cartridge and stylus choices

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
edited December 2020 in Other Music
school me.......
pros and cons of one over another etc....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    I mean, a lot of it is personal taste. On top of it, certain cartridges work better with different tables. 

I think your best bet is to google your table and “replacement cartridge” and see what audiophile forums you get and read what people’s thoughts are. 

I think by and large Ortofon and grade are the most popular and go to. Ive had a couple of grades over the years (blue, gold 2 and a reference series). Been real happy with them.
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    I have an Ortofon bronze and a blue and I’m happy with both 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I use a denon 300f (I Feel like I'm getting that wrong).  Bought it was an Ortofon Red, and then a friend sold me his Ortofon Blue.  The upgrade made a pretty solid difference.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Give them a few weeks to really shine.  Like 100 hours of playtime
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    Zod said:
    I use a denon 300f (I Feel like I'm getting that wrong).  Bought it was an Ortofon Red, and then a friend sold me his Ortofon Blue.  The upgrade made a pretty solid difference.
     I have that same TT, and I use the Ortofon Red. If you think the Blue makes a huge difference, I may just have to get that one.

• madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    I have a Project Debut Carbon, and I just upgraded to the Ortofon Blue. It hasn't had break in time, but I immediately noticed a difference.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited December 2020
    This really doesn't help you, but a while ago I was reading about how much to spend on a new cartridge because I was looking to upgrade and I didn't want to put an expensive cartridge on an average turntable and waste money on a cartridge that the table wasn't able to utilize. As I did more research I found some thoughts that your cartridge should cost about 1/3 of the cost of your turntable. Now I'm not sure how they came up with that number, but it kinda made sense to me.

So on a $500 TT, the cartridge would be about $165. A $1500 TT you would want to put an equivalent of about a $500 cartridge.

For Christmas I am updating my setup, and I went with the pretty much the ratio above when deciding on mine.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    MedozK said:
    This really doesn't help you, but a while ago I was reading about how much to spend on a new cartridge because I was looking to upgrade and I didn't want to put an expensive cartridge on an average turntable and waste money on a cartridge that the table wasn't able to utilize. As I did more research I found some thoughts that your cartridge should cost about 1/3 of the cost of your turntable. Now I'm not sure how they came up with that number, but it kinda made sense to me.

So on a $500 TT, the cartridge would be about $165. A $1500 TT you would want to put an equivalent of about a $500 cartridge.

For Christmas I am updating my setup, and I went with the pretty much the ratio above when deciding on mine.
    Using that theory, the Red is probably fine for my TT. The Blue would be about 1/2 the cost of the TT. At some point I am going to upgrade my system, but I just got this one and it is a nice starter for me. It should be fine for the next few years at least. Then I will look into a TT upgrade. I just really enjoy the fully automatic feature of the Denon.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    MedozK said:

that IS helpful info. but you're right, for my particular applications , not so much.

so for vintage tts, what would your estimation be?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm in the market for a new TT as my Project Carbon Debut motor thumping is driving me to distraction.  Because so much of the sound quality from a TT relates to the cartridge, and because I've been quite happy with the red Ortofon, I'll thinking of going  with a Technics SL1500C which comes stock with the Ortofon red.   

I would think a lot of what needs to be considered in choosing a cartridge has to do with your budget and your adaptability.  SOme people have a variety of carts and can change them around as they wish and are more open to experimentation. I'm the kind of person who resists change when it comes to aesthetics.  If it look good, sounds good, tastes good, don't mess with the recipe.  If you like change and are adaptable, your choices will be greater.  If you have the budget, try a few different cartridges and see what works best for you.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    I'm in the market for a new TT as my Project Carbon Debut motor thumping is driving me to distraction.  Because so much of the sound quality from a TT relates to the cartridge, and because I've been quite happy with the red Ortofon, I'll thinking of going  with a Technics SL1500C which comes stock with the Ortofon red.   

