    Grass lawn ✔️
    Raining ✔️
    Jack Daniels ✔️
    Moon light ✔️
    Neighbors probably watching from backyards ✔️
    Rocket Queen ✔️
    Rocket probably took off too quick 🔥 🚀😆
    Keep it classy ✔️

Did you Know: Slash wanted the original line in PC to be, “Take me down to the Paradise City where the girls are fat and they got big titties”
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    mickeyrat said:
    tbergs said:
    My early LZ exposure was all on rock radio in the 90's, which m8eant it was usually Kashmir, Rock & Roll or Black Dog. While I liked them all, I didn't really get into them until they released those BBC sessions. That got me hooked. Soon after I bought Physical Graffiti, Houses of the Holy and finally, when i had the cash, the box set remasters. Never purchased the first 4 albums.

its my considered opinion that you should correct the error and buy the first 4 asap.
    I agree with mickeyrat with this^^^^^
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2021
    The first LZ album/songs I ever heard was LZ III, when I was 13, and I fell completely in love immediately. They are a big part of why I am such a music addict. They are and always will be one of my top 3.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    another thread sparked a decision to run through the catalog. my assigned semi sounds decent enough for a 2 speaker stock system.

my ram 1500 on the other hand.... its stock as well but its an alpine with surround capability.  JPJs bass is fat, forward and crisp and clear...

just fucking amazed still at just how good these fuckers were

I am surprised at how good they were but also surprised that Page never seemed to maintain his presence.  His writing and playing both fell off after LZ.

I am surprised at how good they were but also surprised that Page never seemed to maintain his presence.  His writing and playing both fell off after LZ.
    Don’t forget about the Firm  :). I actually saw them in concert.