Options

***Not for You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense (Book)****

13»

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,313
    edited October 2020
    KV4053 said:
    Does it have a lot of photos?  Trying to decide between Kindle and Hardcover.  Thanks!
    No. Rarely any photos
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,996
    edited October 2020
    igotid88 said:
    tdawe said:
    I am enjoying this book so far but man, whoever edited it should have taken at least one more pass. 
    I'm not a grammar expert but I see this sometimes 
    It’s mostly the extra commas and sentence fragments that annoy me; I can see how a couple of those can get missed but not this many. On the other hand get a load of this:

Sometimes I catch myself writing - in internet message board comments - like this - with a million dashes - or parentheses, sometimes - and I’ll go back and fix that shit. If you’re (presumably) getting paid to edit a book for publication, how do you let that go?

I honestly don’t mean any of this as shade toward the author. I’m enjoying the book quite a bit. It’s a really nice synthesis between band history and fan memoir. I don’t agree with all of his specific opinions on songs and albums and shows and whatnot, but I didn’t expect to and frankly it would be kind of disturbing if I did. If you can handle 400 pages of someone else’s opinions on Pearl Jam without getting the chance to interrupt and get your own $0.02 in, then I definitely recommend this book.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,439
    tdawe said:
    igotid88 said:
    tdawe said:
    I am enjoying this book so far but man, whoever edited it should have taken at least one more pass. 
    I'm not a grammar expert but I see this sometimes 
    It’s mostly the extra commas and sentence fragments that annoy me; I can see how a couple of those can get missed but not this many. On the other hand get a load of this:

Sometimes I catch myself writing - in internet message board comments - like this - with a million dashes - or parentheses, sometimes - and I’ll go back and fix that shit. If you’re (presumably) getting paid to edit a book for publication, how do you let that go?

I honestly don’t mean any of this as shade toward the author. I’m enjoying the book quite a bit. It’s a really nice synthesis between band history and fan memoir. I don’t agree with all of his specific opinions on songs and albums and shows and whatnot, but I didn’t expect to and frankly it would be kind of disturbing if I did. If you can handle 400 pages of someone else’s opinions on Pearl Jam without getting the chance to interrupt and get your own $0.02 in, then I definitely recommend this book.
    Outsourced shitty editing is common in publishing today. 
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Leery of any book whose author kept using the term "director's cut".  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    About 40 pages in & I’m not sure what to make of it yet. It seems like the author is trying really hard to not be a fan. Trashing MLB’s work was painful to read. Not sure what to make of comments on Ed going from an Anthony Keidis imitator to his Pearl Jam ‘form’ for lack of a better term all inside of a years time. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,070
    I took this book out of the library and am glad I did. While the early stuff is somewhat interesting, it's a tedious read. About the halfway mark I started flipping through it, mostly looking for anything on shows I've attended. It's a good idea but one that could have better executed.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    I took this book out of the library and am glad I did. While the early stuff is somewhat interesting, it's a tedious read. About the halfway mark I started flipping through it, mostly looking for anything on shows I've attended. It's a good idea but one that could have better executed.
    Same for me, I have read the first part quite quickly but going through the second part was really hard.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?