I would think a lot of what needs to be considered in choosing a cartridge has to do with your budget and your adaptability.  SOme people have a variety of carts and can change them around as they wish and are more open to experimentation. I'm the kind of person who resists change when it comes to aesthetics.  If it look good, sounds good, tastes good, don't mess with the recipe.  If you like change and are adaptable, your choices will be greater.  If you have the budget, try a few different cartridges and see what works best for you.

I've never experienced the common motor thump, but I don't know if it because I added a speed box shortly after it was purchased.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    I have a Project Debut Carbon, and I just upgraded to the Ortofon Blue. It hasn't had break in time, but I immediately noticed a difference.

Did you upgrade the platter along with the Blue?
  • Out of curiosity, how often do you folks change out your stylus, and how do you know when it's time... is it as simple as the sound quality suffering? 

Noob here, obviously. 
    Out of curiosity, how often do you folks change out your stylus, and how do you know when it's time... is it as simple as the sound quality suffering? 

Noob here, obviously. 

A year or two ago I wondered the same thing and asked some of the audiophile folks at .stevehoffman.tv.  The general consensus seems to be every 1,000 hours of play time.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

GlowGirl said:
    Zod said:
     I have that same TT, and I use the Ortofon Red. If you think the Blue makes a huge difference, I may just have to get that one.

Yah it made quite the difference.  The nice thing about the ortofon is the catridge is the same.  You only need to upgrade the stylus to go from red to blue.   It's a bit cheaper than replacing the entire cartridge.
  • brianlux said:
    Out of curiosity, how often do you folks change out your stylus, and how do you know when it's time... is it as simple as the sound quality suffering? 

Noob here, obviously. 

A year or two ago I wondered the same thing and asked some of the audiophile folks at .stevehoffman.tv.  The general consensus seems to be every 1,000 hours of play time.

Thanks.
    brianlux said:

Noob here, obviously. 

That could take a long while for me.   I probably find the time to spin 1 or 2 records a week.   That's probably 10 to 20 years for me to wear down a stylus.   It never even occurred to me they could wear out.  Friend of mind was telling they were out after a few years, but it's probably because has spends more time listening to his records than I do.
    eddiec said:

Did you upgrade the platter along with the Blue?
    I have not upgraded the platter, though I've had my eye on the acrylic replacement for quite some time. 
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    lets include headshells to the mix too.
    are these model specific or fairly universal across brands?

carts and stylus need to match by brand with headshell not as specific?

Zod said:
    brianlux said:

Noob here, obviously. 

That could take a long while for me.   I probably find the time to spin 1 or 2 records a week.   That's probably 10 to 20 years for me to wear down a stylus.   It never even occurred to me they could wear out.  Friend of mind was telling they were out after a few years, but it's probably because has spends more time listening to his records than I do.
    At one time I would have said a stylus would last me maybe  year and a half.  Now days, as much as I love music, I limit my music time due to hearing issues so I'm guessing a stylus will last me more like 5 years.

moving magnet or moving coil?

MedozK said:

nice. thanks.

what are your views on slip mats ? cork vs rubber/silicon vs leather?

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited December 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    MedozK said:

nice. thanks.

what are your views on slip mats ? cork vs rubber/silicon vs leather?
    I personally use a cork mat, which I enjoy, before that I always had problem with static using felt mats. Leather, I have ready is good, but I have never personally used one.
    so what other resources do you guys utilize?

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2020
    Isn't it fun having a hobby
    MedozK said:

This is excellent indeed!  It gives enough information and clear and understandable terms to give me a sense of confidence that the MM Red Ortofon I have is a good choice for my needs  wants.  Thanks for posting it!

mickeyrat said:
    so what other resources do you guys utilize?

Good question!  I was always very happy with the service I got through Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor but, sadly, they are no where.  Where to next?

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Looking at replacing my cart and stylus for my AT-LP120xUSB. Using what came with it and looking at moving up to the ATVM540ML Red. Anyone have experience with this cart?
    www.cluthelee.com