Options

***The Official Boxing Thread**

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    PJNB said:
    Roy Jones vs Tyson! I remember Jones always wanted to fight Tyson before he retired. Crazy 17 years later we are getting the fight!
    It's like Rocky VII where he goes in to reinstate his boxing license.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    I have purchased a lot of dumb fights in my life, including many many Roy Jones fights. Mike Tyson is one of my favorite athletes of all time. I will not support this 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I have purchased a lot of dumb fights in my life, including many many Roy Jones fights. Mike Tyson is one of my favorite athletes of all time. I will not support this 
    Why not?  A couple of legends going at it in an exhibition match, it's awesome. 
    Boxing is, and always has been, a sideshow sport anyways, so why not embrace it?  
    I also like the angle that people are fitter and healthier into their older years than ever before and senior sports deserve respect.
    It's ok for an 85 year old to drive the ball 100 yards in golf and everyone cheers, but a man can't fight professionally after 40?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    rgambs said:
    Boxing is, and always has been, a sideshow sport anyways, so why not embrace it?  
    I also like the angle that people are fitter and healthier into their older years than ever before and senior sports deserve respect.
    It's ok for an 85 year old to drive the ball 100 yards in golf and everyone cheers, but a man can't fight professionally after 40?
    I don't know, man. YouTube 'James Toney' Punch Drunk.

• Options
    eddiec said:
    rgambs said:
    I don't know, man. YouTube 'James Toney' Punch Drunk.

Wasn't he born that way? lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Sideshow?  C'mon.  Pugelism is the purest form of sporting.  

Tyson vs Jones reminds me of two things.  Rocky VI and the Geezers at Caesars.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Sideshow?  C'mon.  Pugelism is the purest form of sporting.  

Tyson vs Jones reminds me of two things.  Rocky VI and the Geezers at Caesars.
    Fireworks, costumed ring entrances, scantily clad ring girls, betting culture, half-literate crime prone participants...it's a sideshow.
    I do think combat and footracing are the purest forms of sporting, but pugelism is probably the most bastardized form of combat sporting.  What, like people don't have legs?  No opposable thumbs to grasp with? 😆

I like boxing plenty, but this isn't any more ridiculous than Butterbean, Don King, or the second half of most boxers' careers, not to mention their outside the ring lives.
    Both of those guys are bad dudes that could beat younger men and should still have a place of some sort in the sport if they want it.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
    Anyone watch the Tyson/Roy Jones Jr. fight last night? I didn’t but heard Tyson should have won instead of it being a draw. Also I Jake Paul gets his ass knocked out in his next fight.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    Anyone watch the Tyson/Roy Jones Jr. fight last night? I didn’t but heard Tyson should have won instead of it being a draw. Also I Jake Paul gets his ass knocked out in his next fight.
    I watched it this morning. It was actually decent. Tyson still looks good for a guy his age, but if he couldn't manhandle Jones Jr at this stage, can't see him doing any damage to the division- which seems like his goal all along. In his post fight interview he admits not caring about dying. 
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,286
    Tyson won the match. You could tell they were going to call it a draw from the  beginning.  Also was Vinny giving most of the rounds to Roy?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Fight night! Let’s go Philly!
  • Options
    Fiiiiighr night! Heavyweight fight night! 
  • Options
    This is a great fight: let’s hope at least 
  • Options
    This is fucking awesome
  • Options
    Great fight
  • Options
    That was an amazing fight 
  • Options
    Do not understand how a human that big is that fit 
  • Options
    Hello old friend. Looking forward to this evening 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Heeeeelllo…

I don’t know how to not buy a fight, especially the biggest of the year…
  • Options
    Absolute domination. Fun fight though

Won a couple bets and covered the pay per view and a bit more, so that’s always nice 

• Options

Won a couple bets and covered the pay per view and a bit more, so that’s always nice 

How was the main card?  We watched the MMA bout instead.
  • Options

How was the main card?  We watched the MMA bout instead.
    Very entertaining. Lopsided...Bud beat the shit out of him, so the result wasn't really in question from the 2nd round on, but it was entertaining and obviously a great performance from him
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448
    edited July 2023

We watched the MMA bout 
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448

We watched the MMA bout instead.
    one of America’s many problems.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

We watched the MMA bout instead.
    one of America’s many problems.
    Boxing is run by promoters and they don't do the fights that people want to see.  That is why MMA is better.  

Show me fighters in their primes wanting to go up against the best and not dodge competitors.

Tyson vs Foreman?

De La Hoya vs a younger Chavez?

Maywether vs younger Pacquiao?

This very fight should have happened a few years ago.

I can go on and on.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
    anyone gonna watch the Mike Tyson/Jake Paul fight on Netflix later this year?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    No, and Paul will probably win but if Tyson separated his head from his body, that would be a good thing for the world 
  • Options
    No, and Paul will probably win but if Tyson separated his head from his body, that would be a good thing for the world 
    Paul sets himself up for wins.

Anderson Silva about 10 years past his prime?  Yeah...